The Beatles on Spotify

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by idreamofpikas, Sep 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident Thread Starter

abzach, Paul P., Diego Lucas and 8 others like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

That would make a pretty nice mix tape!

3. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

50 great songs, there.

Interesting to see what the 'streaming generation' likes most from the Beatles.

Myself, some of these tracks I've heard so many times, I don't listen to them anymore. But the albums in top rotation line up with the usual suspects in contention for best album - Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and Abbey Road. Sounds about right.

FJFP and Greg Gee like this.
  4. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Three Harrisongs in the Top Twelve!

dbone828, ultron9, tug_of_war and 5 others like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Also 1 in the top 10 and 3 in the list of 50, but clearly the number in the top 12 is the relevant stat.

6. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Always looking for ways to help out my old pal George.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    FJFP, WMTC, mikrt17 and 2 others like this.
  7. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

And a cover song at #6! One of their best.

angelees and idreamofpikas like this.
  8. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Kind of surprised to see Love Me Do at number 13. I had no idea it resonated so much with people.

Great to see this list, though!

9. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Anyone who ever thought George's material was a weak link in the band's material would have to reconsider when looking at this list. He's #1, plus a very strong top dozen showing. Not bad at all!

angelees likes this.
  10. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Does the 350 million streams mean “Here Comes The Sun” has netted $2.1 million alone - just on Spotify?

idreamofpikas likes this.
  11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Honestly, it’s probably newbies hearing good things about The Beatles, starting with the 1 compilation as a logical starting point, hearing that first track, and turning it off with the expectation that all their music was that mediocre.

MitchLT, WMTC, Hermes and 3 others like this.
  12. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Good thinking! The only explanation that makes sense.

WMTC and Hermes like this.
  13. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

1969 George to Paul "All down the line, people have liked my songs."

14. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I'm not surprised to see Come Together near the top. It seems that half the bar bands here play it and it always gets people on their feet!

Surprised to see both Love Me Do and I Feel Fine listed - I've always regarded the latter as the great "lost" Beatles hit, as people never seem to mention it.

TimeWarper, mbleicher1 and Drifter like this.
  15. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::: Not surprised at all...my kid's 14 y.o. and everytime I play ''Here Comes The Sun'' he yells, since he was younger: Bee Movie Song!

coffeetime, angelees, imsjry and 2 others like this.
  16. idreamofpikas

I'd say the top 12 vindicates George's position that he should get more songs on albums with 3 of the 12 most popular songs written by George in the last year or so while the top 50 vindicates Paul's position with only those 3 songs in the top 50 by George.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  17. idreamofpikas

More. George's live version has 24 million plays, the LOVE version has almost 5 million, a Nine Simone version with 28 million, Nenay Yakobi 13 million, Richie Havens with 5 million, a Glee version with almost 5 million and a fair few others. The song alone will probably have been played over 450 million times on Spotify, netting George's publishing company a huge amount.

McCool71 and cwitt1980 like this.
  18. davidlg1971

I think there are two very different takeaways:

1. Harrison wrote three of their best songs.

2.. Harrison wrote just three of their top 50 songs - which is 6%. And after you get through those three, there aren't many well-known Harrison Beatles songs - meaning that the percentage would actually decrease if we expanded to the top 100. You might add Taxman, which would bring the percentage down to a measly 4%.

Separating out covers, that means 96% of the Beatles tracks that matter were written by Lennon, McCartney, or the two of them.

19. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I’m really surprised that Tomorrow Never Knows isn’t in the top 50; in many ways it’s the bands most modern-sounding song.

Also surprised that only two songs from Revolver made the top 50, the single: Eleanor Rigby & Yellow Submarine, & don’t get me started on the lack of love for the first two albums.....

20. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Actually, after looking more closely, I see that Beatles For Sale is the least-represented album with only one track: Eight Day’s A Week.

The list does seem to be dominated by the later years, with a good dose of singles from Magical Mystery Tour & Past Masters.

Overall, the top 50 aren’t surprises; just a list of stellar songs.

But just think of all of the incredible songs that didn’t make the top 50. It’s yet another example of what a prolific group they were, & what a high standard of songs & recordings they continually produced.

I’m 44 years old & have loved The Beatles my entire life, yet they still manage to surprise & impress me.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  21. davidlg1971

I'm four years older than you, but otherwise these are my thoughts as well.

Snoddywilko likes this.
  22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I'm a bit surprised to see how low "Strawberry Fields Forever" is placing. Top 25 at least, though I expected it to be higher.

Hermes likes this.
  23. pettyyttep

pettyyttep Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the list but also nice that they've (the streaming generation) found The Beatles.

24. idreamofpikas

The Chemical Brothers overused that sound which probably dates it to the 90's rather than makes it sound like a timeless classic that many of the Beatles songs have got going for it.

FJFP and Snoddywilko like this.
  25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It is always interesting to see what older songs the streaming generation chooses to listen to, since they have no relation to what songs were hits or even singles back in the day (as seen). I think the most important thing today for an old song's popularity is if it has been in movies or series.

That's not it, "Love Me Do" has for some reason sailed up as one of the more popular songs, it has been one of the most common Beatles tracks to hear on the Radio here for some time, I'd say it's perhaps the most commonly played song from the first half of their work here in Sweden.

The first album get lots of love, I'd say disproportionately much, it's the fifth most streamed in the list, ahead of Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and White Album. With The Beatles is another story. Of course one must remember that this doesn't mean the whole albums are streamed this way, it is just a consequence of how certain songs from the albums are streamed. Please Please Me has three songs in the top 50, and two are high in the list and the album gets elevated by them, With The Beatles has only one, towards the end of the 50. The huge lead for Abbey Road is almot all down to the runaway popularity of "Here Comes The Sun".

[​IMG]

Here are some deeper statistics (the data is older, but you get all the songs):

https://chartmasters.org/2018/11/streaming-masters-the-beatles/

https://chartmasters.org/2017/03/cspc-the-beatles-popularity-analysis/

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Hermes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.