The Beatles: "Get Back." SNEAK PEEK from Peter Jackson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJWOL, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I don't really understand why people are so happy about The Beatles appearing happier than in the past. Is this really a big deal to you?

The important thing about the Get Back / Let It Be period is the music. How happy the four guys were is of course interesting and will lead to endless speculation, but it's not a measurable thing, and we'll never know. I'm sure there is room for plenty of extremes either way; on some days Ringo was chipper, on some he was grumpy.

What I do know is that anybody with editing control can make 2 minutes of happy footage from 56 hours of tape.

Not trying to be a sour-puss, but just saying a highly calculated compilation of footage doesn't suddenly erase 50 years of memories and interviews otherwise.

Mickey2, Revelator, Carlox and 11 others like this.
  2. georgepearrison

georgepearrison Long Time Lurker

Well it’s not technically a trailer, just some random amusing clips they wanted to show us. And while they will definitely produce something more positive and upbeat than the original film, I wouldn’t take that clip as a representative of what the final product will be.

3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I might be missing something here, but I don't think the footage has been doctored in any way -- although it has been cropped for a new aspect ratio and, I'm sure, the original elements have been cleaned as much as possible. And by cleaned, I just mean scratches removed and color balances restored -- that sort of thing. I don't see this new project as "revisionist" in any way; it just provides a much cleaner, clearer look at what actually was happening in front of the cameras.

Goat, Blue Cactus, 51IS and 9 others like this.
  4. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

How is it that Peter mentions they're half way through the edit of this film if this was originally going to be released last September

5. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I agree but, trailer or not, they still put it out for people to see.

Hall Cat and georgepearrison like this.
  6. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

I've heard George and John grumble about it but I am wracking my brain to think of Paul or Ringo ever commenting on the sessions in the same way.

ODIrony likes this.
  7. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Yummy! Happy days are here again...:agree:

Sean

joy stinson likes this.
  8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

If one is going to revise history one might as well go all the way.

And it’s not a complaint, this looks wonderful.

joy stinson likes this.
  9. georgepearrison

georgepearrison Long Time Lurker

I didn’t want it to end.

This was a highlight for me
    [​IMG]

10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

You bet, that’s just a bit of happy smiles we all needed at this time! Thank you Apple and Peter Jackson for playing Santa and giving us this early Christmas surprise :)

About the footage itself, holy cow! That’s the best it’s ever looked and I can’t wait to see the whole thing next year! The Apple studio footage seems like a completely different than the dreary Twickenham footage that was mainly used in Let It Be.

I know some will call this revisionism, but after hearing the session outtakes from White Album and Abbey Road and now seeing this footage, I wonder if this is really setting the record straight. I’m sure there were tensions and the business pressures but it’s not like they were not having great time in the studio. I think the “winter of discontent” narrative may have been touch exaggerated in the past...

11. SgtPepperman1953

SgtPepperman1953 Forum Resident

It was nice to see Linda's face instead of Yoko's all of the time!

12. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This series of clips made my morning and rekindled my anticipation of the finished film.

It’s especially exciting to see footage that looked awful on YouTube looking sharp, clean, and crisp. I’ve lost count of the many times I’ve said, “Why didn’t they put THAT in instead of...”

DK Pete, BeatleJWOL and J Alesait like this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Again, people talking about how dark and depressing Let it Be is. I swear they are remembering things incorrectly, because that makes no sense.

I don't know how many people still own Let it Be, but I own it and have watched it countless times, and I find it endlessly enjoyable. It really isn't dark at all. There are a few scenes that people remember (primarily George and Paul bickering), but I suspect they haven't watched the complete film in decades. If they watched it today, they would see. The bootleg footage that was available online for years, has all been deleted; but by and large, it wasn't dark or depressing, just showed a band at work in the studio. Some scenes (like to decision to play on the roof, which they released in the Anthology, and the scene where John and George are urging Paul to put "Get Back" out as a single) are just amazing. We all knew that the footage existed in great condition. It is genuinely thrilling to know that it will finally see release.

I posted this a few months ago.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    theMess, Revelator, Floater and 12 others like this.
  14. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I would imagine if you're dead, missing the new LIB movie is one of your lesser concerns!

15. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

It's like every documentary ever made in that respect

joy stinson, rocnred, Mickey2 and 3 others like this.
  16. wow wow wow wow wow

joy stinson likes this.
  17. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Amazing!

joy stinson likes this.
  18. KFC_NY

KFC_NY Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing. btw thanks for posting Mr. OP, this looks great. But why couldn't Michael Lindsay Hogg include some of this happier footage to balance it out in the original Let It Be film? Let's face it, the original film was one big downer apart from the rooftop concert. Did he just want to show them breaking up and here's why they did? Puzzling. Heck, I even saw Yoko & Linda smiling together here at one point! Like you, can't wait to see this when it's out.

joy stinson, Goat, Sean and 3 others like this.
  19. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

I have always believed that our impression of the 'Let it Be' film was colored, and very much so, by John's many disparaging comments in his 1970 Rolling Stone interviews. For decades, that was the bottom line on what 'Let it Be' was - getting up early and trying to be creative in a cold movie studio, Paul setting it up "for Paul," etc. That was gospel for a very long time. At least partially true? Most certainly, and as many have pointed out here, the truth of what was in 1969 is likely in the middle, somewhere between MLH's "Let it Be" and the Peter Jackson cut.

20. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Absolutely love this,August can't get here soon enough.Just to see them enjoying being a band and creating such great music.With that amazing video and audio.
    If this is released in Aug,hopefully by this time next year we can look for one of those multi-disc director's box-sets Peter is so fond of,under the Christmas Tree :)
    I love this comment on YouTube :)
    We need all 56 hours! Come on Jackson you made 3 Hobbit films out of 1 book, this deserves to be a mini-series!

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm hoping there is some Whoopi Goldberg interviews in there.....:shh:

Mickey2 and DK Pete like this.
  22. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

The footage looked incredible - clear and vibrant and the vibe from the guys really brightened my morning.

Some will say this is the whitewash happening...let’s pretend they were still the zany lovable mop tops making an album and ignore that they broke up soon after.

Okay fine maybe we’ll see more of the happier moments, but in the absence of seeing much of this footage, we’re only going off the recollections of 4 jaded individuals and we don’t know the % of happy to miserable.

Not to get this sidetracked, but it wasn’t that they all “hated” each other, it’s that they got sick of each other. Remove the sh1t storm that was Allen Klein from the equation and we might have had a very different ending indeed.

It’s hard for any of us to watch footage from this time person without the knowledge of what was about to happen, but the guys in the film, don’t. I think if one watches the footage with that perspective it changes everything. My opinion of course! I’m just happy to see things are progressing and the results so far are good!

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And Maureen was rocking out too in one of the scenes from the control room.

24. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Smile on my face the whole time. Wish they uploaded it at 4K.
    It's weird seeing them in this... it's like the 'legend' is being uncovered. Love it.

joy stinson likes this.
  25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

A perfectly reasonable expectation... [that seems to have gone unfulfilled, so far]

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.