THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. damien

damien Forum Resident

Anyone read the piece yet? Any 'juice' we should know about?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I was unimpressed. The majority of the Paul and Ringo quotes were 5 years old and of little consequence. It's a minor error, but repeatedly calling "Two of Us", "The Two of Us" really got on my nerves. The article suggests that Jackson MAY be doing, in part, a documentary about the making of a documentary, but even that was unclear. Misattributing the "boatload of mental deficients and three dwarves" comment to Ringo, I guess is a minor error, but it would be so out of character for him and is so IN character for John that I think it qualifies as an embarrassing blunder. Not really worth the read, IMO. On the positive side the contemporary interview bits with Lindsay-Hogg were vaguely interesting. He's all on board for Jackson's work, and he mentions that both The Beatles and UA wanted edits to his rough cut - the former wanting less focus on John & Yoko and the latter wanting "more music, less talking".

damien and Cristiano Cortellazzi like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG] ;)

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'll assume/hope/pray the movie will have the whole 42'ish minutes of the rooftop Concert on Blu ray/DVD. It won't bug me if they played some of the same songs a few times...

beatleroadie likes this.
  5. RayS

Now I know what he was talking about! :)

Floater likes this.
  6. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Just my two cents: every insider here must have been told to shut up, basically, by the powers that be until further notice.
    As it’s been suggested, decisions are being made now, plans are being discussed and I don’t know if we’ll hear from them until waters are quiet.

I could be wrong, just guessing, but...

saborlord123 and applejam101 like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Well, no one has shut me up yet. So I can supply all the insider information that you could wish for.

But I don't have any... :shrug:

;)

a customer, ODIrony, Floater and 2 others like this.
  8. Cristiano Cortellazzi

You are not an insider! You are possibly the bartender of the whole forum :uhhuh:

9. Arnold Grove

:cheers:

jmxw, andrewskyDE, ODIrony and 2 others like this.
  10. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Which means we will still receive actual Beatle news on the same schedule as before, when the press release comes out.

11. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

Could be similar to what he did for his They Shall Not Grow Old documentary, which had a brief 15-minute rundown of the restoration process post-credits. I thought it was very interesting, and I think an even longer program was aired on television.

musicfan37 likes this.
  12. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

A PJ Doc on the history of how this film came about, the release, the shelving, the cancelled announced release and how this project began with maybe a phone call from Paul to Yoko?
    Could be a block buster.
    Maybe this delay is because this movie is going to be great and they want to reap the max rewards.

ODIrony, BeatleJWOL and musicfan37 like this.
  13. RayS

I stayed for the featurette, it was well worth it.

IMO, you can’t do a “documentary about the making of the documentary” without touching on the negative elements (including George’s departure) that are being bypassed by design.

ODIrony likes this.
  14. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

It just makes sense to me that they want to maximize the box office takings, by having a "in theatres only" window at a time when people may feel more comfortable about going to the theatres.

A lot of people in fandom circles are calling for a digital release, but they need to realise that within a day or two of streaming, good quality pirated copies will appear online.

While it's in theatres only, the only pirated copies would be very dodgy handicam/cellphone/tablet-filmed - recorded in stealth from in the theatre, and close to unwatchable.

ODIrony likes this.
  15. Cristiano Cortellazzi

You have a point.
    I’m a fan, I began searching for a copy of LIB (the movie) when I was 18 in 1990: I asked a guy at Tower Records in London. His response was: “er, man, it’s not available, sorry” :hide:.
    Now I’m 47, got four pirate (including the 1992 Furmarek remaster) copies of the movie on DVD and still I am waiting.

At this point ok: time passes quickly by, let’s wait a bit more BUT.. I want a damn good movie, I want it big and as complete as possible.

As for the LIB50, I still think Christmas time is perfect for a release of it. I am nobody of course but these are my two cents.

musicfan37, ODIrony, forthlin and 4 others like this.
  16. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Anybody checked out the Let It Be footage someone posted on You Tube a few days ago. Included in the 33 minutes is four minutes of footage that appears to be from the January 10 jam with Yoko after George split the group. I've never seen any jam footage before. Some of it isn't synced up to the audio but a lot of it is. Ringo drumming like a maniac, Paul getting feedback out of his Hofner, Yoko shrieking "John" over and over. Has any of this been out in the ether before? It may have but it was new to me.

Here's a link before it gets yanked:

LFSDoc, ODIrony, Floater and 2 others like this.
  17. RayS

The January 10th jam footage surfaced in the ‘80s around the time of “Yoko Ono: Then and Now”, which was released in 1984 and contains excerpts of that material.

Floater, ODIrony, forthlin and 2 others like this.
  18. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Cool. I've come across a lot of Let It Be footage but never that little snippet.

RayS likes this.
  19. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

That's a 30 min clip from the PJ film that was leaked a few days ago :hide:

Floater and applejam101 like this.
  20. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I heard about the delay on the Beatles channel, and immediately started punching the air as if I was Ali.

21. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Holy moly I just realized the “irony” with the year delay!

ODIrony likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Allen Klein will rise from the dead to take charge of this fiasco! ;)

jmxw and ODIrony like this.
  23. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

This is off topic but i am trapping some feral cats. I post videos for my friends on facebook. I have music playing on my back deck. I have posted videos with rod Stewart's cut across shorty
    Steely dan your gold teeth
    The music just happens to be playing in the background by random chance.
    I posted a video with Beatles got to get you in to my life playing in background.
    I get notifications of copyright stuff. Do they not recognize rod stewart or steely dan songs. Do they only recognize beatles songs? They are only commenting on the beatles music.

Floater likes this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I got dinged on Facebook for my Sun Studios video; a Johnny Cash song was playing at the end of the tour and Facebook said "nope!"

25. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I thought it was weird because got to get you into my life gets a notification but rod stewart (singing eddie cochran song) and Steely Dan dont get mentioned.
    the music just happens to be playing in the background.

BeatleJWOL likes this.