THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Interesting, I've never heard that, but it doesn't surprise me. In any event, I am a little suspicious of the new discoveries, being made left and right, that the last two years of the Beatles career were actually Not That Bad -- the White Album session tapes show a band having fun! The Get Back sessions have lots of magic in them! I can't say I've listened to every available Nagra tape, but the vast majority of what I've seen and heard sounds like the work of people with a lot less inspiration, having a lot less fun, than, say, the lovely "Think for Yourself" session tapes where they're joking around and singing beautifully. A lot of the "fun" stuff seems like they're all making an effort, but it's not really genuine. Visually, seeing a clearly strung out, uncommunicative John with Yoko forming a physical barrier against the other three means the warm-fuzzy-Beatlemania stuff doesn't ring true to me, either. This was a dysfunctional year for the band.

But I'm still intrigued.

2. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

The only information we have is that the movie is being edited by Peter Jackson and that the original edit will have a release too.

beatleroadie likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I don't think that is the case. In fact, the original film makes Paul look too good compared to everyone else, so the contrast is overly obvious. Or it makes Paul look like the main actor, with the others as supporting characters.

Plus Paul worked with Hogg on many video projects throughout the 1970s. Paul liked what Lindsay-Hogg did (under the circumstances), and presumably had the best friendship (out of the Fabs) with Lindsay-Hogg.

mbleicher1 likes this.
  4. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I knew it, after re-inventing the White Album as a happy album, now also the Let It Be sessions are being re-eveluated through the positivity ionizer. The idea of Beatles ever arguing or being miserable must be erased from history! I guess they’ll have 14547338844 re-shoot the last episode of Anthology too…

5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

End of the day worth it for the roof top performance alone.

7. alexpop

I would never have thought Let It Be getting a Blu Ray release first and Bowie's video hits collection still on DVD.

bobcat likes this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

So i wonder if eventually "The Anthology" series (Blu-Rays) will be meticulously restored by Peter Jackson's team...everyone should go see the ww1 film "They Shall Not Grow Old" Unbelievable the results Peter realized in that 100 yro silent b&w footage!

Chris DeVoe and bobcat like this.
  9. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. introspective88

introspective88 Well-Known Member

OK. I'll take a punt on 910 pages for this thread...

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  11. alexpop

A Hard Day's Night in COLOR :goodie:

12. alexpop

ODIrony likes this.
  13. alexpop

Half a century ago..
    Wanted want one of the biscuits now.

14. alexpop

May release ? :)

15. alexpop

Abbey Road in a few months ...tis thee 50th !!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Geller and blutiga like this.
  16. alexpop

Seen it the first time round. Media will suffice. :D

17. Bern

Bern JC4Me

With nearly a year and a half to go? (a guess)...I'll take the OVER.

18. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Now I am going to be watching this movie soon. Thanks

Magic and longdist01 like this.
  19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Glyn's selections for his final compilation are solid, and the basis of what followed, but I can't say I'm wild about all his mixing decisions. Some of the spacey reverb....:sigh:

However, this announcement is great news. Just fantastic.

Chris M and IronWaffle like this.
  20. alexpop

Something in common.. as The Beatles were going to do The Lord Of The Rings in the late sixties.

MekkaGodzilla, mmars982 and blutiga like this.
  21. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Which is why i would absolutely love to have Get Back reconstructed and remixed, using Johns’ compilation - 1st one please - as a template, to provide better sound and a slightly more-polished album. This would deliver the Get Back we were “promised” mid-69 by the Rolling Stone article and the early boots, and expecting in September. It would provide some closure on that unreleased album, “warts-and-all”.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    kevintee and Solaris like this.
  22. Solaris

He certainly didn't, but in MLH's defense, that project was a sh*tshow. I just listened again to the Nagra tapes and it's a wonder any of them survived Twickenham. Michael is so painfully at sea amidst The Beatles' indecision and miscommunication that I suspect he walked out of that shoot with PTSD. Anyone directly involved in the filming and recordings seems not to have been able to step back and get any perspective on the whole thing, which is why I think Glyn's compilations all fall flat. I don't like Spector's orchestras and choir overdubs, but I think he generally managed a better album of the whole thing simply because he wasn't there at the time it was recorded. A month of misery will do something to you.

23. Solaris

Agreed, 100%.

24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What about a stand-alone soundtrack to the Peter Jackson film (which would probably be some combination of the original album masters and newly released outtakes...hello a longer "Dig It" and other snippets of busked covers), then a separate cleaned up/remixed Glyn John's "mix" of GET BACK is included as a bonus disc in the inevitable LIB50th box set?

The discs on 7-Disc LIB50 could be:

CD1 - Original LP (2020 Remix)
    CD2 - Twickenham Rehearsals
    CD3 - Apple Sessions
    CD4 - Rooftop Show
    CD5 - 1969 "Get Back" Mix (Glynn Johns)
    Blu-ray1 - Hi-Res Audio
    Blu-ray2 - Original edit of LET IT BE film
    ?

Of course if Apple is smart they'll package the Peter Jackson Film Blu-ray with a soundtrack on CD as a two-disc package.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    xj32 and ronbow like this.
  25. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

So you’ve got two “completed” albums - LIB and Get Back, which should be a given for a deluxe edition. There are a number of ways to address the additional material including 1 disk per venue (Twickenham, Apple, Rooftop). A new soundtrack compilation might be interesting, or simply distributing the “new” tracks across the sessions by venue.