The Beatles - Revolver - 2022 Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deacon Blues, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Beatle Ed 2021

Beatle Ed 2021 Forum Resident

Because pairing those two songs is something other people wouldn't necessarily do (I've certainly never seen them put in the same category before). You choose to see some kind of common ground between them. I don't. As far as the Beatles catalogue is concerned as a whole, it runs the gamut of all sorts of emotions: positive, negative and everything else in between. I certainly don't see "all the rest" as being of a kind excepting those two numbers! It's an odd selective way of seeing their music.

2. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

I agree with you, but I did not intend to suggest the two singles tracks would, could or should fit in the LP, but only that they were of a piece in sound.

3. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

The two songs have no meaningful relationship to each other in regard to theme, mood, or attitude. As you say, like chalk and cheese.

4. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Pet sounds is a masterpiece. Top 10 all time.

It’s certainly a cerebral listen. It’s not LZ II.

5. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

Yeah, really...when we were listening to this great LP upon release in the day, or any of them for that matter, no one I knew showed any concern about the track order, or took offense to the lyrical message. It was all about the music, and for the record, I like the song, as I do, You Can't Do That, and Under My Thumb and Stupid Girl by the Stones, etc.,etc...
    Whether right or wrong , we simply listened and enjoyed the music. By todays reactive standards, I would have to clear out much of my library of books, movies, and music...not bloodly likely.

zipp, Past Masters, Gavaxeman and 5 others like this.
  6. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

I love Run For Your Life musically and John sings it effortlessly. I'm sure most fans know that it is lyrically based on the song "Baby Let's Play House" (Elvis' version) which had the line " I'd rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man".

7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Indeed. The Beatles and George Martin were brilliant, but that doesn't mean that every single judgment they made was infallible. Shockingly, they were human.

8. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I guess I’m not that cerebral. I’ve tried like hell to appreciate that album and every time come away with the feeling that too much of the instrumentation is thrown in at the whim of a very inconsistent genius. Some of it works, much of it doesn’t, or just isn’t needed.

9. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

My own opinion is that completely removing "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" from Beatles for Sale also provides a more enjoyable playing order.

"Rock and Roll Music" not being on Beatles for Sale: I also like that.

10. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

:laugh:

cwitt1980 and Michael Macrone like this.
  11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

God, how painfully silly. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer is a little bit of macabre surrealist humour - it’s like saying Mean Mr. Mustard (‘such a dirty old man’) is negative - it’s just a bit of fun. Run For Your Life - well, it’s inspiration and lineage is well covered. Lyricists tell stories.
    Fiction.

theMess, 905, Freddie Barry and 7 others like this.
  12. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

Given that Beatlemania period 1964-65 the lads were extremely busy and wouldn't have had enough time to write more original material for BFS and Help!

So they delved into favourites from other artists. They could have got George to do Red Hot or Crying Waiting Hoping for BFS but he chose a favourite Carl Perkins song. I believe Carl visited them in the studio during the recording of BFS.

John recorded a few Larry Williams songs including Slow Down and Bad Boy. He also recorded Boney Maronie on his Rock 'n Roll album. He had sung Dizzy Miss Lizzy on one of their BBC radio sessions as well. They could have chosen to use Leave My Kitten Alone left over from the BFS sessions which would have been a rollicking ending to the Help! album.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  13. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Given the number of times they attempted “Sure to Fall” on their BBC shows, I’d be shocked if that wasn’t in contention for the album as well. Not sure how that would have fit on the album, it’s a bit C&W to be sure.

theMess and jpgrbtalls like this.
  14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think it's due to them still seeing themselves as having a live act mentality. You don't close a show with some introspective song. You rock and say goodnight. It dates back to the very first record with "Twist and Shout." I'm surprised they didn't end A Hard Day's Night with "When I Get Home."

15. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"When I Get Home" rocks hard, but it's not really that much fun. Or not simple fun, anyway. Of course, neither is "I'll Be Back," but its retrospective tone and prospective title make it a far better album-closer.

16. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Ok I’ll bite..
    Don’t Bother Me
    You Can’t Do That
    Yer Blues
    Rocky Raccoon ( he died)
    Taxman

Past Masters likes this.
  17. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

When I get Home always gets short shift on this forum. It’s a great song that’s is great fun!

18. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

In an interview I watched Giles Martin mentioned that he needed to use the demix technology otherwise a song like Taxman would just be a remix in mono. Would that be so bad though? If he did make a new mono mix it would sound amazing because it would have much more clarity than the original mono mix surely? I imagine it would have a sound similar to the outtakes. Thoughts?

Dan The Man1, BostonBob and Gila like this.
  19. darealhighmay

darealhighmay Forum Resident

Finally someone speaking sense lmao
    The run of Beatles For Sale through Rubber Soul have always had weak endings in my opinion. BFS should always ended with I Don't Want to Spoil the Party. Great ending to the sad boy tales John and Paul sing throughout the album.
    Another aspect that's very personal and hard to explain is the tone shift, let's say. Going from these quieter, more introspective songs, to a "alright let's have some fun before we go, let's do a ROCKER" always bothered me. I prefer sitting in that melancholy space a bit longer after the album ends than going into another "fun" song. Nothing wrong with these albums ending quietly, it fits perfectly fine!

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  20. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Bought the Revolver Deluxe Vinyl Box this morning on the UDiscover website for $140. Took advantage of their Black Friday sale

Duophonic and Mister Charlie like this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Rocky revived, he didn't die.

Past Masters, theMess, 905 and 4 others like this.
  22. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

I’m So Tired
    Yer Blues

Past Masters likes this.
  23. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Rocky doesn't die...where did you come up with that?

905 likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

That's simply your opinion. Mine is that Pet Sounds is horribly twee. LZ II is fabulous.

25. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

Let's also get rid of Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey