The Beatles on cassette

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clark V Kauffman, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

It's a kinda magic... ;)

OneStepBeyond and Man at C&A like this.
  2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

That one still looks cool as it doesn't just look like a generic clear shell.
    I'm not a fan of clear shells generally, but that one be good!

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Had a few of the US Capital cassettes when I was a kid. I remember that Abbey Road had some songs out of order, which was weird.

Carlox likes this.
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Perhaps you mean Capitol.

5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes Blues! :magoo:

Keith V and paulisdead like this.
  6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

perhaps

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I just noticed that!!! That cover is the gift that keeps on giving!

:D

jmxw likes this.
  8. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

From what I can tell the yellow spine reissues were from around the mid 80's. Most Capitol albums on cassette kept their original format but some were updated to use newer designs.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  9. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I owned the MFSL Revolver Cassette...it was recorded very low. I did not like it.

11. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I wish I hadn't seen this. Now I want to start collecting these.

altaeria, Lewisboogie and paulisdead like this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I remember borrowing all three Anthology volumes on cassette from our local library over two decades ago.
    This was actually one possible introduction to the Fabs for me (the other maybe was the Blue Album I got on vinyl at the same time).
    Those were the days. Anyway, never knew of these longbox cassette packages! Guess they were exclusive in the US only?

13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

It's interesting to see that only four of the albums were released as XDR cassettes in the U.K.

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

15. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here’s the Something New album with a totally rearranged track sequence.

[​IMG]

Texastoyz, Keith V and cwitt1980 like this.
  16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

From a British perspective, all versions of Something New have a totally rearranged track sequence... ;)

17. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Actually all the UK albums were released as XDR cassettes in the late 80's-early 90's. I have a set in my collection. I also own "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" UK's that are not XDR versions, which are clear shells released right before they transitioned to the XDR versions.

Simon A likes this.
  18. Craig Slowinski

Craig Slowinski Forum Resident

I remember my older brother had this cassette, with the alternate title The Beatles Again. I've read that it was issued under that title in France, but I can't imagine his copy being a French import (he had most of the other Beatles albums on cassette, as well). Does anyone know if it was issued that way in the U.S.? This was in the very early '70s. My sister also had the songbook for this album (printed music and lyrics, with a few photos). I believe I still have it somewhere - can't recall if that's titled Hey Jude or The Beatles Again.

altaeria likes this.
  19. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The original title of Hey Jude was planned as The Beatles Again, and early vinyl copies have that title on the disc label. By the time the sleeves were printed, the title had changed to Hey Jude but they didn't waste the existing LPs with the other title. (A few test printings of The Beatles Again sleeve art exist.)
    I thought that only happened with the vinyl LPs, but it looks like early U.S. Apple cassettes were also printed with the dual titles (Hey Jude outside, Again inside).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Beatles - Hey Jude (The Beatles Again)

Discogs also has a listing for the French cassettes from the mid-1970s, which was consistently called The Beatles Again on the outer packaging.
    The Beatles - The Beatles "Again"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I like that the French called the album Again as if they were fed up with the group. :D

21. Craig Slowinski

Craig Slowinski Forum Resident

I was thinking my brother's cassette had The Beatles Again on the outside too, but I may be wrong. Definitely had it on the inside.
    Coincidentally, I just found that old official matching songbook from Apple I mentioned above, without even trying to find it - it's titled "Hey Jude".

22. owsley

owsley Senior Member

We need a new Beatles on open-reel thread :)

The only Fabs cassette I remember needing in the 80's was Yesterday And Today because 'And Your Bird Can Sing' was in true stereo (and different from the UK Revolver stereo lp mix). The reissued rainbow Capitol pressings of Y&T at the time either had it in rechanneled stereo or else it was the accidental mono production master (depending on pressing plant). When the reissued Purple label came out later, again depending on pressing plant, Bird was finally in true stereo or else it was the mono production master, making Y&T late 80's purple label pressing the very last Beatles Capitol vinyl lp ever available in both mono and stereo.

Jon H., The Doga, Texastoyz and 5 others like this.
  23. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Here’s a solo rarity I have. Canadian cassette of Ringo Starr’s ‘Old Wave’ from 1983. According to Chip Madinger’s ‘Eight Arms To Hold You’ the track ‘As Far As We Can Go’ has a longer fade and only found on this cassette.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    altaeria, Texastoyz, jricc and 4 others like this.
  24. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

That's a tougher Ringo cassette to find these days. A lot more scarce than the vinyl. Interesting to know that "AFAWCG" had a longer fade.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  25. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here’s a blue-spine Capitol/Apple HX Pro cassette of “Meet The Beatles.”

[​IMG]