The Beatles Remasters: Yellow Submarine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Wong, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Me three.

The question was asked on the main thread and the by way it was kinda mocked at, I figured that they are the same.

2. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Martin's Score

I listened to Martin's score from the new Yellow Submarine and it sounds stunning, what a great conversion IMO!

Incidently on the fold out digipack you have a picture of the sub, do any of you have just the black outline of that Yellow Submarine picture broken up??

4. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

OK, this is crystal clear.
    So the question is: which is the difference between "Only A Northern Song" on YS stereo and the version on Mono Masters? It seems like they used the original mono mixdown in both cases but they sound sure different to my ears. So is the version of YS EQ'd and the version of MM more "flat"?

5. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I didn't want to start a new thread about this: Are there any web sites with info on the recording dates of the George Martin pieces? It seems every site out there only talks about the Beatles songs on YS (unsurprisingly).

6. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

You mean, the black outline isn't a CONTINUOUS line all the way around the submarine?

Yes, that's the case with my digipack too. Rather annoying, now that you've pointed it out.:mad:

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I just found the dates "22-23 October 1968" on Wikipedia. That's the most info I can find.

8. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Tis a bit weird that both the stereo and mono mixes of Hey Bulldog have the backing track fading and then coming back up to full volume near the end. At first I thought they might've used a fold-down by accident but the mix is definitely different so it must be a coincidence.

9. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

It's only a northern song has the pepper brass sound all over it. I understand why it wasn't included on pepper though. ::)

10. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

I'm currently working my way through buying the stereo titles one week at a time (tbh, I just downloaded the mono box). Is this necessary? I'm not interested in the orchestral tracks, and all the other songs are available elsewhere, right?

11. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Well, not really. "Only A Northern Song", "Hey Bulldog", "All Together Now", & "It's All Too Much" were only on this album. If you have the mono box set, then you have the newly released MONO versions of these songs, but if you want them in stereo, then the stereo CD is the only place to get them.

12. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Is that so? Right, then.. looks like I'm picking it up. Thanks! :thumbsup:

13. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

to be correct it is not so... if you want to have really good versions of this four tracks buy the yellow submarine-songtrack-album... these stereo remixes are better (although not really authentic) and you will get some other decent remixes too...

14. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but the YSS is quite hard to find in Australia. And I may as well pick up all of the remasters and not just 13 of 14. Gotta finish what I start!

15. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

IMHO, the team that put the remasters together should have used the stereo remixes made for the Yellow Submarine Songtrack on the YS remaster, and included the three original stereo mixes of "Hey Bulldog", "All Together Now", and "It's All Too Much" as bonus tracks. The precedent for replacing 1960s stereo mixes on these remasters was set the minute they decided to use the 1980s remixes for Help! and Rubber Soul. If they felt okay using 1980s remixes for two whole albums, what's the difference with using 1990s remixes for four songs, ESPECIALLY with the whole "Northern Song" fake stereo/mono substitution they used on this remastered CD. I consider the original stereo mix of "It's All Too Much" to be practically unlistenable, but the 1999 stereo remix is excellent. The 1960s mono mixes of the YS songs are all great.

As much as I love the YS movie, the songs, and George Martin's score, the continued presence of the YS album as a fixture in The Beatles catalog seems odd to me. If this album had been compiled in 1971, it would not be considered "canon" and it would be long gone. I'm surprised that at some point in the last 40 years they didn't delete this album and just treat the four unique YS songs like they treat the four songs from the Long Tall Sally EP and make sure they showed up on a Past Masters compilation. (Exactly as they handled these songs on the Mono Masters CD.) After all, George Martin's score for AHDN has been OOP for years. Were it not for the Capitol CD boxes, the Help! score would still be OOP. If they wanted to make sure George Martin's scores were still available, they could make a Movie Masters CD with the "Movie Medely" single and the previously released scores for AHDN, Help! and YS, AND they could throw in the unreleased score from MMT while they're at it. But, hey -- they didn't ask me! :laugh:

I have to say, if YS hadn't been included in the stereo box set I wouldn't have bothered with this remaster. The YSS disc is a better buy, even if you'd need to order from Amazon in the US or UK in order to get a copy. They nicest thing about the YS stereo remaster is the lovely artwork on the booklet and CD sleeve. The packaging is gorgeous, as it is with all the rest of the remasters. As for SQ, I actually thought the tracks from George Martin's score on the 1987 YS CD sounded just fine.

monkspider likes this.
  16. Maidenpriest

Yellow Submarine as much as people hate it, is a UK official Beatles album and will always remain in print, it is not a compilation compiled after The Beatles split, like MMT! You must remember that Martin's score is also an original composition and there fore if this album was deleted he and his family would no longer earn royalties, this alone will always prevent the album from being deleted IMO! BTW I love it, but would welcome an expanded version, so it has all the songs of soungtrack as well as the score!!

17. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

I do believe I said "if" YS was compiled in the 1970s it would have been deleted by now. The liner notes on the remaster go out of their way to point out that YS was "never intended to be a major album" in the Beatles' catalog. MMT was not compiled after the band split, it was compiled in the 1960s in America and released in November 1967 as an 11-song album and has long since been standardized into the catalog. I agree that Martin's score is lovely and pointed out in my post that much of the movie music he wrote for the Beatles is long-OOP and also suggested that it's a shame and that his scores for ALL of the Beatles movies probably deserve their own compilation CD. :cheers:

18. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

And, my bad -- the Help! score is written by Ken Thorne, not George Martin. And Martin only arranged the score in AHDN, so you're probably right about George Martin's writing of the YS score as being the reason YS is still around as a CD.

19. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

It’s not the same precedent at all. George Martin had nothing to do with the YSS remix.

Dyland likes this.
  20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Magical Mystery Tour (The LP) was released in the US in 1967, four years before the Beatles broke up. It was released the same time in the UK as a double EP.

21. Maidenpriest

Yeah Sorry I didn't explain myself very well, although YS is kinda of a comp, I meant it was release as a 'New' Official Beatles album when the band were together, so that will insure it will always remain in print! Unlike for example 'Hey Jude' which was a compilation done without Beatles involvment (ie they had not asked to record songs for it etc)

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yeah, Yellow Submarine is more compilation-like than the other soundtrack releases; it has a mixture of new and old as well as the orchestral soundtrack material.

Here in the US, the 3 Beatles soundtracks, A Hard Days Night, Help!, and Yellow Submarine all included orchestral "filler".

23. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I've never understood the love for YS Songtrack, sure some of the mixes are better-ish (and nice to have a proper stereo mix of "Northern Song" for the first time...[the Anth. mix is of the song as it stood when it was a Pepper outtake, and lacking the later work done on the song for YS]) but I don't like the sound, it sounds dead to me, sterile I think someone here said in another thread. All my opinion of course. :)
    I'd like to hear this one remastered in a similar way to the new remasters, and with Eleanor Rigby fixed, ain't gonna happen though.

Raving Russell likes this.
  24. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Yes, you are quite right.

FWIW, I've never had issue with any of the songs or performances on YS -- I love the music -- I just look at the album as a product as being a bit of a mess. The song side of the LP was compromised by weak or non-existent stereo mixes and by the exclusion of "Baby You're A Rich Man," the score side is fine. It's hard not to wonder what the band thought about the YS album considering that the original UK liner notes are a long promo for the White Album. At least in the US they had film-specific liner notes.

25. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I found the mono mixes of a couple of these songs on the Mono Masters disc to be somewhat lacking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.