The Beatles U.S. Albums box set - your impressions...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

I don't think I could rightly be accused of being an apologist for Apple Corps or any record company for that matter, and I appreciate your attention to detail regarding the packaging of the individual albums, but it might help to look at it this way: back in the day the quality of the printing and assembly of the Capitol albums varied quite a bit, sometimes being quite sloppy with blurry printing and cover slicks pasted on way off center. As a kid when I was buying these I had to go through several copies before I found one that was at least halfway decently assembled with the lettering lined up on the spine and the slick pasted on more or less straight. On some examples these quality variations would leave exposed printing symbols and lines that were supposed to be hidden. Also, I recall seeing variations over the years in what was printed on the jackets and even in colors used (how many recall that there were big variations in the color of the print on the front of "Meet The Beatles" or the "Rubber Soul" logo?). What I'm getting at is that the issues you raise about the CD jackets in the new set, with the exception of the paste-on slick being reversed, are much like what was seen when these albums were being manufactured in the '60's and '70's. Just sayin'. BTW the copy of "Abbey Road" I bought in New York in 1969 didn't use paste-on anything; the cover was printed directly on white cardstock front and back. So there you have it...

2. Nice write up. I don't agree with your comments about them sound modern processed but I do agree about the mono bandwagon. I sure prefer most of these albums in stereo.

The Beave, billnunan and rickboy like this.
  3. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I think the repro sleeves are the highlight of the set. They look darn near spot on. Like you, I also own later LP editions that are not the "tip-on" style of jacket printing. These tend to be more consistent. It's a dichodomy of sorts, with the US albums. I would suggest that these versions of the band's music sold the most of any versions anywhere while the band was together. Yet, the real deal is the UK versions. And that's what had the band's eye at original release. Like in the booklet, when they talk about "The Beatles Story" being essentially a cash grab for retailers. I remember as a kid holding that in my hands and thinking, it's 2 records -- it must be good. While I never did own a copy, to this day it's regarded as a "catalog" album, because I was born and raised on the US versions.

The Beave likes this.
  4. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Apple is basically selling hardcopies of playlists with US album art.

You're buying different song order and cover art.

The actual recordings are vastly replaced with UK mixes.

They got everything right except the main thing, the recordings.

5. santosapolis

santosapolis Forum Resident

Nice!

6. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Hope you get out of there soon, MattyRedSox. Yes, the Beatles box is great (Papi's over the hill), and I'm really glad I bought it (Lester breaks down this year). I love the mono best (enough with the beards) and have played this non-stop (Tanaka will beat you 4 times this season) since getting it. I grew up with the American versions (you can't even sign your own shortstop) so it's a pleasure renewing my Beatles lovefest (enjoy last place again). Cheers!

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

My copy came WITHOUT a "Yesterday....And Today"!!:mudscrying:
    So, no review from me.

8. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Anyone else notice the static (or noise that sounds like static) at the 1:17 point of the stereo mix of the instrumental version of "And I Love Her".

It lasts for about three seconds, and it's only in the right channel.

Any idea what it is?

9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

slane likes this.
  10. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

Can't say positively what it is. It does remind me of vinyl sourced noise that I come across when I do a needledrop and this is quite easy to clean up. Out of curiosity I checked my Ebbetts disc of this title and this noise is not there. That doesn't mean that it's not in the original master though. If it is in the master, Ebbetts could have cleaned it up also. I would have go to my own vintage vinyl of this and play the section before making a determination that it's been there all along.

-DLedin

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I don't hear it on my copy. At that point there's a little faster percussion riff, but it's centered in the stereo, so that can't be what you're referring to. It all sounds OK to me.

Harry

12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Wouldn't it be a kick if after all the furor and stink of getting rid of the "inferior" US tapes, they mastered the George Martin material from needledrops?

JL6161 likes this.
  13. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Is it a very faint noise? I hear something, not a steady volume through those 3 seconds appears, disappears (or grows faint) then reappears. that noise? Have to pull out an LP to check if it's there.

14. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

It's definitely something in the right channel.

I noticed it today when I was running errands with my iPhone, and thought it might be some weird glitch that occurred when the CD was imported into iTunes.

But, when I got home, I checked out the CD itself, and heard the noise again with a different set of headphones.

It's not that loud, but it's quite noticeable.

But, yeah, it's intermittent during those three or four seconds.

15. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I voted "I like it with some reservations". I didn't buy the complete box. I bought 4 of the cds. I'm not happy some of the U.S. mixes are missing, I wish there was a complaint email address. I like the packaging and presentation of the individual cds, even though they aren't exact replicas, they aren't LPs either.

I'm not happy about the quality control, though I could have a one off problem and did not let this issue change my vote. My copy of "the Second Album" plays everywhere but on PCs/Laptops. I've tried 4 different machines. It cannot be ripped with EAC, errors immediately. I thinks it's defective, but can't figure out how to explain this to the record store, so I haven't tried.

16. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Hmm, interesting. I'd be fascinated to see more comparison of the U.S. Albums box "2009 UK" tracks with the tracks on the 2009 UK mono and stereo boxes.

Kathedral likes this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, the original butcher cover is grainy looking.

lennon_08518 and Regine Hunter like this.
  18. slane

slane Forum Resident

I've compared about a dozen, mono and stereo. Those sounded identical in tone, or very close.

JL6161 and Raf like this.
  19. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

I've just checked my own vinyl. There is something there as well. It sounds a little different but it's there and only in the right channel. So I'd surmise that it's inherent in the master at this point.

-DLedin

20. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Voted: like it w/ reservations. Which I am not surprised to see be the leading vote getter at this time. I like what a previous member said - it's like you're buying a playlist with improved artwork. My criticism aside, this is a worthy addition in the end.

21. scrutz

scrutz Member

My morning included listening to selected stereo tracks on "Rubber Soul" from the U.S. Albums set and "Rubber Soul" from the Toshiba issue of The Capitol Albums v. 2 followed by a spin of the same numbers from Capitol ST-2442 (a well-loved and cared-for early rainbow label pressing). Frankly, the vinyl, with all of its original flaws, is the only edition that takes me back. But the CDs aren't to be dismissed. I want to mention that the jacket replication on the Capitol Albums Vol 2 from Japan are tip top (e.g. the correct slick), but the replication on the US Albums isn't to be dismissed. For example, you will find a factory designation on the rear cover that's missing on the Toshiba. Anyway, and somewhat grudgingly, I find that the new set is OK. Anyway, all the recordings all sport good sound but of course each edition offers a different listening experience. Enjoy the ones you want and don't worry about what you ain't got. You'll get what you need if not what you deserve.

Mister Charlie, DLant and SixtiesGuy like this.
  22. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Sounds tasty. I've learned to never become so obsessed with all the variations that I'd forget to enjoy the music.

23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

NO! That's one of the must have titles in this box. Hopefully you can remedy that with a replacement...

musicfan37 likes this.
  24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I guess having the stereo/mono on one disc is a bonus (if I wasn't lucky enough to find the mono box cheap, I probably would be buying more of these new titles)

paulg61 likes this.
  25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I already have the mono box and capitol us albums vol 2. What's the best sounding cd from this new set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.