The Beatles Remasters: Yellow Submarine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Wong, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

I agree. :agree:

2. TonyCurrie

TonyCurrie Member

Worth throwing in the fact that YS is the only CD of George Martin orchestral music currently available. He recorded a number of albums as "George Martin and his Orchestra" including several of Beatles' songs, but although a couple were reissued on CD in the mid 90s they're only available for silly money on Amazon. Only a couple of his tracks appear on the "George Martin" boxed set.

I'm mightily surprised that this is the case - "British Maid" on UA was one of his best albums, and yet it's never (AFAIK) been issued on CD. Given his skill and talent as an arranger and conductor (never mind producer!) and his influence on British pop music, how come he's been overlooked in this way?

Dyland likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Stupid reply - never mind!

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Uh,no it isn't.

Evan

5. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Does anyone know where or if I can find a list of the songs and orchestral pieces in the order which they appear in the film? I always thought it would be neat to listen to the album with the band songs and orchestral songs interwoven.

6. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

There you go and it makes a great Cd, everything fits i listen to it all the time!! :righton:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=152953&highlight=

7. I always thought it was John, it sounds like one of his 5 note melodies.
    Not particularly tuneful, all bravado.

8. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

10. jacden

jacden Senior Member

"All Together Now" does indeed appear twice in the movie, right after they've boarded the submarine and again at the very end.

11. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks Jacob!

12. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Listened to this remaster today for the first time and the thing that stood out the most was how much better the orchestral pieces sound this time around... brilliant!

For some strange reason I would've preferred to get the fake stereo of Only A Northern Song since the mono mix is already on Mono Masters, but it sounds loads better than it ever has so I won't complain... one of my all-time favourite Beatles songs!

13. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Has any confirmed that the songs "Yellow Submarine" and "All You Need is Love" are the exact same remasters that are on Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour? I would assume they would be, but the fact is that a number of remastering 'teams' worked on the catalog, and to keep the sound and/or levels consistent thru each album, perhaps these songs were redone for each release...

14. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

IIRC they sound the same but are not digitally identical. I don't think I ever tested if they play in sync but I think it's just because their levels differ slightly.

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Why bother to remaster them twice---time is money!

Evan

16. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Are they the same mixes? IIRC the original was the first time ALYIL was issued in stereo, does the MMT use the same version, or was that one of the remixed 1971 tracks?

17. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

I remember in the 80's I had US MMT and a UK Yellow Sub album (it was OOP in the US at the time)...It seemed the Yellow Sub album mix of AYNIL was wider.

18. slane

slane Forum Resident

AYNIL is identical - it stays in sync - though it has slightly less limiting on YS than on MMT.

YS (the song) does not stay in sync with the 'Revolver' version however. Either they are different transfers of the same stereo mix tape, or possibly the YS version is a tape copy that was used on the original album (though it would be odd for them to remaster from a copy when they have the master). I don't think it's some overlooked alternate mix.

Most of the other 'shared' tracks on the 2009 remasters stay in sync. The two others that don't are 'Love Me Do' & 'PS I Love You' on the mono and stereo PPM albums. Again, they're the same mix (there was only one mix of these songs), but they don't stay in sync. So again, they are either different transfers of the same mono mix tape, or possibly the versions on the stereo album are folds of the mock-stereo versions on the stereo master tape (which would restore to mono without problems). That's unlikely, but I can't think of any other explanation.

LOVE ME DO [single] (Past Masters/Mono Masters) - stays in sync, limiting on PM but none on MM.
    LOVE ME DO [album] (Please Please Me mono/stereo) - doesn't stay in sync, EQ noticeably different.
    PS I LOVE YOU (Please Please Me mono/stereo) - doesn't stay in sync, EQ noticeably different.
    SHE LOVES YOU (Past Masters/Mono Masters) - probably the same basic transfer, but drifts by a few samples, probably due to tidying up the edits on PM. Slight difference in EQ and limiting.
    I'LL GET YOU (Past Masters/Mono Masters) - stays in sync, limiting on PM but none on MM.
    YELLOW SUBMARINE (Revolver stereo/Yellow Submarine) - doesn't stay in sync, different transfer?
    ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE (MMT stereo/Yellow Submarine) - stays in sync, less limiting on YS.
    ONLY A NORTHERN SONG (Yellow Submarine/Mono Masters) - stays in sync, no limiting on MM.
    YOU KNOW MY NAME (Past Masters/Mono Masters) - stays in sync, no limiting on either.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  19. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Good to get an answer five years after my question...

Skywheel and slane like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

We don't rush out stuff like that Lewisohn fellow. Instead, we like to do the proper research and give you actual facts.

;)

Dyland, sonnyrock, BZync and 3 others like this.
  21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Haven't read the whole thread...don't even know if I've posted in it...

but...

Oh frick....never mind...brainfart. o_O

Skywheel likes this.
  22. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

You like the smell ? PuuuuWeeeee !!!!

I was about to write, actually I'd already finished about the Yellow Submarine EP from England back in the day....but I forgot it was Magical Mystery Tour that had the EP set !!!!!!!!!!!

My bad....terribly. And I'd written out all my details before the gas attack !!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.