DCC Archive The Beatles Reel Music LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

I listened to this LP for the first time since about 1983 the other night. I noticed the tracks sounded "different". I really cannot explain it, but they had a different feel than other releases with the same tracks. Does anyone know if these were remixed for this release? Or, are they alternate 60's mixes? Or, are my ears just playing tricks on me?

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Good question. I have it too and it's not a bad-sounding LP ...

The only thing I do know definitively is that the intro to "I Should Have Known Better" was "repaired" ... on every other previous true-stereo mix of this tune, there was a bit of a "hiccup" in Lennon's harmonica part just before the vocal entry (which was never present in the mono mix).

The "Reel Music" version is "fixed" to remove this hiccup. There may have been some other work done on other tracks, but it's been ages since I put that record on ...

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There was also a 45RPM on yellow vinyl (pretty sure) for that release featuring a medley of Beatles movie tunes.

Yes, a few of those actually are slightly different, but like Pat said, "I Should Have Known Better" was slightly different in intro from the mono to the stereo version (this was the best example of that harmonica difference). It's a fun record, but strange nonetheless. Hollywood And Vine making Hamburger Helper.

4. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

From what I've read some of the earlier tracks were remixed around 1982. The late EMI balance engineer John Barrett had mention of these in his notes.

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think Reel Music was remixed by George Martin as a selling point for it's release/sales. Rock n' Roll Music was re-mixed and I remember Lennon hated it, especially "Revolution" (he thought the balls were taken out of it).

Todd

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Speaking of John Barrett (weren't we? :) ), I actually have a CD that was made from when he was let loose in the mastering studio with some old Beatles tapes. It has "long lost" alternate takes of some songs and he put togeather some stuff, like alternate endings, different fades, etc... (if I remember correctly). A two CD set. Called (I think) the John Barrett Tapes.

Anyone else have this?

8. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I do. There've been tons of permutations of Barrett's cassette dubs put out, the definitive issues being Vig0Tone's and Strawberry's. Some of the stuff is really interesting (and it upgrades stuff earlier foudn only on Arrive Without Aging in sub-par quality) but still, cassette dubs are cassette dubs, unfortunately.

-D

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Did you see my Private Email I sent to you, David?

.... and you too, Chris. Hope this private email stuff works - you should see it in the "my profile" somewhere....????

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: Gary ]

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Eh...to the best of my knowledge, nothing was remixed on the Reel Music set. I Should Have Known Better was (incorrectly) re-edited, but other than that... The only thing I can think of is some tracks were issued in stereo for the first time in the US on that set (I believe). Take a look at Joe Brennan's site sometime.

As for Rock & Roll Music, I don't think the 4-track stuff was touched at all, and the twin-track stuff was "played with" - hard to call it remixed. Channels brought in a bit, bass filtered, etc.

11. Patrick M. Barnes

Patrick M. Barnes New Member

The much maligned(and probably,rightly so - I mean really, how many more times could and can the suits at Capitol Records repackage and resell The Beatles catalog) Reel Music does have it's selling points (1) The first U.S. release of "Walrus" in true stereo with the unedited intro (2) "Hard Day's" and "Ticket to Ride" in true stereo, and(3) the unique stereo version of "I should have known Better" with the harmonica error intro rectified. Oddly enough, the "Movie Medley" (also, much maligned - for it's sped up/slowed down edits) was not included on the album.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
    bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.