THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Perhaps you ought to be writing to the folks who gave Jackson the award to make your case.

And Jackson DID give MLH credit in his films and in interviews, for what he did (which was not to direct Jackson's series but to have done the original filming and directed LIB). I'm also saying MLH deserved CREDIT, just not a DIRECTOR credit, because I'm sorry he did NOT make the artistic choices that are in Get Back. Had he done so maybe people would still want to see his film rather than most seeming to feel it's hopelessly one-sided and outdated in its perspective.

I think we're done here, beaten into the ground, and clearly I'm not the only one who felt Jackson deserved the award outright/solo.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I addressed that issue, yes, the material was repurposed by Peter Jackson. It's still MLH's material. They should have shared the award, but yeah, it's not a big deal.

3. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes, not just interviews either - also MLH is very prominently mentioned in the credits for each installment of the documentary series.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

It's not that important to me, man. I'm not MLH's agent or something.:laugh: I was just giving my opinion.

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Repeatedly...and likewise! :laugh: Movin' on...

6. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

This is from May but I only saw it today:
    The Beatles: Get Back Editor Jabez Olssen on Cutting the Band's Improvised Gems, Syncing Old Audio, and Working With Peter Jackson - Below the Line

These sections puzzled me:

"Now, of course, because we had two cameras, which were not running at the same speed, they had to take the first Nagra audiotape, adjust it to the speed of the first camera, then adjust it to the speed of the second camera, then take the second Nagra audiotape, adjust it to the speed of the first camera and then adjust it to the speed of the second camera. We’ve got four different versions of the audio that we’re having to juggle between and work out, which is the best.
    Even Peter and I got involved in it because we would be suddenly listening to some audio that we thought had no picture. We would recognize the pattern of it, ‘oh, there’s George talking, then Ringo says a quick response, and then John cuts in.’ We’re like, ‘oh, we saw a silent film that looked like that.’ We would take some audio and try it on the picture. We got lucky quite a few times and were able to discover some new sync that nobody knew existed."

So the film reels were silent, Ok, that is what I thought, and it is confirmed in the second paragraph.
    Now what is the deal with four different versions of the audio?

I know that Jackson found some more audio that was missing from the Nagras batch by taking it from the roughs that MLH prepared for previewing.
    I also seem to remember that GJ ran a extra tape at Apple for quick preview of the recordings, that seemingly was not kept.

7. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

I think he's referring to the 4 camera syncs:
    1. Nagara tape 1 and camera 1
    2. Nagara tape 1 and camera 2
    3. Nagara tape 2 and camera 1
    4. Nagara tape 2 and camera 2
    I think they'd all be playing at slightly different speeds - hence 4 audio sources.

But - your guess is as good as mine. :)

Cheers,
    Paul

theMess, Goobilee and nosticker like this.
  8. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Still only 2 audio sources.
    It could be a missquote or Olsson expressed himself wrong.
    Nevertheless strange.

9. Goobilee

Goobilee Forum Resident

Not sources, versions. They had to create four new versions at slightly different speeds to match the visuals.

Dradge, longdist01 and Ken Wood like this.
  10. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Now I get it - your comment made me re-read the quote again:
    Thea did not determine one correct speed to which everything was synched, but did it twice, thus ending up with 2 versions of each Nagra, which makes four.
    But only two are corrected, so it would be stupid to choose from the four. Still strange.

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Amazon UK have strangely got the blu ray listed as being released on 17th October and available for pre-order!

It is priced at the standard £29.99. Previously it was unavailable and therefore didn't list a price.

Before anyone asks, there is no indication that this is a different product with extra features.

crossroads69 and recordromantic like this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Just watching Part 1 , looks far better on the Blu Ray disc than the Disney Stream, he did an amazing job Jackson cleaning it up and syncing the audio and video footage , mustn’t have been easy what he was given at the start and how old it was, very grateful he got all this unseen footage out there so we can see the genius unfold in great quality. Don’t care about extra’s , would be nice but 8 hours is more than enough with what is included.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  13. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing, been waiting for the Blu-ray to be back in stock. Hopefully they have decided to press more copies to meet the demand.

Bink and longdist01 like this.
  14. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I also imagine without having the benefit of all the video and audio footage digitized and synced-it was likely a much more painful editing process back then-with deadlines, budget and bitchy band members looming.

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Not really. If there was no footage to sync to, then they would simply use the not-corrected audio, and since the recorders ran at different times that gave them four sources.

joy stinson and Ken Wood like this.
  16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

17. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

18. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Isn't that about standard retail price for it? I know I paid that much for it at Best Buy back in July of this year...

19. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

The standard price is $44.99 according to The Beatles.com store. But it was literally not available at Amazon.com since it was released. Only from third party resellers. As a matter of fact, when I'm writing this reply, it is once again available at Amazon from 3rd party resellers.

longdist01, Grand_Ennui and Dugan like this.
  20. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I have one sitting under the tree, planning to revisit Jan 69 in Jan 23.

21. Abkco

Abkco Forum Resident

Beatles- Love store has it for $80.00 at the Mirage in Las Vegas, in case someone would like to grossly overpay for it.

22. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

So the American blu ray has come out.

What happened to the European DVD?

23. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I wonder how many people ever got that joke ...

Bioscopy, n. -- the examination of a body to determine if it is alive or dead

ODIrony likes this.
  24. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Just had a chat with someone very close to the original filming suggesting that the original Let It Be movie is being worked on as we speak.

25. VicSchwarz

VicSchwarz Forum Resident

Great ! I wonder if they will release it on its own or maybe with a new edition of a Get Back Blu-ray with bonus features

RiRiIII, marklamb, somnar and 4 others like this.