The Beatles: "Get Back." SNEAK PEEK from Peter Jackson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJWOL, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Holy %#$@ this is gonna be one fantastic rewriting of history! The bootleg outtake footage I have much more supports the winter of discontent scenario. 56 hours..........there's no way they can make this movie long enough for me... Even if it's like the epic Lord of the rings movies all together, I'm gonna want more.
    The original gloomy movie is only an hour and a half, and that thing leaves me wanting more.

That was more like watching their happy azzez in Help or Hard days night than Let it be.
    Sure hope there's a super duper deluxe edition I can buy.

2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Just watching it now.

56 hours previously unssen?

Wow.

How is that even possible?

Not the biggest fan but this looks amazing.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

It also makes you wonder why John and George had such a negative spin on it. Perhaps John's was because of the smack (and lack of song contributions) and the Twickenham Studio and its hours and George's because his songs were ignored and the Twickenham Studio and its hours.

4. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Peter Jackson's next project...

5. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Amazing quality, but also digitally enhanced to the point where it’s almost “photorealistic animation”.

It’s like Peter Jackson’s 2018 “They Shall Not Grow Old” where he took 100+ year old film footage of World War I, and manipulated it making it look like brand new. It’s an amazing technological achievement, but is it ethical?

Revelator, goodiesguy, Dugan and 4 others like this.
  6. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Who cares if it’s ethical or not.
    The results are all that really matters.

7. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

Honestly quite moving to see that. Cannot wait to watch the whole thing.

8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Fab gear.

linklinc, mBen989, Sean and 5 others like this.
  9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Exactly. This movie was brilliant and amazing. Can’t wait to see the Beatles film!

D-rock, Ms. Daisy, PhoffiFozz and 5 others like this.
  10. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Well, this is a few minutes of montage out of hours and hours of footage. Not quite the same as living it all moment-to-moment, cameras on and off in the cold of January. When Billy came in is when the mood improved, and this is largely from that period.

11. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

The revisionism will harm the Beatles, if they give it long enough. The currently established narrative makes complete sense - all the diss tracks from John and Paul etc, things said in interviews.

I am assuming Apple are going to make it clear this is a cut of the movie that brings joy the Let It Be era. And hopefully we will get a release of Let It Be in HD - which is a canon Beatles film.

12. murphmanz

murphmanz Forum Resident

Well that cheered me up (on a day when some cheer is needed) :)

13. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Awwwwwwww. Boy, were they cool.

I wonder why Peter Jackson has all those instruments lying around the editing suite?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That was a delightful 5 minutes.

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Is the main footage from the Twickenham rehearsal?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Love it

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I was very much reminded of that Elvis film while watching this. The vibrant colors, as well as the goofing around in rehearsals.

Lewisboogie and Bink like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Out of the 56 hours, it certainly will be simple for Peter Jackson to feature 2 hours of happy, peppy, and musically adept footage of the band. There were enough wonderful moments throughout January 1969 to comprise Mr Jackson's film.

But one thing that I did notice: The Apple Studio footage---which made up most of Peter's "Sneak Peek". The Beatles were A LOT happier once they reconvened at the Apple basement studio, especially compared to the cavernous, gloomy Twickenham studio. After George walked out and quit for a week and a half, they all decided to give their best efforts in resuming the project. It was only another 10 days or so of work, but they all worked better in that smaller, tighter studio.

And John looks CLEANER in the Apple studio footage. He almost looks/acts hyper.

19. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

While J and P were singing and smiling without moving their lips made me lol!

20. beatlesaint

beatlesaint Forum Resident

This revisionism that people will undoubtedly moan about gets on my nerves. That looked fabulous to me and if they have put all happy, cheery clips into that then so what ? There's no CGI there, they really smiled, they really goofed about and at times they seemed to really have fun. All that stuff happened. Didnt Mark Lewisohn say he'd completely changed his opinion of those sessions after listening to all the material thats out there ?

I just hope that level of cleaning up film has happened with the original cut of the Let It Be film when that comes out.

21. Arnold Grove

In the "Sneak Peek", most of the footage is from the basement Apple Studio.

The original LET IT BE film had much Twickenham footage.

Mr Hankey, theMess, Floater and 9 others like this.
  22. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Made my day, excellent.

DRM likes this.
  23. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

I really hope that, although the movie might last "only" 100-140 minutes, we eventually get a Bluray boxset FULL of extras. I mean really HOURS of bonus material jajaja

24. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

That's wonderful. It was quite a feat of Lindsay Hogg's to have left out all of that in favour of the dull and aimless visual dirge that he put out. There's more entertainment in those three or so minutes than in the whole of Let It Be.

25. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I'm really happy to see the footage of them goofing around, but I do think it's important for the film to have emotional depth, and you can acknowledge the happy moments without completely dismissing the tension (not saying the film will definitely do that, but I'm already seeing fans do it).

theMess, Revelator, Floater and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.