THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

The Blu-Ray spec doesn't actually support 1080p25.

2. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Oops, if MMT was indeed shot/editied/restored in 1080p25 they could have considered releasing it on BD in 1080i50 then, at least for regions that support it (my wishful thinking, I know)...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The MMT bluray was released in 1080i.

4. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Trying to figure out how they will tell the story without narration and/or current interviews. There's really no way to convey things like George having walked out, as that happened off camera...or why Billy Preston was brought in. Certainly we understand a lot of it now because of the known history of the sessions, but there's very little in the material itself to explain context.

steve_miller likes this.
  5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

1080i60 though

6. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

I'm curious to see how LIB... Naked is handled. I believe it will be mostly ignored.
    Even though it has been bootlegged, I still would like to see Get back given a release as part of the 50th anniversary edition.
    The film has a chance to be great.

ronbow likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

So are we getting the original Let It Be movie only with a longer cut. Or is the GH “ I play anything you want me to play “ bit edited out?

Carl80 likes this.
  8. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Completely new documentary.

Carl80 likes this.
  9. alexpop

So nothing like the original movie. Bits taken from the original but juxtaposed sorta thing?

Carl80 likes this.
  10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

As I understand it from what I’ve heard, it’ll be the original film AND the new documentary.

11. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, i don’t really see LIBN as a significant part of the Get Back / Let It Be story. I could see isolated tracks being used, but Glyn Johns and Get Back is really a huge part of the story. It would be great to see the earlier Get Back included, or - even better - re-constructed using Johns’ 3rd compilation from May 69 as the template, cleaned up and finally - after 51 years - prepped for release.

steve_miller likes this.
  12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Peter Jackson is making a completely new documentary and the original will also be re-released separately.

Wingsfan2012, Carl80 and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

That explains it. Least the original film complete theatrical cut version separate is welcome. Don’t see the purpose of a “documentary “ unless it involves unseen period footage no doubt from taken from the original film source.

Carl80 and musicfan37 like this.
  14. alexpop

On reflection I’d prefer Tune In Vol 2

GMDuss likes this.
  15. I finally saw the film TV Movie, and now I know why it's been buried for decades... it's just not that good.

ODIrony, ronbow, SunSon and 1 other person like this.
  16. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Yes, looking at it 50 years on, it certainly has it's shortcomings. I have to say though, to this Beatles freak, when it was released it was incredible.
    From the perspective of there not being but a handful of TV appearances to reflect on, a 90m film of them being in a studio element was the motherlode.
    I am happily awaiting what will be coming. Certainly the opportunity to get it right exists.

17. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Chris Willman (@CWillman) interview with Giles Martin:

Beatles Remixer and Curator Giles Martin on the Art of Re-Crossing ‘Abbey Road’

A question about Let It Be project...

"In the book it says a majority of songs on “Abbey Road” were actually recorded in some form at some point during the “Let It Be” sessions. So it seems safe to guess that when the “Let It Be” box comes out, that will have some of the roughest versions or snippets of “Abbey Road” songs."

Giles:

"In all honesty, I have actually started working on the “Let It Be” film, which is this Peter Jackson project, but I haven’t been asked to do any record stuff yet. So I don’t honestly know the answer to that.

Again, if there’s material that’s good and it’s worth listening to, then we always try and get the fans to be able to hear it. But you’re talking to the son of someone who strongly believed that singles shouldn’t be on an album because you’re making the fans buy the music too many times! So there’s that spiritual level of, if people are going to part with their hard-earned cash, let’s make sure it’s all good enough."

18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

On another post someone reported that the new "Let It Be" is in post production at this point...…..do we have any confirmation at this point?

tug_of_war and jibbers like this.
  19. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I expect with Jackson's team and expertise (look at his WWI film), that all the grain on the "Let It Be" songs we saw on the "1" Blu-ray will be gone...……………..

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

hmmm, I wonder who his dad is... seems to have some connection with the Music Industry

ODIrony likes this.
  21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’ll wait for the extended version :cheers:

22. peter

peter Senior Member

This would be great!

23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

from IMDB, here is one of Peter Jackson's directing credits

Peter Jackson (I)
    Producer | Director | Writer

Director
    Untitled Beatles Documentary (Documentary) (post-production)

Cast
    Credited cast:
    [​IMG] John Lennon ... Himself (archive footage)
    [​IMG] Paul McCartney ... Himself (archive footage)
    [​IMG] George Harrison ... Himself (archive footage)
    [​IMG] Ringo Starr ... Himself (archive footage)

24. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I wonder if the verse "There will be no sorrow, Let it Be" be edited out of the live performance of the song in the original film like it was for the '1' video set. That sort of bummed me out, as I always liked that little change in the lyric.

25. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

Forgive me if this was already addressed in the previous 13 pages but I've always wondered if a full restoration would include removing (digitally, I assume ) the "hairs" that frequently appear on the frame edge (actually not hairs but slivers of film in the camera gates that should've been cleaned out regularly).