THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I’m well aware (42 minutes if you want to get pedantic) but see composite mixes of Don’t Let Me Down and I’ve Got a Feeling from LIBN for previous examples of bad decision making. Let’s hope wiser heads prevail this time.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

George Martin may have gotten some equipment there before they left but it’s unclear if any of it was used. Probably not, but we can hope!

Bern likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Exactly what I thought!

4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I think it would make more sense to have the complete rooftop concert as bonus footage on the DVD/Blu-Ray. The performance was 42 minutes long - that's maybe 40% of the running time of the average feature film.

Ideally, the new film will just be an edit of the 1969 footage. Maybe some new interviews could be bonuses as well. I know that in 2003 or so, during an abortive attempt to release Let It Be, they tracked down and interviewed the two cops who went up to the roof to stop the show. I don't know if that should be part of the new Jackson movie, but I'd hate for the footage to be forgotten and discarded.

So here's hoping for a box set with two Blu-Rays and two or three CDs.

longdist01 and hodgo like this.
  5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

So now let's figure out what everyone will get upset about; I know it seems premature, but that's besides the point.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that everyone will be upset about... the mixes ;)

6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

for the extended version....:righton:

longdist01 and lightbulb like this.
  7. Or the limited $500 special deluxe package..... The music, the video the book and extra contact NOT available on all the individual editions. Oh and it will have vinyl versions too that will piss of the CD/digital only folks. :tiphat:

longdist01 and Grunge Master like this.
  8. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I'm upset that they skipped Rubber Soul and Revolver for all these deluxe sets! (earlier stuff too!)

dangiedr likes this.
  9. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I can't believe they will put a DVD or UHD disc in this set.
    IIRC, 16mm film has at least 2k resolution depending on several things I don't understand not being a cameraman.
    Blu-ray should be sufficient. 4k would seem to be overkill\money grab\marketing.
    DVD would be an insult to both video & audio

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Mazzy likes this.
  10. I too think they should stop Inc dvds. Blu ray players are dirt cheap and backwards compatible.

BeatleJWOL and kevintee like this.
  11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Plus hair from Ringo's beard.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

The concert without repeated songs should be the end of the film, at least. I'd still say the "full" minus repeats version would be the big finish necessary.

13. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Believe me, at least one person will bitch if there's not a DVD.
    I can even write the post for them to save time.

"not everyone is rich enough to buy blu-ray"

Mazzy likes this.
  14. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Yeah, don't worry! it will 2025 & 2026 afore yer ken. Then we will be having 60th anniversary celebrations.

15. Save up $5 per month till this set comes out and viola , you can buy a player.

16. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

I also hope they don't use inserted current commentary and talk overs. A commentary extra soundtrack to select from I would enjoy.

Bingo Bongo and musicfan37 like this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Wait - so, this isn't just gonna be another film about dwarves running around in New Zealand, with Ringo dressed as an elf...? :disgust:

'cuz...I'd be up for that too...

Bingo Bongo and marmalade166 like this.
  18. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Anyone know why they picked Peter Jackson for this? Not that it's not a good choice, but why him?

19. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Howard's film was about beatlemania. This is about a 30 day period of them. Other than Paul, Ringo and yoko, who else is there to interview? A bonus retrospective featurette would be nice.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    2141 likes this.
  20. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Terrific news! New edit of the footage should be fun!

21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Sir Peter and Sir Paul?

Now where are those people who said The Beatles weren't that popular anymore and never were that important?

22. BZync

BZync Senior Member

What an odd and unique project Let It Be was. They gave the audio recordings to an outside party in make them releasable. Now they are giving the raw visual footage to another outside party to make it releasable. (Clearly, for the last 30 years, Apple & the Beatles considered it un-releasable).

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. Well thank god it’s not Scorcese. I didn't love what he did for Dylan and Harrison. .

24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

When I saw the thread appear, I wondered how long it would be before someone brought up Whoopi Goldberg. The answer: About an hour and a half.

Grunge Master likes this.
  25. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Maybe they should make a documentary of Peter Jackson making a new documentary of the original documentary. :)