The Beatles - Revolver - 2022 Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deacon Blues, Aug 19, 2019.

1. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I'll ask you 2 of the same questions I asked viper66. Single or SDE vinyl and CZ or Canadian press.

2. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Not to be cynical but lack of interesting unused outtakes might be one reason why there was switch to a vinyl focus.

3. paolo

paolo Senior Member

Dude, it is vinyl, a physical medium. How bad is the warp? Does it create mistracking or is it an edge warp?

The only way to avoid issues inherent in vinyl is to go cassette or digital. Way back when, minor warps and marks were just part of the evil bargain. If you want perfection every time perhaps vinyl isn’t for you.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Oh I think it cheapens it, but probably not in the sense you mean. Think there are still some bugs to it and there most likely needs to be some learning curve time. Maybe by the time Rubber Soul rolls around they will finally get it right. That is the only Beatles album I feel truly needs to be properly remixed as far as stereo.

SunSon and Keith V like this.
  5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Absolutely not.

And you couldn’t have more caring curators at the helm.

Also, remixing Beatle tracks goes back to the Rockband era. It’s always fun to hear a different take on these wonderful songs. And if you are looking forward to doing your own mixes, doesn’t that negate your first point??

6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I didn’t say anything about remixing cheapening anything. I was talking about the magic process where things that were stuck on one track are able to somehow be separated. It makes it an “anything goes” game now. Plus I’m concerned as to how it may compromise the sound. I’ll still buy the 2 cd sets. They better make a Magical Mystery Tour too :D

DK Pete likes this.
  7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It’s not magic though. Demixing has existed for a few years now. Eric records has several releases. Heck, you can do it for free with online sites.

But, Giles wanted the tech to improve before using it on a Beatles recording. Peter Jackson’s team took it to a whole ‘ other level on Get Back. There is video of Giles playing the individual tracks, and it sounds amazing.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I wonder if they’ll go back and do Pepper thru Let it Be again. Maybe even without Giles.

Dan The Man1, DK Pete and boggs like this.
  9. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Ouch! You didn't mention 8-tracks.

paolo likes this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Overall, with some nitpicks here and there, I like the work he’s been doing on these albums. But I have to make an exception with Pepper; while it’s a “fun” alternate mix for what it is, I wouldn’t mind another stab which emulates more so what Peter Cobbin did with those particular songs on Yellow Submarine Songtrack.

11. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Yeah I'm wondering if Rubber Soul might just be:

LP1 - 2023 Remix
    LP2 - 1965 Mono Mix
    LP3 - Sessions outtakes
    7" - Daytripper/We Can Work it Out

everclear, ODIrony, Gila and 3 others like this.
  12. 905

905 Senior Member

I could see them stretching out 60-70 minutes of sessions with the help of Anthology tracks onto two LPs and two CDs, so they can charge more. ;)

13. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I've been listening to the mono part of the CD set today. Paperback Writer/Rain... they sound too compressed and bloated. I compared to the other CD versions I own, and for Paperback Writer I though the 1992 CD single was the best, followed by Mono Masters, which it's not bad, but the fuzz guitar is more powerful on the single. For Rain, my favourite was the one in Mono Masters, followed by the CD single.

However, the mono album has been well mastered. I compared with the 09 CD and thought they were very similar, I didn't think one beat the other.

14. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

Sorry to break the bad news, But My friend just scored a single copy of the Revolver 2022 remix yesterday from a local record store, Which is a Canadian pressing.
    It is badly pressed off center on side 1. No replacement available to exchange, So the dealer has to reorder it for him. Guess it's damned if you do & Don't with this title, No matter who presses it.:cry:

DK Pete likes this.
  15. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Makes sense it can happen with any pressing, but CZ seems to have had major problems with this and others. Even though it's not perfect, I've decided to keep my slightly warped CZ copy since it plays ok and sounds much better than the previous copies.

16. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

YELLOW SUBMARINE: Both of us. Paul wrote the catchy chorus. I helped with the blunderbuss bit.

I've always seen this as a strong 50/50 partnership. We had Donovan's help here, too.

17. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

IDK if it's been mentioned up-thread (ran a search and came up with nothing), but the mono version of the LP on Amazon Music Premium, using an Iphone 12, and with non-Apple IEM, is not fully mono.

Only the following tracks are mono:
    Love You To
    She Said She Said
    I Want to Tell You
    Got To Get You Into My Life
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    Paperback Writer

One can see on the display that the other tracks will indicate "Dolby ATMOS", but the main title will say something like "Taxman (Mono)".
    The true mono tracks indicate "Ultra HD".

Strange oversight...or???

Anyone else catch this?

18. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I wonder why they couldn't manage to get this full demo for the box set. I can't recall exactly the time this tape showed up, but if memory serves it went up for auction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2TNsvcnZI

swedwards1960 likes this.
  19. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

I usually love the demos such more than the outtakes.

With demos, I get the feeling like I'm hanging out with them in their bedroom, and they are only playing for me. :)

And Lennon has the best demos. What that man could do with just a guitar and voice, its almost spooky.

20. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I'm just the opposite. To me, demos rarely provide any profound insight into a song's creation and are usually of subpar sonic quality. The biggest exception I can think of is the demo for Yellow Submarine. That one was eye opening . Otherwise, I'd prefer stripped down mixes of the final song over demos.

DK Pete likes this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Demos don’t thrill me too much either even though as someone who used to dabble in songwriting, I know they should. What excites me most is actual studio working versions of songs.

22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Best wishes for your speedy recovery Allen! In a strange coincidence, I myself had a "life event" just before the Revolver box was released -- I had a massive stroke that nearly killed me on October 26. By some miracle, everything that had to go right went right, and I was able to get life-saving treatment immediately, and woke up that night in the ICU able to speak and move again. I spent five days in the hospital, during which I asked my wife to look out for my Revolver box and bring me the book. I was sent home on November 1st, and didn't need any physical or speech therapy. Truly lucky. I kid you not, when I dropped from the stroke (I was at the gym), the song playing on my iPod was "Tomorrow Never Knows." Spooky stuff. So after I got home and recovered for awhile and got through the holidays, I dug up an old drawing I had done as a teenager in the 1980s, scanned it in pieces, reassembled it, and cleaned it up, fixing a couple of things I was never happy with. It was inspired by the Revolver cover so please, if you'll indulge me, I'll share it here:

[​IMG]

And now I'll go back and try to catch up on this thread. When I re-joined it yesterday, I was still on October 25! The day before I turned off my mind and floated downstream for a few hours. I really love the box, and sure, I wish this or that was on there, but it's massively "listenable" and I'm still digging it nearly three months later. Love the remix too.

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great cover!!!! Wishing you and @Allen Michael the very best.

Allen Michael, ggjjr, Smiler and 4 others like this.
  24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Adding to the wishes for a continued speedy recovery and relief at an outcome that could have gone very differently. The (very well-done!) drawing reminds me of a piece of decoration at my alma mater's campus radio station. The wall near the desk was covered with graffiti on sticky notes. One of the notes was a miniature attempt at the Revolver cover, accompanied by a second note with the inscription "F**k the Beatles this was hard to draw and it still looks bad."

I could simmer in disappointment at what I wish was there, but it's a lot more fun to appreciate what is there. I've really enjoyed the Revolver set.

Sean Murdock, DK Pete and ronbow like this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed. Every box set (from any artist) will be missing things pointed out by one fan or another and another. Time to start being thankful for whatever we get.