THE BEATLES "Rubber Soul" Stereo Mix: Why the Return to Hard-Pan L&R?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SixtiesGuy, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love Thread Starter

After decades of listening to stereo versions of The Beatles' albums, this only recently occurred to me: the stereo mixes of Please Please Me (entirely) and With The Beatles (for the most part) are in the much-derided "hard pan" or "ping-pong" left and right style. A Hard Day's Night, Beatles For Sale and Help!were mixed in the more modern convention of the "image" spread between the two channels. Why, then, when it came to Rubber Soul, did the mix revert (regress?) to left-right with little or nothing in between? Were George Martin and Norman Smith so pressed for time when it came to mixing Rubber Soul for stereo that they just did a quick and dirty version to get it out for the Christmas sales rush? Did Norman Smith, who left his role as The Beatles' engineer after Rubber Soul just not particularly trying too hard by that point? Was there some other reason? It's interesting that George's 1987 remix for CD wasn't all that much different than the 1965 mix. I've read a lot of material in my time about recording the Fabs but have never run across a mention of this.

Bern, BIG ED and ParloFax like this.
  2. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Try doing a Rubber Soul thread search. You'll find loads of info on this topic. Better yet, screw it & just listen to the much better MONO version. ;)

john lennonist likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

If I have a minute I'll type it out again for you. Or, do a search here. This is well documented.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The "why" behind the original mixing decision is well-documented, the "why" behind George Martin repeating it largely for the 1987 remix is less-so.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I wouldn't say that. He was interviewed around that time and said that his intention was to remix not to change things, but just to make the sound clearer, or words to that effect. Thus, all the panning is the same as it ever was. No changes, just increased clarity -- or at least, that was the stated goal.

Matt

6. Steve Hoffman

mono stereo compatibility scare around that time. all abbey road stereo was mixed like that at that time. the concern was the mix change if mono playback was utilized on stereo record. their answer was to leave nothing in center of image so mix levels would remain the same. a really sh**ty way to do it. set back stereo mixing to the dark ages at emi for a while.

you see the irony, right? george martin demanded that the early beatles cd's be made in mono due to the left/right mixing with nothing in the middle. then he goes and remixes rubber sound exactly the same way, except worse than the original due to the crap digital reverberation and piercing treble boost. bogus, dude.

sent from iPud.

7. deville

deville Forum Resident

His hearing must have already been failing him then, because the top end on the '87 mix is just painful.

McLover likes this.
  8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Typo or Freudian slip? :D

9. Steve Hoffman

my 3 year old calls it that. i concur.

Chrome_Head, McLover and gregorya like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

I call it the Ice Pick EQ.

Did you all understand what I wrote above about why they decided to eliminate the center channel in their pop mixes around that time? I wasn't being very clear. If you need more info I'll be happy to oblige. Don't be shy.

McLover likes this.
  11. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Do you mean the alternative was just more mixing effort to ensure that a stereo LP played in mono would match the mix levels of the regular mono mix?

Was this an actual, observed problem with the stereo AHDN and BFS LPs? Or just irrational paranoia?

12. Steve Hoffman

When you play a stereo song that has music on the left, on the right and in the center, the left and right drop 3 db when the channels are combined to mono. This leaves the center channel too loud. In other words, if you have music left and right and singing in the middle, the singing stays at the same level but the music drops, ruining the stereo mix. That is why there needs to be a dedicated mono mix instead of just making everything a fold-down from stereo.

Around 1965 for some reason, the EMI UK executives felt or were told that mono albums were not going to be made any more so people with mono phonographs would be playing stereo records in mono ruining the precise sound of the mixes.

EMI's answer was to just remove anything coming from the center of the stereo image on rock music so the stereo records would fold to mono properly on a mono playback machine.

It only lasted about a year and a half at EMI but what a dreadful idea even though as a boy I loved the ability to turn on and off the vocals on RUBBER SOUL by moving the balance knob. Not so much anymore though....;)

Sir George Martin told me that by the time of REVOLVER the craze was over at Abbey Road for his productions.

13. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

Not all EMI stereo from that period was mixed that way....Cliff Richard material, produced by Norrie Paramor, has centred vocals, as does most of the more "easy listening" stuff like Matt Monro, Cilla Black and the like. Ron Richards, on the other hand, retained the "no centre" mixing style for the bulk of the Hollies tracks until 1967.

McLover likes this.
  14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

So does this make the Yellow & Black UK Parlaphone a bad version to listen to?:confused:

15. Steve Hoffman

Why? These are mix variations not cutting variations.

crispi likes this.
  16. SixtiesGuy

Well, I wasn't shy with my original post, but got the feeling I was being admonished for not looking it up for my damn self. Next time I promise will do my homework before posting anything.

BeatleBruceMayer likes this.
  17. deville

deville Forum Resident

Oh good, then it isn't just me. I don't have a nice rig or anything, so I can't comment any further on the sound quality, but I can only imagine it sounding even worse on a more revealing system.

18. SixtiesGuy

Maybe I'm fortunate enough to have the same hearing loss as Sir George, because the eq on the '87 CD doesn't bother me at all. The added reverb on some tracks (see Nowhere Man), on the other hand, I could have done without... But, with all sincerity, considering the decisions, contributions and recommendations Sir George made to the Beatles' canon, their music, and music production itself, would be very different without him. He IS the Fifth Beatle. Long Live Sir George!

19. Steve Hoffman

Much worse, yes. That 8k boost is deadly. It masks the more natural sound of this organic album dreadfully. The original analogue stereo mix is much better. The original analogue mono mix is much better than better if you crank it.

2141 and vonwegen like this.
  20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Bogus because the mix didn't need recreating? Because the original '65 stereo mix that was finally put out on cd in the Mono Box sounds fine? Because the original Abbey Road echo chamber reverb sounds infinitely better than circa 1986 digital reverb?

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Sorry, I left out stereo for this version lp. Meant to put that in there as I was multi-tasking (cleaning, listening to music, forum).

My question may be a dumb one, not sure.

22. deville

deville Forum Resident

I know I've said this in a few threads, but I feel like John's vocals suffered most, especially the sibilance. John's 'esses and tees'. Didn't seem to hurt the others' vocals near as much as John's.
    But I think it may have been more of a mastering thing, because I hear the same ugliness on Revolver and Pepper too. And again, it's always John's vocals.
    Listen to 87 Mr. Kite.
    For the benefit of misssssta kite
    The sssselebrated misssssta K performsss hissss feat on sssaturday at Bishhhop'sss gate....
    Ugh!

23. I'm probably in the minority here on this Forum, but I happen to like the original stereo mix. Different strokers for different folks, as they say.

If you haven't heard the original stereo mix before, don't run out and buy a mint, super-expensive stereo Y&B... try a EMI two-box edition, those can usually be found for around $20.

McLover likes this.
  24. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The only Rubber Soul I had was the stereo UK LP (never had the US until later). I thought it was an incredible listen. When the 87 CD arrived and I played it for the first time, I was so disappointed at the remix that I never listened to that CD again in its entirety. It just did not sound right, or better.

25. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Well, here's hoping they do a proper stereo remix some time before I die.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.