The Beatles: "Get Back." SNEAK PEEK from Peter Jackson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJWOL, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatlesaint

beatlesaint Forum Resident

Oh yeah for sure, i hope its balanced but that footage alone shows that its possible to balance it out, its not all doom and gloom. A well rounded look at the sessions would be the biggest tribute Jackson could pay to it.

theMess, Floater, goodiesguy and 5 others like this.
  2. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

What Jackson's doing is no different to dozens of audio projects that we salivate over each year. He's going back to the source material and applying modern mastering techniques to extract as much awesomeness as he can.

I think it looks great, and I don't think there's any comparison with this and what he did with 'They Shall Not Grow Old' (which was remarkable, and to me, in no way unethical).

3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

John remained the leader until the very end of the Beatles. Listening to outtakes/audio from the 50th Abbey Road offering confirmed this for me. Encouraging the others, his humor, his energy, all of this reflects a Beatle fully engaged with his band. Leading the band. Even as Paul offered great musical content for Let It Be and Abbey Road.

4. James in NY

James in NY Forum Resident

This footage looks incredible. An so much of it to work with. I wonder if there will be an "audio companion" to go with it. I'll look forward to the release.

Billy Budapest, Sean and DRM like this.
  5. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

All you need is Cash! x3
    Cash is all you need!...

6. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Maybe ‘unethical’ was a poor choice of word, but I feel like maybe there’s a line crossed when it’s no longer simply remastered original footage and instead it’s basically a reanimated-from-scratch facsimile. I don’t know.

7. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I've always been amazed at how tall the ceilings seemed to be in the basement studio at Apple, from previous photos and LIB film sequences; here, the new footage only shows that off to greater effect.
    I know the style of those buildings in central London, and their basement rooms are nowhere near as deep as that - does anyone know if the floor was excavated downwards when the studio was created, or was the original ceiling knocked out to extend into the rooms above?
    I know you can (well, pre-lockdown, 'could') enter the old Apple building now which is an Abercrombie & Fitch store, but am unsure if the basement area is accessible to the public.

8. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I've watched the clip half a dozen times now and every time I sit there with a huge grin on my face! I've not been very well for a while now and this has cheered me up no end. Still amazed at the benefits of Beatle-power! They should bottle it!!

9. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

When my son was about ten I played him Get Up and Go on YouTube. I told him The Beatles ripped off this band called The Rutles. Then I showed him the Get Back rooftop clip. He believed me and he was amazed.

10. Dr. Dog

"...but is it ethical?"

For me a big YES.

11. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I dig it. Can't wait! This may be the one time I welcome a Peter Jackson 4 hour movie.

12. Dr. Dog

Jackson is also a Dr. Who freak. I imagine he has quite a collection of Daleks as well.

[​IMG]

D-rock, Bryan Harris, dvakman and 2 others like this.
  13. David Kellar

David Kellar Forum Resident

It's quite a crime it's taken 50 years for this footage to surface.

14. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I can't find it now, but I'm sure I've read that the renovations made to create the studio messed up the building's structural integrity, and it needed extensive rebuilding after Apple vacated.

15. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

Not sure whether it's true or not but I remember reading somewhere once when blu rays came out that a 16mm film image is higher quality than the image on a blu ray which might explain why all these movies shot on actual film look good these days.

16. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Just hope they won´t try too hard to show us that these were in fact a much happier times than we´ve been told before.

17. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Well... if I could, I would.

FJFP likes this.
  18. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

Very glad about this pleasant surprise of a teaser. It seems there was much more dancing during the sessions than just John and Yoko during I Me Mine haha!
    I’m very pleased that there’s footage of Paul trying to climb the twickenham equipment as that’s probably one of my favourite parts of the Twickenham sessions. Hopefully there’s a few R rated scenes on the blu Ray with John and Paul’s faux news report conversation with thoughts on X films and climaxing which is particularly funny.

joy stinson likes this.
  19. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

First impression is how freakin young they look,,,,,,, because they were!

20. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

Wow, it’s gorgeous to look at and lifted me up.

21. Dr. Dog

Can I find this on YouTube?

22. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

looks great, shows that they were still having a good time, even got Yoko smiling in there!

BUT for me it really does beg the question - why, if all this footage was there, did the first film chose to be so relentlessly depressing and dark? Who decided on that, and if it was just Lindsay-Hogg was did everyone else sign off on it?

Can't wait for this to come out.

23. Ern

Ern Senior Member

It looks AMAZING!!!
    Wasn't expecting this...in these rough times we're living, this teaser is a blessing!

24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

It's an interesting question isn't it. In 1969 there was a TV documentary about Simon and Garfunkel called Songs of America and I find that has a similar tone to the Let it Be movie.

Maybe documentary makers got locked into a certain style around that time.

joy stinson, theMess, Floater and 5 others like this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I also asked this on the other thread..does the count off George does at the start of Get Back sound familiar?

Dugan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.