The Beatles in Spatial Audio (new Giles Martin interview)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crossroads69, Jul 28, 2021.

1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member Thread Starter

Just came across this new interview with Giles talking mainly about mixing The Beatles music in Dolby Atmos. Amongst other things, he talks about:

1) He will be redoing the Dolby Atmos mix of Sgt. Pepper for Apple Music medium.

2) He continues to evaluate the use of demixing technology specifically when it comes to remixing Rubber Soul and Revolver.

3) His approach to remixing in surround and the need to create an immersive mix “So it’s almost like mono, just expanded”

Full Interview Link - The Beatles in Spatial Audio: Producer Giles Martin on How It All Works

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

In what way?

CharlesHawtrey likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Good thing you got that in early. Because you just know there's gonna be a trail of excitement and speculation and head-nodding and salivating anyway.

Obviously I'm not opposed to surround (for instance...he should have used that on Sgt. Pepper's in the first place. :biglaugh: ). But, I just want the effect to be something representative of what the original artists would have approved were the technology available to them at the time of original release in the first place. And that takes, I fear, far too much armchair quarterbacking.

guitarman1969, Wil1972 and Bern like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Beatles remixes and the way Giles is constantly piggybacking on and changing his Dad's legendary work. Personally I can't stand it. Of course, others will think differently, my opinion or theirs has no greater merit. Everyone sees these things differently.

The original mixes of Sgt. Pepper, The White Album and Abbey Road have all been out of print for a while now, with this stuff replacing them for new purchases. It disgusts me.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I look forward to any surround mixes we get.
    I enjoyed Pepper, but Giles has been "Getting Better" each time, to my ears.

7. edenofflowers

Is it Giles' remixes, Beatles remixes in general, or the nepotism that you can't stand? I've not been a mad fan of Giles' remixes of the original albums but LOVE and YSS were great so I think Beatle remixes can be enjoyable, it's just his particular approach to the mixes that I'm not keen on. I don't find him, as a person, a problem though or his parentage.

8. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

No, they're not! They are even the first to pop up on most sites!

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't doubt Giles Martin's a good guy, but he's never done anything else noteworthy.

The remixes I've heard (all except Pepper) just seem totally pointless, aside from something to hang the outtakes onto. After all they couldn't sell these albums as they were again without a lot of criticism.

I don't mind remixes on things like 1+, Yellow Submarine songtrack and Love, all of which I enjoyed. Changing the original albums and replacing them with these versions as the currently available ones is something I find appalling though. I thought the same when The Doors did similar years ago.

There are remixed albums I've enjoyed, but they've generally been ones that were flawed in the first place, something that The White Album and Abbey Road certainly weren't.

If Giles comes up with a new, radically different, Let It Be that doesn't replace the original, but is sold next to it, like ...Naked was, I am interested in hearing it, but the current physical versions of Pepper, White & Abbey Road being ones that John, George and George didn't hear? That's not right at all to me.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They are in the UK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top one is the 50th anniversary 3 CD when you click on it.
    [​IMG]

Unless it's new old stock, the 2009 remasters of these ones are out of print. HMV doesn't have them either and hasn't for years.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  11. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I liked listening to the remxies once for fun but then back to the original. You hear some cool stuff you haven't heard before, but they are inferior.

What does Giles have against guitars anyway, I can barely hear them! It's like the Beatles were a drums and bass band!

I do enjoy LOVE but that's different.

12. edenofflowers

Have the remixes replaced the original mixes as the only available version? I genuinely haven't kept up with it but if you can ONLY buy the remixes now at retail or online then that's a bad thing. I don't know if that's the situation though.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Certainly have, at least as far as vinyl and CD go. The original mixes are probably available for streaming, but The Beatles are a band many people like to own the albums by.

14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Looking forward to the inevitable "Beatles albums remixed backwards by Giles Martin" series.

:goodie:**You've never heard them like this before!!!*** :goodie:

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Which Beatles are still with us to hear these albums?!

lemontrees, Wil1972, PIGGIES and 9 others like this.
  16. edenofflowers

I find it hard to believe but I'll take your word for it. I'd be happier if the originals were side-by-side with the remixes though.

17. edenofflowers

Believe me, a LOT of us have heard certain Beatles tracks backwards frequently. :uhhuh:

18. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I love 5.1 when it's done well, but the Atmos I've heard leaves me with vertigo at best. Immersive audio is just the latest gimmick.

fallbreaks, Joy-of-radio and RickH like this.
  19. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Turn me on dead man

marklamb, willy and Roland Stoves like this.
  20. Cimrya Deal

Well that s**ks... In France they are available pretty much everywhere... (Just checked to be sure!)

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd like to be proven wrong, buy I always look at The Beatles sections in shops and they haven't been available since the remixes. Of course some of the smaller shops and sites might have new old stock, but they will be few now.

From a business perspective it makes total sense. Why would they keep two versions with the same artwork and title in print? From a respect for history, the legendary work of deceased people and art perspective, it's disgraceful.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

At least that's something! :)

23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Why is that a bad thing? Every Beatle fan in the world owns the old mix already. There is no need to keep reproducing them just as shop stock :winkgrin:

Beatleboy1968 and Lewisboogie like this.
  24. Cimrya Deal

Well maybe it just means that Beatles albums don't sell in France... :mad:

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Because plenty of people don't want to buy second hand stuff. What people are buying new now is not what half the band and the producer heard and approved. There was no need to change them, or at least they could let the originals and remix co-exist.

Of course in time they'll be reissued as 'the original mixes available again, as the Beatles intended, newly remastered from the original tapes.'. They won't miss a trick!