THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Let me be the first to 'say' it...

[​IMG]

Dean R, EVOLVIST, Dugan and 2 others like this.
  2. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

The Vanity Fair article makes specific reference that Jackson was not subject to vetoes in his edits. It says the George walk out is actually shown. The article also contrasts Get Back to Eight Day's a Week, saying, "Jackson’s film isn’t just a delicious peek at lost footage (though it is that). It’s an amendment to the received history." I'm getting very excited.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yes. :agree:

But I'm also thrilled at the prospect of six hours, too :love:

FVDnz, longdist01 and ODIrony like this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

Thanksgiving?

Nah.

Beatlesgiving.

5. BeatleJWOL

I mean, if you're determined to shake your fist at the inevitability historical revisionism, have at it. But that doesn't seem to be what's happening here.

This is a great article. It might not change minds, but it's a must-read.

That said:
    ‘The Beatles: Get Back’—An Exclusive Deep Dive Into Peter Jackson’s Revelatory New Movie

FVDnz, longdist01, Joe W and 4 others like this.
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

More would be nice. Maybe they can add a disk of arguments to restore some historical accuracy :)

green_ovation, adm62 and ODIrony like this.
  7. lord K

lord K Forum Resident

6 hours is incredible !!!!!

8. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I like this paragraph from the Vanity Fair article:

In a decisive and crucial creative act, Jackson says he avoided repeating footage from the original film. Even familiar scenes would use alternative camera angles. “One of our mantras is that Let It Be is one movie, and our movie is a different movie,” he says, “and we’re trying not to repeat any footage, with one or two tiny exceptions where we can’t do anything else. But we’re trying to not step on Let It Be’s toes so that it is still a film that has a reason to exist, and our movie will be a supplement to it.”

9. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

“Prop up” is a term typically used to suggest saving something that’s struggling or otherwise disappointing, which Disney+ is emphatically not.

Their original goal was to sign 60 to 90 million subscribers by 2024, but they already hit 100 million a few months ago. Recent estimates have Disney+ revenue topping $10 billion this year.

Disney Plus surpasses 100 million subscribers

Disney Plus Revenue and Usage Statistics (2021)

BeatleJWOL and NaturalD like this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

He has not been asked to do any editing whatsoever.

FVDnz, ODIrony and jmxw like this.
  11. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, Stephen Colbert - while he was visiting New Zealand and Peter - has mentioned watching 8 hours of footage.

With this six hours revelation, it makes me wonder if Stephen was actually watching a rough cut and not random footage. Like, Peter had already kind of zeroed in on what he was going to concentrate on.

He discusses it here:

I don't think the forum preserves time stamps - the brief discussion happens around the 5:00 minute mark.

Cheers,
    Paul

12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

FVDnz and jacden like this.
  13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

While the arguing and pettiness and long-held resentments are part of the story, I don't think they're the whole story. If they're showing George's walk-out, that suggests to me this isn't exactly whitewashed history, but a wider view of the footage than Michael Lindsay-Hogg's deeply subjective viewpoint ever was.

dunce, FVDnz, ODIrony and 6 others like this.
  14. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

Exactly. For those who always find an angle to complain over- I have two words..and it’s not happy birthday ...it’s .”six hours”!

FVDnz, ODIrony, Floater and 4 others like this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

longdist01 likes this.
  16. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The anthology was 8 hours from beginning to end

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

I'm sure you're right, but then again I was joking, making reference to the original 1970 film which was edited after three people complained that... oh it doesn't matter. :D

Kim Olesen and jmxw like this.
  18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Which covered 30 years, not 30 days ...

19. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

The Anthology was well under 6 hours in the TV broadcast version, and if you watch the full version, a lot of the running time is “Ken Burns”-style shooting of still photos and montages while a song plays. It’s kind of amazing that now we are getting presumably 6 hours of actual footage covering a single month.

20. jacden

jacden Senior Member

The DVD set is 10 hours (not counting bonus features), with each episode running about 75 minutes.

The TV version was significantly shorter. About 5 hours altogether I think.

ODIrony and longdist01 like this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

He says "raw" very quickly.

22. Quantum Reason

Quantum Reason Forum Resident

I have Disney +. But, in no way should this be exclusive to it; a cut-down 2hr version would have been perfect. Save the 6 hr cut for the Blu-ray and/or UHD. Now, this piece of classic history will probably be shackled to Disney forever. Hopefully there's contracts allocating for home video release at some point in the future. This should be handled more like a theatrical release with an eventual home video release and not perpetual streaming. Look what happened to Star Wars as an example. There's still no home video release for The Madalorian and look how popular that show is with the fans. Getting in bed with Disney is like getting in bed with Satan. We all know what happens with any property like this. Disney can pull it at anytime, raise prices on their service or you can no longer afford the high cost of cable.

longdist01 and TheOrangeApple like this.
  23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

24. dude

dude Senior Member

I'm blown away by this thread. When did this go from a movie to a streaming documentary??!! Was it the Deadline article from today?

25. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

It’s a movie, with nothing changed from the original Beatles announcement from January 2019. What we learned today is that the movie won’t be released in cinemas (possibly not anticipated pre-COVID, but also not unheard of even then) and that the movie is going to be 3 times longer than anybody expected. But for some reason people are talking about broken promises.
    NEW FILM PROJECT: Announcing an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles and the acclaimed Academy Award winning director Sir Peter Jackson

ODIrony and BeatleJWOL like this.