The Beatles "Mr Moonlight"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Poor Mr. Moonlight. And yet another thread where I have to support why I like it and it is not crap and for old people. This time I will let it go. The haters win. :D

PhoffiFozz, Seltarb, Sear and 2 others like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They aren't though, because just by reading this thread they have Mr. Moonlight going through their minds and they hate it. They can't win, whereas we don't mind that!

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Back in the Cavern days, they would often start their set with "Mr. Moonlight." Can you imagine the thrill of a live performance that begins with John Lennon belting out that amazing a capella intro?

According to "Tune In," the fans would hold their breath, waiting to see if he'd pull it off and be in the correct pitch when the band came in.

That must have really been something to witness.

4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love it. Always have.

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

not only the worst Beatles song, but one of the worst songs from anybody.

PsychGuy likes this.
  6. action pact

I have the original US 45 by Dr Feelgood & the Interns. The flip side, "Doctor Feelgood," was also a Liverpool beat group staple in the early '60s.

Uncle Miles likes this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

8. action pact

Too late! :unhunh:

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Love it. And Til There Was You, too.

Seltarb, majorlance and PhoffiFozz like this.
  10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Ahhh... the listening booths at NEMS, an oft overlooked part of their formative years. After all, they were originally a “dance band”, were they not?

You will have to address this issue at a convening of a “Forum Tribunal” to be held sometime before the snow flies... or after.

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  11. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I like the song. I'm not sure why people have such an issue with it. The vocal is pretty great. It's an interesting and fairly different sounding song and helps make the album versatile, which is one of The Beatles greatest attributes.

12. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I like the song. I don't understand all the hate for this song.

ARK, Seltarb, andrewskyDE and 5 others like this.
  13. Sear

Guys you aren't listening to me

14. the fab four are streaming shows on their website even doing full albums so far i have seen AHDH rubber soul next week is PPM hopefully they will do all the albums looking forward to for sale and hearing them do this song all the years i have seen them i cannot remember them doing it

15. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

It's fine. It's of its time. It can't be that bad a song if not only John Lennon, but also Paul and George all figured it a decent enough song to record?

16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Til There Was You was definitely redeemed by that gorgeous acoustic solo from George.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Chemguy, Larry Geller and Man at C&A like this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Johnny Kidd & the Pirates did a great version of Dr. Feelgood.

action pact likes this.
  18. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Love the organ and the tom tom. A fun record.

Seltarb, Lewisboogie and Hall Cat like this.
  19. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Having listened to the original version for the first time, I have to say I enjoy the group's take of it even more. There's something very endearing about someone very cool doing something kitschy. Lennon's delivery is fantastic and reminds me of Elvis doing Jailhouse Rock totally straight and all the better for it. The organ sounds knowingly schmaltzy and winks at you, though. A fine piece of Beatles humour and eclecticism.

Seltarb, vinnie, Hall Cat and 4 others like this.
  20. Sear

And Motley Crue

21. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Not a favorite of mine...

22. simond9x

simond9x Forum Resident

I find it hard to be objective about this song. As a 12 year old when it was first released, the whole album Beatles For Sale was an album of ‘Beatles songs’. Although I could see from the cover that they didn’t write all the songs themselves, I was too young to have heard the originals of these songs. So, this and Words Of Love, etc to me were all new ‘Beatles songs’. And I loved them. I only got 2 or 3 LPs a year so I played them over and over and over. Mr Moonlight is just part of that whole experience of listening to the LP which wouldn’t be the same (for me) without it. Thirty years or so later, we hear the outtakes from the sessions. For me, they sit alongside the original LP..... no way I can start saying well they should have left something off in favour of another. As I say, too ingrained to be objective.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

:laugh::laugh:

Far from great!

24. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

John comes screaming in to start. I love every line he sings solo (pretty much every other line in the verse, which is an interesting choice). His voice sounds great all the way through. It has a lot of rough edges, it feels very much like a visit to the Cavern.

I say, whatever your resistance is here, let it go. Just enjoy it for what it is. It’s just a bit of fun and a showcase for Lennon’s voice.

25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I like it, but you likely had to be there:cheers:

billnunan and Seltarb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.