The Beatles US Capitol Albums Volume 3 On CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, May 13, 2019.

1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

When did that mix happen? Post-1973?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The US/German stereo mix, RS7, was made on 6 November, 1967. The UK stereo mix (called RS25 by Lewisohn) was made on 17 November.

3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Gotcha. Thanks.

4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, the unlimited 2009 restorations were used as the source, and Calbi's own limiting then applied...

...In most cases, Calbi's stereo masters are a touch louder than the 2009 masters, but some songs are quieter, with improved dynamics (Got To Get You Into My Life is the best example I've found of this, having an extra 1.5dB's of peaks compared to the 2009). Obviously, Calbi's mono masters are louder than the 2009's (which had no limiting applied at all in most cases).

I'm not sure what Calbi's 'neutral gain structure' means exactly, but the author of the piece above is under the misunderstanding that the 2009 remasters appear unlimited on the US Albums box (they don't).

5. I'm still waiting patiently for my nostalgia fix for "Beatles Alpha Omega" CD box set. This 4 LP set (60 songs) was my first exposure to most of The Beatles catalog. Purchased by a loving mother for her 6 kids via a TV advertisement in 1972; marketed by a plucky company called Auditape, Inc., exploiting New Jersey's lax copyright enforcement and virtual pirate protection.

This set had it all:
    crappy sound sourced from capitol (vinyl maybe?) -check
    bizarre track sequencing that would have, for example, a 1969 song followed by a 1963 recording (virtually alphabetical) -check
    cheap artwork -just a box that held 4 LPs each with a plain white liner -check
    stating the contents was "all stereo" while including mono and fake stereo content as well -check
    oddly including several solo tracks (Bangladesh live, Imagine, Maybe I'm Amazed and Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey) -check

This set was many US late Boomer and early Gen Xer's first exposure to the Beatles and consequently we (as in I) demand a release that respects our memory of this fine collection. No substitutes are welcome, just an authentic presentation in the form of a 4 CD set (with a minute gap in each CD separating what were the 2 LP sides). Come on Apple, give it up for us true fans who were too young for the original capitol album releases and too old to dig the EMI configurations. We will pay big $$$ for our nostalgia fix.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    zphage and cwitt1980 like this.
  6. slane

slane Forum Resident

I can agree with most of that, particularly about the stereos. The 1987 remixes are a real blot, and I would have preferred the fake stereo tracks to be replaced differently in some cases (like using the US stereo mixes on Y&T, and using the only stereo mix of I Want To Hold Your Hand that existed in early 1964 rather than the 1966 mix).

But forget about the stereos for a minute - the monos are really as perfect as can be done (as long as you don't mind some limiting). Since this set, my listening (when I want original albums) has become UK stereos/US monos. It works very well.

7. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, he also talks about "2009 mixes", which is incorrect. I think the real value of the article is in the interviews with Greg Calbi and Steven Berkowitz.

Onder and slane like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

It really is a shame they didn't do Vol.3, since the 2014 US set isn't complete either, nor is it true to it's original recordings.

9. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I agree with slane and many others. Besides the missing Y&T stereo tracks my biggest issue is the use of the
    1987 remixes for the Help & Rubber Soul tracks......it makes for such a hodge podge of mixes when they are spread
    out over those Capitol albums.

musicfan37, notesfrom and bluemooze like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

that's what happens when you follow the wrong information...: )

musicfan37 likes this.
  11. Michael

: )

musicfan37 likes this.
  12. Michael

word...

musicfan37 and Bingo Bongo like this.
  13. Michael

yea, then it would have been a Capitol American Versions Box set instead of a FAKE/lie...: )

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  14. Michael

tell that to the quartet...they know it all...

15. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Just FYI, it works better to hit the "+ Quote" (multi quote) button next to all the posts you want to respond to, and then scroll down to the reply box when you're done and hit "Insert Quotes" - it means you can can quote multiple posts at your leisure and respond to them in a single post, rather than having 5 separate posts in a row all with a different quoted message :)

zphage likes this.
  16. Michael

thanks for the tip.; )

17. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

In short, Cabli is saying he brought the level (gain) up, to make up what was lost with limiting. Most modern mastering of analogue recordings would apply far more gain because in the digital world, they can.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That’s not what he seems to be saying.

19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I think with the release of the US albums set it’s a mute point and it’s basically beating a dead horse, or at least knocking it unconscious.

[​IMG]

zphage, musicfan37 and Michael like this.
  20. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Vol. 3

Yesterday...and Today
    Revolver
    MMT
    Hey Jude

Vol. 4

Rock ‘n’ Roll Music
    Love Songs
    Rarities
    UA AHDN (as that was reissued by Capitol in 1979)

jbg and Michael like this.
  21. Michael

LOL!

22. Michael

I can dig that!

23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

We should get an original Hollywood Bowl in there somewhere too. Include "The Beatles Movie Medley" on one of those tiny cds, I'm in.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

yes, those too! actually I'd dig every Beatles Capitol LP's...

25. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Here's what's on my homemade Past Masters Volume 3 CD-R:

Live at the Hollywood Bowl, original mix
    "Movie Medley"
    "(There's a) Devil in Her Heart" - Baby It's You EP version with flubbed lyrics
    "I Saw Her Standing There" (take 9) - Free as a Bird CD single
    "This Boy" (takes 12 & 13) - Free as a Bird CD single
    "Christmas Time (Is Here Again)" - Free as a Bird CD single
    "Baby's in Black" (live at the Hollywood Bowl) - Real Love CD single
    "Yellow Submarine" (remix)- Real Love CD single
    "Here, There and Everywhere" (take 7) - Real Love CD single
    "Revolution" (full-length) - Love, iTunes version
    "Back in the U.S.S.R." (full-length) - Love, iTunes version
    "The Fool on the Hill" - Love, iTunes version
    "Girl" - Love, iTunes version