THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Both Get Back configurations are currently absent from the UK & European Beatles store, which is puzzling.

2. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Somebody reedited the "then there were two" moment to present it more complete and give it more context by adding in more original audio.
    I think it is not quite complete, as it misses the reactions to the famous line as caught on audio and presented on the They May Be Parted website.
    But a insightful job anyway.

theMess, Dradge, jacden and 19 others like this.
  3. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

Between that dialog and John’s Playboy Interview, I legitimately feel bad for Paul. From the moment Brian died, he did everything he could to keep everything together and to keep on going. He was resented and considered bossy and was publicly trashed by John in that interview for doing so. It’s a shame how he was treated and scapegoated.

Layla35, richarm, jacden and 22 others like this.
  4. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Would imagine it will be pretty soon, there is still over a month to go until release.

5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

'I Want To Hold Your Hand' is more immediate - someone knows what they want and now. 'It Won't Be Long' is more of a promise, it could take a fortnight to things to happen, and the word play was a little too cutesy, imo; its use in the Anthology series is perfect.

6. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

I also thought they used it really well in "The Compleat Beatles"

Lewisboogie and notesfrom like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I Want To Hold Your Hand' is more immediate.
    And "It Won't Be Long' is indeed more of a promise.
    But Ringo singing about "Boys" is pushing the envelope... ;)

lobo, longdist01, ODIrony and 2 others like this.
  8. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Get Back is on some European Amazon sites for preorder now.

longdist01 and Carl80 like this.
  9. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I am also not too sure wether the author of the video has applied the right audio to the Paul-holds-back-the-tears scene. The bit where he says "I don`t know" seems to fit, as Paul does mutter something here* (conceiled by his beard and hand over mouth however), but the following bit, where he says (after a cut to Ringo) that he can`t be bothered does not look very much like he talking on the film.
    *EDIT: In Get Back that is the moment where he says "and then there were two", something we know was not followed by silence but more talk.

thrivingonariff and ex_mixer like this.
  10. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Yes, I've been wondering about this scene as well as I've now seen a few conflicting 'presentations' of it. I was wondering if anyone here could shed any light? Those familiar with the Nagra tapes, what actually is the correct transcription for this scene? Or where can I find transcriptions of this scene? I'm so confused now. It doesn't help that seemingly everyone who is now re-presenting this scene seems to have their own agenda, too.

11. AwaitingOnYouAl

AwaitingOnYouAl Only a Northern

Damn.

12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

It’s available on HMV as well over here, wondering if Japan might bring something Ltd out as well, not sure who to order from yet.

13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The "A/B Road" bootleg compiled by Purple Chick -- someone actually when through the 90 hours of Nagra reels and edited them in sequence (!) -- is your best bet for all the conversations in context and with the original pauses, spaces, and for better or worse, extraneous noise.

Here's an overview:

A/B Road Complete Get Back Sessions (collection) - The Paul McCartney Project

theMess, Dradge, Helmuth and 4 others like this.
  14. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

Well, it's taken some time but I finally got there. What a spectacle. So much to take in. It was quite a journey - sometimes full of joy, sometimes there was conflict and other times moments of sheer tedium.
    But, I've finally made it to the end of the thread.

Dradge, drad dog, graystoke and 11 others like this.
  15. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

care to give us a cliff notes version?

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  16. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

We do have that effect on people. ;)

forthlin and ODIrony like this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Ha!Quite!
    Reading this entire thread takes more time than watching 'Get Back'.

18. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Given that PJ, with all of the resources he had access to, couldn't -- or in some instances chose not to -- match all of the audio in his film with video, it's highly unlikely anyone else would do better. But in the case of this (supposedly) "teary Paul" scene, does it really matter? We know from other things that Paul said at the time and subsequently how he felt about the group's situation, so this "then there were two" statement -- whatever his feelings were when he said it -- doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. It's just a moment that people have focused on for its presumed melodramatic value, which is ultimately of no real importance.

19. thrivingonariff

Which has no rooftop finale.

20. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

And look at what the break up did to him, Paul, Nov. 1969. A sad sight indeed.

Layla35, Ken Wood and ODIrony like this.
  21. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

22. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

I love his comments (from years ago) about writing with Paul.

He said of the songs that they written together, the songs that sound like Paul, are his, and the songs that sound like him, are Paul's.

23. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I don`t doubt Paul held back the tears and had a generally tough time. Neither do I want to hang an agenda on the PJ film. Just wanted to make that clear (again).
    But I am interested in how things were the same way I am interested where a edit in a song is, wether a studio chat belongs before or after this or that take and who sings the "ahhs". :D
    I am just that kind of fan. Once this kind of stuff is established (if possible) one can speculate or interpret, which is fun in itself and totally legitimate but it follows the truth-seeking and does not precede it.

24. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Writing face to face says a lot about the sympathetic music process itself so I can only imagine what the Fabs brought out in each other. No wait, after Get Back I think I have a pretty good idea now. :)

ODIrony likes this.
  25. thrivingonariff

Speaking as someone who also takes an interest in minor details such as who sang the "aahs," I get that. I just don't think the determination of exactly what Paul's feelings were at the moment when he said "and then there were two" -- and it may need to be pointed out that even if we had the correct sync'd audio and video of that scene, we still really wouldn't know exactly what he was feeling -- is worthy of the emphasis that it's been given here (and elsewhere), since we generally already know how Paul felt about the group's deterioration at this time. But then, I'm not one of the "oh, poor Paul, it's all just so sad" types.

Lost In The Flood and Ken Wood like this.