The Beatles: Single By Single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bailes, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

True, I forgot it was a non-UK release but still, even Capitol usually did better than that.

AFOS likes this.
  2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yesterday/Act Naturally?

J Alesait likes this.
  3. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

As others have just pointed out, they didn't have a say on the US singles configurations, so the blame is not on them!

4. muddlehead

muddlehead Forum Resident

5. muddlehead

Re: Billboard Hot 100 above

Incredible songs again. Such diversity.

Soul and Inspiration
    Daydream
    Time Won't Let Me
    19th Nervous Breakdown
    I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
    Good Lovin
    Kicks
    Sure Gonna Miss Her - G Lewis & Playboys
    Sloop John B
    Sign of the Times - Petula
    This Old Heart of Mine - Isleys
    California Dreamin'
    Homeward Bound
    Boots … Nancy Sinatra
    Gloria - the best version imho - Shadows of Knight
    2 by Herb Alpert
    Message to Michael Dionne Warwick
    Elusive Butterfly Bobby Lind
    Caroline No
    Eight Miles High
    Maybe the best song of all Till the End of the Day

and on and on ...

notesfrom and pablo fanques like this.
  6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I don't mind Act Naturally so there's that.

Hey Vinyl Man and Spadeygrove like this.
  7. Bailes

Bailes Billy Shears Thread Starter

What Goes On

[​IMG]
    Single Released: 21st February 1966 (US Only)
    A-side: Nowhere Man

The original version of the song was written by John Lennon in the Quarrymen days[2] and considered as a follow-up to "Please Please Me" in early 1963.[3] A demo of this version featuring Lennon and Paul McCartney was recorded in 1963, but the song was not used until 1965 as Ringo Starr's vocal piece for Rubber Soul.[4] According to Lennon, "it was resurrected with a middle eight thrown in, probably with Paul's help" for Rubber Soul.[2] Barry Miles also claimed that McCartney and Starr combined for the middle eight.[5] There is no formal middle eight in the song, though one chorus and one verse are extended; Ian MacDonald believes those longer sections were written by McCartney.[6] Starr contributed to the lyrics, his first-ever composing credit on a Beatles song. However, when asked what his contribution was to the song, Starr jokingly stated, "About five words, and I haven't done a thing since."[5] The first pressing of the single accidentally omitted "Starkey" in the song-writing credit.

References: Wikipedia

8. Bailes

I'm fine with What Goes On. It has a catchy groove of course. But you can tell it was one of the first songs John wrote.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I don't mind any of them

zobalob and MoonPool like this.
  10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

WHAT GOES ON - Not really a fan of this one.

11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"Let it Be"/"You Know My Name"? Maybe that B-side isn't quite as bad as this one, but the A side is better as well.

(Honestly, I can't even remember how "What Goes On" goes. That title always just brings the Velvet Underground song to mind.)

12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I like "You know my name" always fun to listen to even if it isn't a great song

zobalob and Manapua like this.
  13. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Nowhere Man is a good track but one that kind of slips through the cracks for me. It feels a bit like John on auto pilot.

What Goes On - as stated earlier - the one misstep on Rubber Soul.

foxylady likes this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Love What Goes On. John's quirky guitar playing on this track is unlike any other playing I have heard and would easily make my "top 10 Beatle guitar" moments. George plays some nice rockabilly licks too, but pedestrian stuff compared to the off kilter chicked scratchy eruptiona John graced us with. Would love to hear just that track, bass and drums isolated.

notesfrom likes this.
  15. muddlehead

What Goes On for me is pure country and western. Don't know if it's Nashville or Bakersfield. I like it. It's different. I wish the middle instrumental part was longer, however.

notesfrom likes this.
  16. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

The more critical person in me thinks that what goes on is a little childish because its a Ringo vocal but I do genuinely enjoy what goes on

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Anyone know what Ringo contributed to writing WGO?

18. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I think it appears childish because its definitely a step backwards to the mop top era. It sounds like a Beatles For Sale outtake.

19. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Nowhere Man features a solo that has been one of my all time favorites ever. Almost every time I pick up a different guitar, play an E major chord, I can't help myself, i play the whole solo.

20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

'What Goes On':

Made the Billboard singles chart - almost in the Hot 100 - 'Bubbling Under' at #118, in the March 5, 1966 issue. Sorry, Ring...

[​IMG]

21. Bailes

I believe it was written in 1957 during the Quarrymen years and demoed in 1963-ish.

BZync and pablo fanques like this.
  22. Bailes

Paperback Writer

[​IMG]
    Single Released: 30 May 1966
    B-side: Rain

McCartney said: "The idea's a bit different. Years ago, my Auntie Lil said to me, 'Why do you always write songs about love all the time? Can't you ever write about a horse or the summit conference or something interesting?' So, I thought, 'All right, Auntie Lil.' And recently, we've not been writing all our songs about love."[5] Disc jockey Jimmy Savile also recalled McCartney citing the song being inspired by a request from McCartney's aunt who asked if he could "write a single that wasn't about love".[6][7]

In 1966, McCartney discussed the song in an interview with the NME, with Alan Smith writing: ""This came about because I love the word 'paperback.'" He seemed to savour the word and rolled it around his tongue. "Anyway, when we did the song, we wrote the words down like we were writing a letter. We sort of started off 'Dear Sir or Madam,' then carried on from there. If you look at the words I think you'll see what I mean, the way they flow like a letter. But that's it really, there's no story behind it and it wasnt inspired by any real-life characters."[8]

In a 2007 interview, McCartney recalled that he started writing the song after reading in the Daily Mail about an aspiring author, possibly Martin Amis.[9] The Daily Mail was Lennon's regular newspaper and copies were in Lennon's Weybridge home when Lennon and McCartney were writing songs.[6]

References: Wikipedia

BZync and marmalade166 like this.
  23. Bailes

Another one of Paul's greatest hits. Personally, I feel as though this is the start of the psychedelic era, instead of Rubber Soul.

24. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I don't think it was pointed out at the time this single was discussed but Act Naturally was actually intended by Capitol to be the A side.

Capitol were great Ringo fans and proved it by producing singles featuring Matchbox and What Goes On (though by now I think they'd realised he wasn't the one producing the big hits).

Of course the one time the Beatles themselves decided to give Ringo an A side (Yellow Submarine) it didn't get to number one in the States!

Paperback Writer

Great guitar-driven song with offbeat harmonies featuring Frère Jacques in the background (though no one heard it at the time). Important also in not being a love song and possibly mentioning nonsense poet Edward Lear.

The first thinking man's Beatles song.

BZync and pablo fanques like this.
  25. muddlehead

See the Newbeats up there at 99 with not this song.

"Weeeellll, I like bread and butta. I like toast and jam … "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.