The Beatles - Revolver - 2022 Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deacon Blues, Aug 19, 2019.

1. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

So you're saying Howlett is definitely wrong here?

In which case ...

2. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

Would you have a comparison of this Stereo Re-mix it relative to the Abbey Road Re-mix done a few years ago?

I have that re-mix and, although interesting, is not my favourite

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That’s a hard comparison to make because they are such different sounding albums to begin with. The best I can say is that with the exception of She Said She Said which is probably the most radical and controversial of the remixed songs, it’s closer in approach to Abbey Road than say, to the remix of Pepper which is radically different from the original. By “approach” I mean that for the most part, the integrity of the original stereo mix is pretty well kept intact (in my opinion). Of course there will always be people that will be unhappy with the placement of certain instruments in the stereo “picture”. For me, it’s more about improvement of clarity and low end to form a more pleasingly effective overall sound. I can say to you that I think Giles succeeds here but it’s really your call.

4. bonsaipark

bonsaipark Turn me on, Redmond

My own two bits, for what's it's worth (and everybody knows how much that is these days)... I've always heard the response as "She does feel good", or something like that.

Dan The Man1 and zipp like this.
  5. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

I have always only ever heard John simply repeat Paul. It’s clear as day.

6. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

definitely wrong

7. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Question, and if this thread is the wrong place for it please feel free to re-route: I don't have any of the Beatles Super Deluxe editions, but I am interested in buying some of the individual tracks (outtakes) and making a 1 or 2 CD mix. I'm mainly looking for the fully or mostly finished outtakes, not the more ephemeral things that I know are on some of these reissues (instrumental backing tracks, alternate mixes, raw versions of the masters without overdubs, etc.). Has anyone else taken on a project like this, and/or have any recommendations for what such a collection might look like?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. Really, it might have been a hit.

9. I'll say. That lead guitar riff in Lizzy makes my teeth hurt.

WillieDaPimp, Schmevil and Colocally like this.
  10. They didn't grab my cash, I handed it over willingly. Money well spent, IMO.

11. BostonBob

BostonBob Paperback Writer

There are more than two CDs worth of good outtakes on the SDE's released so far if you were to burn them in standard format.

12. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I agree. My comment was aimed at those that constantly post ad nauseum those 2 opinions.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Here's what I can find on the SDEs in terms of complete tracks that are not the same take as the final masters. I also left off alternate takes that are very similar to the final versions, otherwise the list would be a lot longer:
    REVOLVER
    Tomorrow Never Knows (take 1)
    And Your Bird Can Sing (two takes)
    SGT. PEPPER
    Strawberry Fields Forever (take 1)
    WHITE ALBUM
    Good Night (take 10)
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (take 3) (a more polished version of the same take appears on Anthology 3 but this is complete enough to stand on its own)
    Helter Skelter (take 2)
    Hey Jude (take 1)
    Not Guilty
    Los Paranoias (a loose jam but song-length, with some semblance of structure)
    ABBEY ROAD
    Goodbye (demo)
    Something (demo)
    Come and Get It (demo) (while these are demos rather than dedicated recordings, they represent serious efforts and hold their own as recordings)
    LET IT BE
    Can You Dig It? (kind of a loose jam, but song-length. Most of the Let It Be material consists of inferior or incomplete clones of the album takes.)
    I Me Mine (Twickenham rehearsal, but it's a complete performance)

14. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Awesome, thank you!

15. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

You're welcome! Not a very long list, I know, but a lot of the tracks I really love on the SDE sets are rough or alternate mixes, and even some of the more amusing breakdowns.
    I struggled with "Got To Get You Into My Life," because there's one complete performance that's clearly unfinished - it's Paul holding down an organ note, plus drums and acoustic guitar; it's obvious that they planned to put a lot more on the track. (Sometimes you can hear Paul mumble-humming planned overdubs.) The "unnumbered mix" of the same song is strikingly different from the master and works as a finished recording, but I can't tell if it's built on the same bones as the master take. Certainly the guitar parts are not on the master, and the vocal take is not the same as the final released version, but there could be elements of the final recording in there. I know it'd go on my compilation.

NumberEight and Lewisboogie like this.
  16. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

It is. The bass and drums are intact on the finished master, and if you listen carefully, you can hear remnants of those guitars on the drum mics. Easiest to hear on the 1966 stereo mix, I’d say.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Listening to all four mono pressings this evening and I have to agree with others that the new EU 2022 does in fact beat the 2014. The latter is still a great mastering but the new version is very similar indeed to the original pressings and is so much more revealing.

18. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I could not find the Atmos mix of Revolver on Apple Music this evening. Has it been removed?

marklamb likes this.
  19. Schmevil

Schmevil Average Beatles Enjoyer

The guitar EQ on DML is so odd. I mean surely having it sound like that would make the original LPs sound distorted and more worn than it actually was? It sure sounds awful on my worn-down copy of Beatles VI (As does the guitar break in Words of Love). Great R&R performance though.

20. Schmevil

Schmevil Average Beatles Enjoyer

Just checked, it looks like it has been removed from the SDE but not the one labeled (2022 Mix).

RonBaker likes this.
  21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Both still Atmos when I checked.

RonBaker likes this.
  22. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Played the full record last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent remix and sonics!! The bass on TNK is freaking awesome! Clear and powerful.

23. Ballynally

Ballynally Forum Resident

I always thought the fade out of Dr Robert was odd as you can clearly hear a proper ending just before it completely fades out. The fade out is very unnatural. But, now we have the ending with an early version on cd 2 with the full ending. Then John comes in abruptly with some words. Well, i managed to cut off those words with a quick slope out retaining the end that starts with the loud DR ROBERT. I already made a mono+ version of dr Robert so added a fade in of the last section of the early version after EQing a mono+ mix to match the final version. Might upload a snippit to the cloud and link it is anybodybis interested..

BeatlesObsessive and Gila like this.
  24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Was just about to say that John clearly just repeats Pauls line.

Dan The Man1 and zipp like this.
  25. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

It’s three syllables not four.