The Beatles' "Rubber Soul" - Putting together the proper tracklist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I would like to see the EMI sales numbers worldwide for all countries on all the albums. They would be the one to have them, unless they destroyed them when the Beatles brought an audit. Maybe they have them in some dusty back room file cabinet. Hopefully Mark Lewisohn will stumble upon them one day and add them all up.

2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Where's that from?

Here's some more info:

'Billboard reported that the group had topped themselves by selling 1,200,000 copies of the album in its first nine days. The RIAA certified sales of over four million copies for the Capitol version of the album.'

50 Years Ago: A Rubber Soul Christmas to Remember | beatle.net

3. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

The Platinum and multi platinum was with the UK version (CD release)

4. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

The official RIAA website.

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Released 4/30/87, in UK configuration worldwide, and all production of truncated US version ceases. Better adjust your sales figures.

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

That's just when it was certified, not the dates of the actual sales. Notice that it jumps from 1x Platinum to 4x Platinum on December 26, 1991. Must have been people spending all that Christmas money on one fell swoop. :)

Hermes likes this.
  7. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

If albums sales were always due to the albums quality, that would be known...
    This whole albums sales debate is absolutely useless and off topic.

8. MPLRecords

The RIAA accounts for all US sales, including the UK configuration being sold in the US. They're not my figures, but they're figures that refute the idiotic claim the album sold six million prior to 1987.

9. MPLRecords

I already provided the RIAA figures. You couldn't answer the simple question "Where do you get six million from 65-87 from?" because you didn't get it anywhere. It's false.

10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I will need your birthdate for the base.

goodiesguy and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I guess the RIAA must have been pretty slow in updating their certifications. Here's the entry for Sgt. Pepper. Didn't go platinum until 1992, and jumps to 8x platinum in the same day. Interns...

Hermes and schnitzerphilip like this.
  12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Here's RIAA's Meet The Beatles...

[​IMG]

Uh, oh... Doesn't go Platinum until 1991, and then sells 4.5 million in one day. That's a lot of Meet The Beatles CDs sold in one day.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  13. MPLRecords

Your point being....? I'm disputing the false notion that it sold six million prior to 1987. The RIAA failing to update until 1991 for a lot of these makes no difference, as Rubber Soul doesn't get the six million cert until 1997.

14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Beatles For Sale, literally, in the US, as of 2001:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    schnitzerphilip likes this.
  15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Others claimed it didn't go Platinum until 1991. That's all.

RIAA had it at 4 million for the Capitol, according to Spizer. The 2 million after that are the 1987 CDs.

Hermes likes this.
  16. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Incorrect.

17. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Ok maybe a part of both versions (RIAA is very late to update the certifications)

18. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I think you're spying for France.

a customer likes this.
  19. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Not just that. 4 tracks were also cut. It was a streamlined cultural torpedo.

notesfrom likes this.
  20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Because ' I've Just Seen A Face ' and ' It's Only Love ' were on the U.S. ' Rubber Soull', i' ve spent over an hour of my life reading this thread.
    God, I need a life. And it appears I'm not the only one.

21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

How could the number of copies sold, and the countries in which they were sold, not be a metric for the influence of a record?

Milestone is ok for the UK RS. I agree. But the US RS was much bigger than that.

I'm not denigrating the rock groups of Spain, but just pointing out that most world successful groups are from around 2 or three nations, and one of them iss mostly beegees and AC/DC. The others (10% ?) can be put in the miscellaneous category.

Hermes likes this.
  22. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Sometimes it's what you leave out, sometimes it's what you put in, and sometimes it's both.

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

So, how many more were influenced by In the Tyrol and all of that other groovy background music that only appeared on the US Help? Billions, I'll bet.

24. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Hell, look at the US Revolver. Genius!

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  25. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

You'd be surprised. I'm going to listen to in the tyrol for the first time in 40 years or so tonight. I bet it will bring back more memories than the original fabs tunes. Sometimes the memories get caught in the weird places.

Ok I get it. But who here was calling Help the new age beatles breakthrough/masterpiece?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.