The Beatles: Single By Single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bailes, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great point about P.S. I Love You; it definitely has that Like Dreamers Do/Love Of The Loved air about it. Thankfully Paul doesn't use his pseudo-Ricky Ricardo Bravado vocal style on it which he did a lot in the pre-Parlophone days (and sounded very put-on and ridiculous).

2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Yeah what a terrible history. :yikes:

FJFP likes this.
  3. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

The curse of LP versions of Past & Mono Masters along with the German version of She Loves You. Only because we just heard them in English.

William Smart likes this.
  4. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

EMI subsidiary Capitol Records was offered The Beatles on at least one occasion and were turned down. That's when Vee-Jay, Tollie, and other smaller labels stepped in to release Beatles product in the U.S.. Once Capitol saw the error of their ways, they seized control and started releasing their singles.

William Smart and pablo fanques like this.
  6. Samantha Wolf

Samantha Wolf I bite when angry...

A lovely song...always liked it

7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

vee jay

8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Americans... :rolleyes:

:D

William Smart, goodiesguy and AFOS like this.
  9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Love Me Do
    Silly song, as everybody knows. Can't see what George Martin saw (or heard) on it.
    Anyway it's nice as a starting point. I always use Love Me Do as a reference to (sort of) measure the band's progress.

Have to admit I like the tambourine version (sorry, Ringo). The tambourine adds to the rustic feel of the song, it forms a nice (extra) texture wih the sound of the acoustic guitar.

That's one of the things I admire the most on The Beatles. Even if the song itself is nothing to write home about, there's always something on the arrangement that catches my ear.

And the b-side, P.S. Love Me Do, is a much superior song.

Carl LaFong, Lostchord and a customer like this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The master tapes were destroyed. Not all the singles.

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I assume you don't mean they invented that cadence. Chromatic alterations like that are prevalent in classical music.
    You probably did not mean they invented it but they did invent just about everything else. Just kidding. Anyway, interesting video and they used that cadence to the fullest extent in other songs.

12. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Love Me Do is distinguished by the harmonica. It is good for 1962, but all the other Beatles singles are stronger.
    P.S. I Love You is Paul's first attempt to write a "standard". It is OK, but he would do much better in the future.

William Smart and blutiga like this.
  13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Is this the only single where Paul is the primary writer for both sides?

14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yellow Submarine/ Eleanor Rigby.

15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I think Nik posted somewhere that John was the main writer of Yellow Submarine - the verses anyway.

16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It's the kind of slick pop tune Larry Parnes would have had them record.

The band would soon learn how to combine the best aspects of both songs into their own sound.

17. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

"'Yellow Submarine' is Paul's baby. Donovan helped with the lyrics. I helped with the lyrics too. We virtually made the track come alive in the studio, but based on Paul's inspiration. Paul's idea. Paul's title ... written for Ringo." - John, 1980 (Beatles Songwriting & Recording Database: Yellow Submarine )

18. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Early Beatles music is as overrated as Sgt. Pepper & Abbey Road & Stones / Satisfaction have always been...

IMO the band didn't really hit their stride until AHDN

19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

That's what I always thought. Anyway both were Paul's initial idea but were true group (+ Donovan) co-writes - George for example came up with "ah look at all the lonely people"

20. John54

John54 Senior Member

I can't find anything not to like a lot about PS I Love You

21. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Is that a remix combining the two? ;):winkgrin:

tug_of_war likes this.
  22. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

The way I look at it, it ain't a contest - you don't have to prefer one side over the other. And hey, depending on one's mood, you might prefer one side one day and the other side another day. Let's face it, if the song had been a stone stiff, that might have been it for the group. Luckily, it wasn't!

I just want to make sure that some (younger?) folks understand something. "Love Me Do" was not released in the US in 1962. Dave Dexter Jr. passed on it. (It's said that he didn't like songs with harmonicas. I don't know for sure, but that's the story I heard from Bruce Spizer at The Fest For Beatle Fans in Vegas a few years ago.)

Capitol also passed on "Please Please Me" (harmonica). When that happened, EMI entered into a 5-year contract with Vee-Jay to release The Beatles material. They released "Please Please Me". Nothing.
    They released "From Me To You" (also had harmonica incidentally). While not a total not a total stiff - it got to #116 in Billboard & #149 in Cashbox - it went pretty much unnoticed.

So - these two songs were the first & second singles to be released in the US - and nothing happened. At that point, Vee-Jay was starting to have financial problems, and EMI canceled the distribution deal for any future releases. "She Loves You" (no harmonica) was offered to Capitol, along with Frank Ifield's "I'm Confessin". Dave chose the Ifield record.

With the Vee-Jay deal dead, "She Loves You" (according to Spizer) was offered to Decca, RCA & Columbia. Pass...pass...and pass. That's how Swan got it. Dick Clark even played it on American Bandstand in 1963 on "Rate-A-Record". It didn't do very well. So at this point, there had been 3 singles released in the US, and all 3 had failed.

Then in November, everything in the country pretty much ground to a halt. CBS had actually scheduled a piece from England on The Beatles for their Evening News that didn't make it to air when it was originally scheduled - because the date was November 22, 1963.

When the flood gates opened in 1964 with The Beatles 5th single (4th in the US), Vee-Jay re-released "Please Please Me" & "From Me To You" on one single, "Love Me Do" & PS I Love You" on their Tollie label … and later "Do You Want To Know A Secret" & "Thank You Girl" (on Vee-Jay). The floodgates were open. I was 11. Me and my friends listened every weekday night to The Beatles Hour at 7PM on a local Top 40 station. Exciting time after the dark days.....

23. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

He rhymes you with you on the first verse.

24. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I would like to hear his evidence for this as it goes against what I have heard or read elsewhere.

25. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Not a remix, but some sort of an amalgamation remake of these two actually exists:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.