THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Quite possibly. I would also like to see the Beatles' skin a natural color and not the pink hue that Apple is apparently a fan of.

BrettyD, applebonkerz and longdist01 like this.
  2. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Sounds like the actual 50th anniversary month (May 2020) may still be good for release, yeah?

Announcements for the 3 previous boxsets were about 7 weeks before release.. so I guess if there's a CD companion to the new movie, and it's out May 2020 as well - then announcement sometime in March??

3. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I think NAKED disappears. Giles remix will avoid redundancy with the Anthology and Naked material(frankentakes) as he has in the previous mixes. If Giles is going hands on then his will be the first Martin mix of the project. I think he may go with different takes or separate the rooftop performances from the studio work sticking with the Get Back concept. NAKED is old enough to be passed over. He has all the source tapes, APPLE'S approval and the freedom to really top all prior editions of the album... John's and Spector are out of the picture though without sam okell on board perhaps Guy Massey will have another shot at it. I wonder if any NAGRA reels will factor in.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  4. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

True...I'd like to see some documentary material as the Beatles and their associates must have received some coverage in the media of the day!

5. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

That edit goes back a long way. The clip was shown on TV in 1970 to accompany the release of the Let It Be single, and I taped it on my reel to reel. After seeing the film later that year - and being intrigued by the ‘no sorrow’ lyric change - I went back to my tape to see which version it was. To my disappointment, it was, of course, the single version as issued. :(

JonUrban likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a very standard part of digital restoration and not hard to do. Flicker is removed as well, as are color mismatches and density shifts.

I think both Harrison and Preston talked about this in 1980s and 1990s interviews that have been archived, so Jackson can always go back to archival footage and let them explain what happened (and what didn't happen). I believe Harrison talks about this in the 2011 Living in the Material World documentary through older interviews. Bear in mind that these were the most interviewed people in the world for a long time, so chances are, the footage exists somewhere, and it's more of a question if Apple has the rights or can get the rights.

Chris DeVoe, marmalade166 and Simon A like this.
  7. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Saw the movie at the theater and many times on video years back. They still remain my favorite vocal group.

One thing I observed in the eighties from the actual video cassette was the audio and video on the music portions throughout didn’t seem properly synced, or, the some of the video’s audio was replaced, both in the studio and rooftop (at least to these unprofessional eyes).

Also, regarding the rooftop @ :53 here (‘The Making Of Let It Be’):

The Making of Let It Be

How’d that microphone pick up Paul’s “once belonged” and his “Wooo” @ the same volume when he’s clearly away from it, as well as John’s closing audition speech as he’s turning away from his mic?

8. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Certainly something like this is possible. I just think people better be prepared for a film that includes content not from January 1969...there's just no way to tell the story solely from the original footage and audio.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm almost positive that Jackson's film will have contemporary interviews and narration -- particularly from Ringo and Paul -- commenting on how they feel today vs. how they felt during the events of 1969. It would be interesting (for example) to show the infamous scene where Harrison snaps sarcastically to Paul, "I'll play whatever you want me to play, or I won't play at all if you don't want to me to play... whatever it is that will please you," and then have Paul comment today on how he felt about that moment. He's said before in interviews he didn't think it was a big deal at the time and was kind of shocked when Harrison abruptly left the studio soon afterwards. I don't know if either apologized, but I know an interview exists where Harrison commented he felt Paul was much too "bossy" during the sessions and he was seething with anger. (Or at least seething as much as a highly-evolved, religious, philosophical man can be.)

I think when you put four world-famous multi-millionaire rock stars in the same room for weeks on end, and one of them tells the other(s) how to play, there's inevitably going to be a degree of tension. I think Lennon once said it wasn't a surprise that things fell apart in 1969: he quipped that the real surprise was that they stuck together as long as they did, roughly ten years.

