The Beatles "It's Only Love" - what is the reason for the vocal distortion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

I don't have my the vinyl to which I could compare, but why does the opening line of It's Only Love as found on the CD version (on Help! ) sound like the meters are pinned in the red? To me, it is not as apparent on the mono version (as found in the EP box). Did this occur during the original recording, or later on when it was mixed?

Please excuse me if this has been covered in a another thread, but I couldn't find it. I checked a few websites, and couldn't find any mention of it either.

thanks

2. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

I've always noticed that, too...I've wondered if it was a tape wrinkle.

3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Isn't it strange that Lennon hated this song...it has always been one of my favorites....

4. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I have to go back to it on the US Rubber Soul LP and say that I always thought it was just John's way of singing the song by giving it a little bit of grit in his voice. I'd compare it to how he also sings the word "HEY YOU GOT TO hide your love away"! > to < in musical terms!:)

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, I agree, plus a little microphone overload. Try the mono mix on the Beatles' EP Box...It's amazing.

6. stereoptic

thanks for the explanation. I agree - you can feel the emotional confusion better on the mono mix.

7. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

It's a good song, but if I had to pick one song that John was weakest lyrically, this would be it.

8. Beatle Terr

It always sounded to me like he was getting a kick out of singing the lyrics to the song. For example the way he rolled his "R"s when he sings "Very Bright". Haven't I the Right to make it up girl".

It's there where he rhymes the last word Bright and then with Right, which is in the middle of the line of the part of the verse and still sings "to make it up girl" before he goes into the chorus to sing "It's Only Love, and that is all"

I'm pretty impressed with this! Even though it's not to be compared to the likes of "I Am The Walrus"...but I still find it to be genius both as a song and lyrically too. JMHO~~:thumbsup:

9. stereoptic

I love the closing Beatle "yodeling" at the end of the song also, "loving yooooooooooou"

10. Beatle Terr

I think it was double tracked falsetto of John's voice but it was the guitar line with the amps vibrato control playing in the background making it sound as if John was yodeling there on those notes he is singing.:D However it did get quite loud now that I recall my first listen on my original LP didn't it!!!!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.