THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. maclen

maclen Senior Member

There was a condensed version of the book that came out in the seventies I believe. I have that and the original. Perhaps that’s the difference?

sws2000 and Floater like this.
  2. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I'd say that explains it. Never knew of this second edition.

sws2000 and Floater like this.
  3. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I’ll have to pull it out of my Beatle box in the closet. I don’t know if it’s “official”. But is easily identifiable as it’s not as many pages.

Floater likes this.
  4. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I may have missed it or the reality has just hit me but we aren't getting a The Beatles release this Christmas,
    I've gotten used it in recent years

longdist01 and Floater like this.
  5. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

Well, at least there is this: McCartney III (December 11, 2020).

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Andre :edthumbs:

longdist01 likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I mean, they could quickly fill the void by putting out the Christmas discs on CD. I suppose that's back to the old ways of being "too obvious"...

Floater and SunSon like this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

I like that the first line on that links directly to a page on this very forum that says nothing concrete about McCartney III except "boy, that'd be neat".

Floater likes this.
  9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

They should release the 1966 Christmas record everywhere, but with a different picture sleeve for each city mentioned in "Everywhere It's Christmas".

10. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Don't worry, it's bigger on the inside.

Floater and Leviethan like this.
  11. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

From Twitter, an interview with Mark Lewisohn from last year that has some interesting discussion about the Get Back project. It has import for the "Paul's rewriting history" debate.

blutiga, Floater and marmalade166 like this.
  12. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Just had the thought while reading your post regarding rewriting history...

What if the original film was edited in a way that made them look bad? There is supposed to be all this wonderful happy footage of them getting along and having fun and all that wasn’t included in the original. Didn’t they walk away from the project and left it in the hands of others?

paulewalnutz and ODIrony like this.
  13. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Not to go all QAnon here, but perhaps MLH purposely edited it to come off gloomy out of revenge for them not giving him the big concert finale that would have catapulted him into movie director legend status. :yikes:

Floater likes this.
  14. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Why is it people always talk about Let it Be as though they spend the whole film in a perpetual shouting match? I don't think it "makes them look bad" at all, I've seen the film George gets a little short with Paul and then they just get on with it. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Especially since they just move back into Apple, get Billy Preston, and then everything is fine.

mpayan, polchik, planckera and 6 others like this.
  15. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Those same people call the part with George getting short an argument.

CraigBic likes this.
  16. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Seldom does a day go by, that I don't have a worse argument than that little spat. Yet here we are, 35 years later, still happily married. That was such a crock and so blown out of proportion.

mpayan, vegafleet, jacden and 3 others like this.
  17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I don't know if this wonderful interview gives any deep insight to the Paul rewriting history trope, but it sure serves as a brilliant and passionate tribute to the humanity, value and uniqueness of John. So glad to listen to this, thank you! It has really added to the 80th birthday events for me, even if serendipitously. I think with Sean's excellent features focussing on the music, this inconspicuous Lewisohn public talk could easily serve as a fitting 80th birthday tribute to the man's extra musical gifts.

ODIrony likes this.
  18. damien

damien Forum Resident

This whole thing will be worth it just to see a cleaned up version of a) the rooftop and b) the Two Of Us footage with Paul and John doing their thing together at the mic (i love that clip!). Seems flatly extraordinary that such footage hasn't been even available in DVD quality let alone BluRay, to say nothing of the fact that *even VHS copies* have been difficult to source since the 1980s!

BeatleJWOL and ronbow like this.
  19. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Paul McCartney on Peter Jackson’s Beatles documentary ‘Get Back’: “We loved each other and it shows in the film”
    "He’s shown me little bits and pieces of it and it’s great, I love it.[​IMG]
    Paul McCartney (Picture: Getty)
    Paul McCartney has hailed Peter Jackson’s upcoming documentary Get Back for providing an authentic portrait of The Beatles‘ final years together.

The new film from the Lord Of The Rings director captures the making of the band’s final album, 1970’s ‘Let It Be’, which is set to challenge the popular narrative that the group constantly clashed during their later years.

When asked about his early reactions to the film, McCartney told BBC 6Music’s Matt Everitt: “I love it”

He also admitted that he originally questioned why Jackson wished to make the film – which draws from material originally captured by director Michael Lindsay-Hogg for his 1970 documentary of the album.

“I said to him [Jackson] when he was going to trawl through all the footage – like about 56 hours or something – I said, ‘Oh God, it’s going to be boring’ because my memory of the [original 1970] film was that it was a very sad time, and it was a little bit downbeat, the film,” he admitted.

[​IMG]
    The Beatles play their final rooftop gig in 1969 (Picture: Express/ Getty Images)
    “But he got back to me he said ‘No, I’m looking at it. ‘It’s a laugh – you guys, it’s just four guys working and you can see you making up songs.’

“George wondering about the lyrics of ‘Something In The Way She Moves’ or me trying to figure out ‘Get Back’ and he’s shown me little bits and pieces of it and it’s great, I love it, I must say because it’s how it was. It just reminds me of – even though we had arguments, like any family – we loved each other, you know, and it shows in the film.

“It’s a very warm feeling, And it’s amazing just being backstage with these people, making this music that turned out to be good.

McCartney’s comments come as he prepares to release ‘McCartney III‘ in December, which completes his eponymous record trilogy following 1970’s ‘McCartney’ and 1980’s ‘McCartney III’. It marks the musician’s eighteenth solo release, which was recorded during the coronavirus lockdown and follows 2018’s ‘Egypt Station’.

Discussing his 50-year music career, he recently said: “Everything I do is always supposed to be my last. When I was 50 – ‘That’s his last tour.’ And it was like, ‘Oh, is it? I don’t think so.’ It’s the rumour mill, but that’s ok,”.

“When we did [Beatles album] ‘Abbey Road’ I was dead, so everything else is a bonus."

Brian Mc likes this.
  20. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hallelujah!!!!

22. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

For the most part, I don't think most folks would say anything definite about a movie that is still in process.

I do think a lot of us became concerned when:
    • Disney jumped on board because that suggests the product would be kept light and geared to a broad audience. I think a lot of folks are skeptical that the process and end product would follow Ron Howard's "Eight Days a Week" feature film -- Make it as light and entertaining as possible.
    • Ringo was going out of his way to throw an entirely different light on the "Get Back" sessions and talk how much they all "loved each other" and such.
    All that said, no one at this point knows exactly what the movie will show. It's incorrect to slant one one way or the other.

As this board is loaded with BeatlesGeeks, we would want this project to take a more documentary-type approach and really dive deep, but we all accept that we are just a very small segment of the audience that this multi-million project will try to hit.

JCo, ODIrony and Kim Olesen like this.
  23. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

"BeatlesGeeks" ... the real BGs :pleased:

FVDnz, Floater and gogators1 like this.
  24. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

25. BeatleJWOL

I love everything about this.