The magic of film. Rock concerts almost always dictate grabbing shots at certain moments when you just don't have enough coverage. Nowadays, they can have 10, 15, 20 cameras all going at the same time for hours and hours without stopping. This wasn't possible in January 1969, so the editors had to be inventive and just get a shot to fill a hole so the show doesn't go to black.

It does drive me crazy when I see a guitarist playing a solo that isn't on the soundtrack (because the shot is wrong), or the drummer fails to hit a snare or ride the cymbal like he is on the track. Rock concerts are very, very hard to put together, particularly when there's just one performance and there wasn't a way to get extra shots. (Woodstock is a good example of this problem.)

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A Hard Day’s Night 60th Anniversary in a few years, movie in color no doubt.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I'm good with that. Including later interview audio from John and George would be welcomed too. I just don't need [insert celeb here] talking about it.

OldSoul, JCo, Jimbo62 and 2 others like this.
  12. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

For those here who have heard about Peter Jackson's First World War film 'They Shall Not Grow Old", and want to get an appreciation of his documentary skills, BBC2 here in the UK are showing the film tonight at 10.10pm.

13. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

And they could use the audio of Harrison walking out to a still or related moving image.

JCo, NumberEight and Vidiot like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I hope they don't try and remove all the grain, but rather keep it looking like film to some degree. If the sound mix is a total knock-out, some grain can be over-looked after the first 10 seconds of viewing.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Shot on 35mm B&W camera negative, so that'd be hard to do. I had the original camera negative in my hand for the opening shot where they're running towards the camera (used for the Making of Hard Day's Night special I worked on years ago), but I didn't check to see if it was Kodak or Ilford or what specific stock. I think the preservationists would scream if somebody tried to colorize it.

I think there's a way to get rid of about half of the grain and keep it consistent throughout the project, to the point where the grain doesn't get in the way, but a little bit of it is still there.

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Of interest here:

Paul:
    As we prepared the Anthology series, George and I were joking that we should call the next album Scraping the Bottom of the Barrel. These things are like photos of yourself from when you were young that you thought were terrible. Now, you think they look good. And this seems to be an endless barrel -- stuff keeps coming up. One of the things we’re working on is the 58 hours of footage that turned into the Let It Be film. The director tells me that the overall impression is of friends working together, whereas because it was so close to The Beatles’ breakup, my impression of the film was of a sad moment. Something’s going to come out from that footage. It won’t be called Let It Be, but there will be something.

So apparently it won't be called Let It Be.

Paul McCartney on Life, Art and Business After the Beatles

17. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

maybe The Long And Winding Road To The Four Estates:D

18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Call me a visual snob, but that grain on the "Let it Be" footage really stood out to me and even with great 5.1 sound, it did effect my enjoyment of those songs!

19. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I would not worry this time. Jackson is a big Beatles fan so this is a passion project for him.

These days they use temporal frame stacking where they can average similar portions of the image across multiple frames. Across any three consecutive film frames you have one underlying image BUT three different images of grain (and damage). The computer simply subtracts the common material in each image from the different material (grain) and you recover (for the most part) the original image free of grain. Mike Verta has demonstrations on Vimeo of what he processed from an original print of Star Wars and the recovered image almost looks like a modern HD image. His restored FX shots are stunning and Disney or whoever didn't even attempt to clean them for the reissues they just inserted new digital shots.

Hopefully Jackson will leave some grain in just to retain the film look.

20. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

A little grain but not enough to distract! Part of me does want a 2020 look to it.....clear and sounding great!

21. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

There you have it, from Paul McCartney himself, the film will be called "There Will Be Something".

Not what I was expecting, but it's growing on me.

22. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

If it is not going to be called Let It Be then we are going to get a completely new take on the film, if that's the case it sounds good to me

23. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Or... That Would Be Something? o_O

24. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

And if there's any doubts about that claim, check out this scene from his debut film Bad Taste.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought I'd post up this press release from Mal Evans about that (not) upcoming "Get Back" album. This might be included word-for-word in many of the Beatles books most everyone has read already, but I'd bet a few members have not yet seen this.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend!!!

[​IMG]