The Beatles 'merged songs'.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

by that I'm referring to cases when it's a case of 2 distinct songs merged together. Sometimes it's a bridge or an outro, but it's distinctly Paul or John.

The ones that I can identify(lead songwriter in parens):

We Can Work it Out(McCartney) - Paul does the verses, chorus, John's the bridge(life is very short). This is the prototype of how they did these. Whoever wrote the part sang lead.

A Day in the Life(Lennon) - Paul's famous bridge inserted right in the middle, 'woke up fell out of bed...'

Cry Baby Cry(Lennon) - The outro is a Paul snippet "Can You Take Me Back"

You Never Give Me Your Money(McCartney) - The outro contains John's snippet "1-2-3-4-5-6-7 all good children go to heaven"

I've Got a Feeling(McCartney) - the 2nd half includes John's "Everybody had a hard year"

these are the only distinct cases I could find. I don't include the dozens of truly co-written songs.

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

“Happiness Is A Warm Gun” - John Said is came together from 3 different songs.

3. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Dare I say it took Stevie Wonder to make that one swing?!

4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Which is like a miniature version of the medley on side two of Abbey Road (also worth mentioning in this thread).

To the OP, I wouldn't really count Can You Take Me Back as an extension of Cry Baby Cry. It's more of an uncredited interlude.

uzn007, Rojo, wayneklein and 4 others like this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Looks like you covered them all.
    So I'll just sat All You Need is Love with the outro to She Loves You.
    Not exactly what you were saying but it's worth mentioning since that's all that's left.

6. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

I s'pose "Day Tripper" would have to qualify if "We Can Work it Out" does.

7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

She's Leaving Home
    Abbey Road Medley

Fullbug likes this.
  8. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

"She Said She Said" was made up of a few different song parts John Lennon had, including once called "When I Was A Boy." George Harrison apparently helped him structure the final version. The Beatles Bible Web site has more details and the quote from Harrison that explains this.

"Baby You're A Rich Man" was created from of an unfinished Lennon song called "One Of The Beautiful People" and an unfinished Paul McCartney piece with the title phrase. Again, the quotes are compiled on a page from The Beatles Bible. This time it's Lennon who is quoted.

Rojo, Hombre, autumn daze and 7 others like this.
  9. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Nope;)
    There's "Baby you're a rich man". The verses and the chorus are from two different songs.

EDIT: Just like "Celebrated Summer" said ;)

10. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yellow Submarine is another, the verse written by John ("in the town where I was born..."), the chorus by Paul. Harder to tell who wrote it as Ringo sings it.

Why? We Can Work it Out is made from combining two different separate songs each by Lennon and McCartney, Day Tripper is one song by Lennon/McCartney.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

(And although it may appear to be the inverse of We Can Work It Out, with a 'Paul' bridge in a 'John' song, A Hard Day's Night is NOT one, John wrote it solo.)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Paulwalrus and moople72 like this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yellow Submarine is another example of such a song. McCartney brought in the chorus, and Lennon suggested combining it with a song he'd already been working on (the verses).

mbleicher1 and moople72 like this.
  12. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

How about Martha My Dear, which was originally two compositions titled ’Martha My Dear’ and ‘You Silly Girl?’

Paulwalrus and aphexj like this.
  13. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

Two of us

14. manco

Not the same, that's just Paul combining 2 snippets to make a full song. I'm talking about when John & Paul combined their sub-songs to make a full song.

Paulwalrus and nikh33 like this.
  15. manco

Again it's Paul combining 2 partial-songs to make a full song. Just songwriting 101.

16. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

In My Life ?

17. manco

Damn you guys are missing the point! I'm taking about partial songs written separately by John & Paul and then merged into the final product we know! Not co-writes.

18. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG]

:D

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Free As A Bird

SRC, Mickey2, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yellow Submarine. John wrote a song which became the verse, Paul wrote the chorus, which is EXACTLY what you ask

21. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Hey bulldog.

John wrote the song and Paul merged it with his song of only barking sounds.

22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Have you considered decaf?

BadJack likes this.
  23. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Michelle is reputedly one of these. John is supposed to have written the "I love you..." refrain to complete the tune.

ETA: Walter Everett cites it from the Playboy interview, and Hunter Davies books.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Celebrated Summer and nikh33 like this.
  24. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Isn't this the definition of co-writing?

BadJack likes this.
  25. manco

Nope. Co-writes are when they were in a music room writing at the same time. Or when one would present what they had to the other and the other one would go off and help finish a refrain/chorus/bridge/outro. This is more a case of 2 completely separately written mini-songs later merged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.