THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Apple doesn't generally announce releases more than 6-8 weeks in advance, but since the Abbey Road 50th set has been confirmed (by those with sources), you can almost definitely take the rest of 2019 off for Let It Be news.

Beatlebug likes this.
  2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

July 16, 2014 announcement
    Ron Howard To Direct New Beatles Film About The Touring Years

Sept. 15-16, 2016 movie premier.

So...nearly two years.

Sean Murdock and Beatlebug like this.
  3. Sean Murdock

Right, the announcement of the existence of a project can be several years in advance -- as with the Ron Howard film you cited. Years before that, even, Apple had announced a "Beatles Live" project that they were soliciting materials for. The "Anthology" project was whispered about as early as 1989 (not under that name), but we didn't know a release date until well into 1994.

But announcing a release date is a different matter, and those typically arrive 6-12 weeks in advance. If we're trying to divine when in 2020 the LIB50 release might be, we just don't know yet -- it will depend on how important the actual 50th anniversary is to Apple. So far, Pepper50 and WA50 have been released very close to their actual anniversaries (June 2017 and November 2018), so the release date of Abbey Road 50 will probably be our best indicator. If it comes out in September of this year, then yeah -- they really want to stick to the DAY and not just the YEAR of the 50th, so we could expect LIB50 in May 2020. But if they move AR50 to the more lucrative holiday market (Oct-Nov-Dec 2019), then these things are flexible and they'll put it out whenever they think will be the best for sales.

4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I agree with everything you've said.
    Still, to compare the recent announcement of Peter Jackson's involvement with the similar involvement of a director for 8DAW, it appears to be about 2 years out. So that may be a clue for when we may see the Peter Jackson version of the movie (although I think it will be in the 5oth anniversary year of Let It Be movie and album release).

The Beatles Live Project was, of course, announced much earlier. But the entire focus of the project changed once Ron Howard came onto the scene (and not for the better, in my opinion). We ended up with a much different film than what was originally described in the Beatles Live announcements.

Beatlebug and Sean Murdock like this.
  5. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

I wouldn't fault Howard for that change. The principals knew what they wanted and signed off on it.

Vidiot and dewey02 like this.
  6. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

True, however I did read somewhere (can't remember where now) that Howard came up with the ideas for a change in direction for the film once he came on. Regardless, the direction of the film took a big detour once Howard came on, whether it was his idea or the principals' idea.

7. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

Thanks a lot Sean.

O Don Piano, kevywevy and dewey02 like this.
  8. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Gawd, there has to be a vhs version, just has to be. Teehee

Purple Jim likes this.
  9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Well to be accurate the project that the Anthology became was first announced in January 1970. But what's 24 years when you're waiting for a Beatles project.

crispi, Sean Murdock and forthlin like this.
  10. voles

voles Forum Lurker

The Yellow Submarine remixes? The 'Beatles in Mono' releases, 1 & 1+, The White Album 50th to name a few...

longdist01 and Lownote30 like this.
  11. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

I have just read through everyone’s comments: will it have, they better have, they should have, they just gotta have, etc. let’s let mr. jackson do his job. He can deal with treatment of legendary subjects like lord of the rings and include additional material from its appendix back stories.. He even made a trilogy of movies from the 230 page prequel, so he can bring subject material to life and give the story.

First he loves the beatles, but he also wont depart from the truth. This is a guy who burps on screen in the fellowship and takes an arrow from legalas in the two towers. He will tell the story from the material he is given. Its 55 hours so some things due to his judgment or is its 30 versions of rooftop getback, it may not be worth including. Mr. jackson has shown homself to be responsible and imaginative in relating vintage and literature to the final work product. Just like we didn't get cartoon crap like the lord of the rings cartoons of th 1980s, we wont get the cartoon beatles we had in sixties. Done my rant and will see what he does.

musicfan37, Simon A, MoonPool and 6 others like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well it be in 3D?

13. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Not sure if you’re joking, but I think the rooftop in 3D would be breathtaking...

Solaris and longdist01 like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Doable I’d imagine.

15. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

That would be an awesome bonus!

16. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Well it would be great if they could bring the band to the foreground and move Yoko to the background.

BZync and Beatle Ed like this.
  17. Sean Murdock

True enough, but I was kind of separating the original "Long And Winding Road" documentary from what more closely resembled the eventual "Anthology" project -- the Beatles' story told by the Beatles, with new interviews and maybe -- maybe!! -- a reunion for some incidental music. Neil's original 1970 rough cut was still an evolving idea as late as 1980, if a John Lennon deposition in the Beatlemania lawsuit is to be believed. But after his death it stalled and eventually turned into the "Threetles" project we eventually got.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Critter and dewey02 like this.
  19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Kim Olsen's awesome power of suggestion! 2014!!

[​IMG]

20. -Cabinessence-

-Cabinessence- Forum Resident

If someone can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear then I trust Peter Jackson.
    I never thought I would see a credible LOTR in my lifetime and he proved me wrong.
    WW1 doc proved he still has his chops (don't mention The Hobbit).
    Don't quote me but I've Got A Feeling.......

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It gives me hope the new movie will be more like a 5-star gourmet meal instead of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

MoonPool likes this.
  22. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

23. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Still thinking on recent events:

September 2019- Abbey Road Box Set

November/December- London Town/Back to the Egg/ Wings 1978-1980 (?) box set

April/May 2020- Let it Be Box Set & new Peter Jackson Movie...................

Sean Murdock and BZync like this.
  24. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

PLUS.................

[​IMG]

We can only pray for the best!!!