The Beatles US Capitol Albums Volume 3 On CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, May 13, 2019.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Vol 1 was all 1964 albums, and Vol 2 was all 1965. I doubt a Vol 3 was ever really planned, as much as we all wanted one. And has been mentioned, with the US Albums box, I think they want to forget all about the Capitol boxes.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

and the CAPITOL ORIGINAL US VERSIONS! erased and replaced forever in the retail market...

2141 and mmars982 like this.
  3. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Yesterday and Today on the 2014 box used the UK stereo mixes, but the US mono mixes, so it's a hybrid. Most, but not all, of the earlier US mixes were also on the 2014 box.

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Day Tripper is a different stereo mix, no? Still not the original US mix I don't think.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Cap. Vol. 1 & 2 had an obviousness to them that left no head-scratching as to their contents. The US Albums box made a Vol. 3 'effort' superfluous - despite the difference in using original 60s Capitol masters (Cap. sets) vs. mostly 2009 Apple masters (US Albums); they figured that the effort put into the US Albums set had killed the other bird (the need for a Vol. 3) with the same stone. They could get the same people that bought Vol. 1 & 2 to buy the US Albums to 'complete their set'. Plus, Vol. 3 would offer yet another competing legacy release. They probably believe that the Capitol/Vee-Jay/UA/Apple albums from the American catalog need to be suppressed rather than re-hyped and glorified. In an odd way, it's a competing discography; the only real competition The Beatles legacy 'canon' has ever had has been with its very own American discography. Not in terms of sales, necessarily (the US market had it beat), but rather in terms of historical legitimacy. That's why it had to 'go away' in 1987. Which one was the real discography that leant itself to the 1960s Beatles experience? The answer, of course, is both.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  6. Michael

so basically no one addressed my Kickstarter question? Is it virtually impossible? or do we need to guarantee a lot of money? ...beg Paul , Ringo, Yoko, Mrs. Harrison? I'm reaching...I know.

Shaker Steve and musicfan37 like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Kickstarters work well in situations where a person owns music and wants to release it, but lacks label interest and the funds to release it independently. That is the exact opposite of this situation. Money is not an issue, and neither is lack of label interest. Rather it is that the rights holders do not want to release the configuration/contents that you want. Raising money (I guess to try to bribe them) is not going to change their minds, because their decision not to release it is not a financial decision, and they are already filthy rich.

Nightswimmer, lukpac, supermd and 3 others like this.
  8. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Yes, both sides of that single had their own unique US mixes. Neither are very good, imho.

mmars982 likes this.
  9. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

At this point, I think a realistic expectation would be an expanded Rarities collection that includes all of the "strays," such as the Y&T stereo mixes, the '66 SFF, the various Walrus mixes, the "alterations" on Rock and Roll Music/Love Songs, and all of the others "hanging out there."

10. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Y&T
    Revolver
    MMT
    US Rarities
    (done)

mooseman, Pete Puma, Michael and 2 others like this.
  11. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

This difference is exactly why the Capitol box CDs are so cool, and they sound sooo great!

"despite the difference in using original 60s Capitol masters (Cap. sets)"

notesfrom and Sidewinder43 like this.
  12. Michael

thanks for the explanation really appreciate it. : ) I'm not up on the workings of Kickstarter...filthy rich! you've got that...

musicfan37 and Sidewinder43 like this.
  13. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

So which other 3 for the 4cd set?

14. Michael

EXACTLY...or we may be biased!; )

Sidewinder43 and 2141 like this.
  15. ishmael

ishmael Forum Resident

Exactly...it would be mostly complications.....Rock N Roll, Love Songs, etc.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  16. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Those did have some remixes so not entirely a waste.

ishmael and Sidewinder43 like this.
  17. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Excuse if this has been answered previously, was there ever any "official" notification from Apple, etc., that there would be a Vol 3 issued? Or has this always been something fans simply wanted and assumed would happen?

Michael likes this.
  18. Sidewinder43

In addition to not having all of the U.S. mixes, a major beef I had with the U.S. Albums was using the mono version twice for such songs as Love Me Do, PS I Love You, She Loves You, I'll Get You, etc. The "best" fake stereo version should have been used for those songs.

A well respected man and 2141 like this.
  19. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

No.

2141 likes this.
  20. Michael

IIRC, Ted Jensen may have mentioned or suggested Volume 3 may have been already done or started? BUT IT WAS EXPECTED...hint hint ;Volune 1 & 2 were out...to finish it with Volume 3 was a given to most who invested in the first 2...sadly, the most wanted by many was the ORIGINAL Yesterday & Today album Stereo/Mono!

musicfan37, kronning, JFS3 and 2 others like this.
  21. Sidewinder43

And the mixes unique to MMT.

ronbow, jmxw, 2141 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Michael

Indeed...

2141 likes this.
  23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There was never any kind of official announcement for a Volume 3, just lots of speculative hope from Capitol fans. My guess is that it never got beyond the discussion stage, and any hopes of it happening died for good when Capitol President Andy Slater (the main suit who was behind the first two volumes) was ousted from his position in January of 2007. Aside from Yesterday and Today and Magical Mystery Tour, there really was no consensus on what should have been on a hypothetical third volume anyway.

24. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Diego Lucas likes this.
  25. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Bruce's comments on this thread pretty much answer the questions about why Vol 3 didn't happen. I can quibble with some of his logic, but at least he offers a reasonable explanation.