The Beatles "Mr Moonlight"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

John and Paul obviously enjoy belting this one out - I enjoy it for their enthusiasm.

Laservampire likes this.
  2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It has always annoyed me that Paul seems to get a free pass on his granny music songs but John does one slightly hokey number and it's suddenly the worst thing ever.

I'll take Mr Moonlight over the twanging monotony of Dizzy Miss Lizzy any day.

4. Swamiji

Swamiji Forum Resident

Possibly their third worst after You Know My Name and Revolution #9. I always skip it.

Rick Bartlett and billnunan like this.
  5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I was starting to have some hope for you, Sear.

And then you dashed it one post later. :shake:

I grant that everyone's tastes are different, but I'm amazed sometimes at the lengths some people go to in order to dislike Beatles songs.

For me, not counting the annoying novelty songs and a couple of the covers made unnecessary by the greatness of the originals, there are at most three or four Beatles songs that I actively dislike and would push the button on my car radio if they came on.

The rest range from at least decent and listenable through very good to indisputably outstanding.

2141 likes this.
  6. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I vote yes, I enjoy seeing others disagree.

Sear likes this.
  7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

As opposed to a “young people dance party”?

8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've always felt kind of the same way about it -- especially with that goofy, warbly organ solo.

9. EdogawaRampo

Or fancy dress-up dance cotillion...

10. EdogawaRampo

It has been written that The Beatles along with most of the other Mersey bands of the time had songs like that in their repertoire as a strategic fall back when their hit making days fell off the cliff. They could continue on on the cabaret circuit playing Till There Was You, Sheik Of Araby, Red Sails In The Sunset, Mr. Moonlight, etc., to the dinner crowds, still do what they loved doing and get some cash for it.

I'm a huge Hollies fan, but people who think Mr. Moonlight is an awful Beatles cover need to hear The Hollies cover of it off their debut LP Stay With The Hollies. The Beatles sound positively inspired by comparison IMO. And in a way it is -- Lennon's vocals, especially that incredible opener, are really something if you ask me.

bvb1123 likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It might have been 49 cents. My mom wouldn't have bought it otherwise..

12. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

When I got that album I always skipped the song and though it’s a good vocal still don’t like it.

13. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

From the beginning I never liked it...began to skip it.

14. I like the album but there is a sense of professionalism over inspiration, exhaustion and it’s a holding operation (largely).

as I said before, the vocal sells it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.