THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I'm surprised this wasn't raised earlier. On the 30 Days boot the rooftop concert runs for 46:12 versus the 38 minutes or so this official release runs.

2. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

3. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Was it true that the band was going to do 'A Day In The Life' on the roof but nixed the idea because of the weight considerations of an 80 piece orchestra?
    Maybe that was the 8 minute difference?
    :--)

ODIrony and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  4. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yeah! If only someone could apply that patented New Zealand technology to clean it up.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  5. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Mr. Giles said it takes up too much “real estate” yet they have a 15 minute “EP” on there.

I’m really irate, because my album box set is now incomplete and there’s no physical version of this release. I want gonna get the set but got suckered by the series, so I got the records.

This sucks lol…

6. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

Yes, I personally think any 2022 Beatles releases will all be Get Back/Let It Be related, a physical release of the Rooftop would be the next logical step, maybe tied in with RSD.
    The Let It Be movie on Blu-ray maybe in the summer and then November would be the logical time for an extended cut of Get Back. I have not totally given up on some kind of soundtrack release.
    I am probably wrong, but we can hope.

TC

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

coffeetime likes this.
  8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I didn’t fall for the remixed / remastered set since they did not include the complete rooftop performance. Giles is full of it with this lame excuse.

9. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

So, we actually ARE getting a Super Duper Deluxe Edition! It’s just that it’s getting spread across 5 or 6 releases.

10. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

Listening to the FLAC version... Finally a cohesive mix of this great concert! Never sounded so good! I KNEW they had to release this!
    It's a great time to be a Beatles fan (and there's never been a bad time to be one!)
    I'm ready for a full soundtrack!

11. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

While "there was just too much already" excuse is weird and lame, it's most likely not for Giles or Sam to have final say on what is included and what is not, he said so himself.

In another interview a few years ago he also said that there's concern that these sets contain too much outtakes (even Peter Jackson said somehing like "how many times people want to listen to Get Back versions"), which someone thinks can overshadow the main thing, which is obviously new mix. Pepper, Abbey Road sets had 2-3 outtake discs, the only exception was the white album, because by their logic it allowed more extra stuff because it has way more songs on the album. And in all of these cases people pointed out that the amount of CDs could've been less, if they would fill them to 74+ minutes instead of 50-something.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  12. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

It’ll be A Cold Day In the Life before that orchestral footage is ever released considering the rooftop’s adverse weather conditions. ;)

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  13. steepien

steepien Forum Resident

Wow. I had pretty much given up hope that we would be getting this. The box set seemed like the perfect place to put it and I never in a million years thought it would get a standalone release. It debuting on streaming makes a lot of sense though.

They actually exceeded my expectations a bit, I always thought if we were to get the rooftop performance it would just be the songs, but all the in between chatter, ambience, and warm-ups have been kept in. Some people have pointed out that the Nagras run longer but based on some of the cuts I think this is everything recorded on the multitrack (don't quote me on that though). It's seems they just gave us literally everything they had, which is pretty awesome.

Sidenote: I just realized that random noodling crossfaded with the album version of Get Back is from the Dig a Pony warm-up. It seems so obvious now but I never noticed it until hearing it in stereo. :doh:

Mike M and supermd like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m only on Get Back Take 2, but I’m also really enjoying what chatter they left in. What a treat. I’m digging this! And just in time for my new AV receiver!

I also have to say this is SO MUCH BETTER having seen Get Back a couple times and the rooftop about 6 times. I feel the journey they went through now. I’m way more emotionally connected to this live performance. Thank you, Peter Jackson.

Don’t Let Me Down is on now. Loving this. John’s rhythm sounds dirty and gritty and it’s awesome.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Mike M, Diego Lucas, raveoned and 8 others like this.
  15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I dunno, I am too stoked about this release so immediately being met with people here cursing Giles that the thing that is being released anyway, wasn't on the other set that is not short of gems in its own right, just strike me as a bit much lol

Just for some perspective, what a great few months to be a fan of this band's music. So much amazing content

Dradge, davenav, kevintee and 6 others like this.
  16. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I don't really do that streaming stuff (i hate the fact that usually the artists get almost nothing for it)-- is this mix of the rooftop concert going to be released as a physical CD?

(or at the very least on iTunes so i can download it there, which isn't as good but better then having no access to it at all?)

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

They haven't said.
    They had their chance.
    We got a 12-min disc instead.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It's up on Apple (not that Apple) Music now.
    You have to put in 'beatles rooftop'.
    'Beatles roof' doesn't make it.

supermd likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think you’re right about them giving us all they had on multitrack. Apparently, it cuts in on God Save the Queen. I refuse to believe they intentionally shortened that by 20 seconds yet left in over a minute of talking and tuning before many of the songs. It also audibly cuts a few times between songs where they had turned off recording. Further, after Michael Lindsay-Hogg says, “We’ve cut,” you hear the audio shut off (on more than one occasion). This is pretty cool. Seems they have us this whole dang thing. I loved the little jam on “Dig a Pony” before it started.

20. steepien

steepien Forum Resident

It's a shame I've Got a Feeling #2 has so many issues in some spots, Paul's vocal in the first half is stellar.

Don't Let Me Down #2 always cracks me up. They have to do another take because John messed up the lyrics the first time. So what does he do? He wastes no time and starts the first verse with "Geffra first time that she'd really love me" :laugh:

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They used most of the first part on the Let It Be Naked hybrid. I love John’s “head dream/obscene” rhyme. What a killer lyric. I really love this version as an alternate. “Everybody must get stoned” haha.

Also, Naked was the first and only version of Let It Be I heard for probably 8 years. The Spector album was the different one to me. I eventually switched to listening to the Spector one for the last 4 years or so, so that’s changed to be my main one now. As such, as I’ve been watching the Get Back rooftop and now hearing this Take 2 performance, the first verse sung by Paul was used to head off Naked version, and it feels like a forgotten “original vocal” to me. If that makes any sense haha.

22. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I like the pacing on Don't Let Me Down #2 though.. they should have patched it with bits from take 1 on Naked. "you've been playing on the rooftop again!" Wow.. that was a nice listen... did Giles go for a different mix here I seem to notice the guitars are more raw but I think that's just me.

I've Got a Feeling 2 has a lot of nice bits.. though I notice Ringo practicing his bass drum technique throughout the test run before that then he just drops it during the actual take. I guess the 1st take has the stomp when it needs it and it just stood above #2. Glad we have both now... feel bad that Harry didn't get something done on the roof though. Hard to be productive during those cold days in January when women are cribbing your digestive biscuits... so I know what I'm going to make sure I stock up on tomorrow!

steepien and supermd like this.
  23. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes, but that was taken from the Nagra tapes, this is taken from the multi-track tape, which did not run continually either. You even hear Michael say things like "Glyn, you should hold it, we have one more camera to go". So many of the 'missing' things aren't missing because I wouldn't expect them to edit mono stuff from the Nagras into a mix from multi-track.

24. PhoffiFozz

Yeah, but until Peter Jackson's Get Back, I never realized that flub is very likely because he just noticed the police just arriving on the roof.

25. PhoffiFozz

Where is there a FLAC version? (I haven't caught up with this thread!)