The Beatles US Capitol Albums Volume 3 On CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Great list. I would add the Love Songs remixes and the unreleased "I'm Down" stereo remix to disc two

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Brilliant. Instant purchase here.

3. Onder

Onder Senior Member

There are no remixes on Love Songs. Norwegian Wood and Girl are the 1965 mixes, they just panned the channel with vocals in center (the channels might be switched too, don't remember).

slane likes this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not genuine remixes, only alterations of existing mixes (which is a minefield I'd rather avoid).

lukpac and Onder like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Well, if those don't count — I suppose the swapped-channel version of "Paperback Writer" is also off the list, which is fine by me. Seems a two-disc set of rarities would mop up everything nicely, except for the live Hollywood Bowl mixes from 1976

Onder likes this.
  6. slane

slane Forum Resident

There is also the 1964 performance/mix of Twist And Shout (in stereo) from the Hollywood Bowl, and the original mono Christmas Time Is Here Again from the 1967 flexi. Both were officially released, but only in truncated form.

7. sw61139

sw61139 Well-Known Member

8. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I think there are many examples of narrowed/rebalanced stereo, especially of the 1963 twin track stereo mixes. I understand there are also some songs with different fake stereo applied on different releases.

But let's not go there.

slane likes this.
  9. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Wouldn't with the extended ending And I Love Her also qualify as an outfake? And the Canadian Don't Bother Me isn't an alternate mix or a vocal miscue, it was created by a mastering error.

lukpac, slane and Onder like this.
  11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Somebody should send this to Apple. :agree:

12. owsley

owsley Senior Member

The US stereo mix of Bird is different from the UK Revolver, as are the US stereo Dr. Robert and I'm Only Sleeping, just like the US mono mixes of those same 3 songs are different from the Revolver mono mixes. Thanks for the info on the box set. I assumed the US Albums box would include the same Y&T that was sold separately with no mix corrections

lukpac likes this.
  13. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I have that mix and don't know how to categorize it since I believe it was a mastering error and not an alternate mix that was used by accident. It's a cool variation but I can't classify it as something that's suitable for reissue. I'm sure others may disagree with me :)

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't know how "Don't Bother Me" could have been so screwed up in mastering. But I guess anything is possible...
    I've only heard the fake stereo "Bird", is there another stereo mix different from the UK's version? Anybody know what the difference is?

15. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Apparently George Martin prepared two stereo mixes of "...Bird...," one right after the other; one went to the U.S. for Y&T and the other went on the U.K. Revolver master tape. Although they are technically distinct mixes, apparently the differences between them are negligible; two passes with the faders at the same levels. I haven't done an A/B comparison using my state-of-the-art Capitol cassette to be sure.

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

One thing is for sure: Capitol's had much better MARKET POSITIONING! :laugh:

17. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

It could raise a million dollars, but Apple will never release a third Capitol Albums CD collection. They wouldn't want to rehash something like that after the US Boxset was already released.

As far as Apple (or the audio engineers and producers they employ to put these sets together) were concerned when the US box came out, the UK mixes are the "correct" mixes, therefore anything else is not valid. Kind of made the US Albums box set a bit pointless as they only used the UK mixes, meaning all we have is an expensive iTunes playlist rip made to approximate the original US Albums. BTW - It's not Giles fault either, he questioned why the 1987 mixes were still being used and got the reply of "Your father wouldn't like us tampering with his mixes". To which when Giles asked his father about this, the reply was "I remixed them in the 80's!?!".

The best bet of seeing these final US album released in their original forms is an official vinyl box set with all the US albums included.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

USELESS AND DEPRESSING...

19. Michael

INDEED! it would have been so much easier accepting that we did not get V3...a most important album to me and my most wanted...

20. Michael

THIS!!!! that would be paramount!

pika22, boggs, musicfan37 and 2 others like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'd bite.

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

yes, I'm sure many others would as well...it would be so cool to have them all...

musicfan37, DK Pete and Sidewinder43 like this.
  23. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

A Hard Day's Night - OST
    Yesterday & Today
    The Beatles Story

With all the regular mixes replaced with the 2009 remasters, mixes unique to each release will remain.

Just keep the US reissues and be happy, after the brouhaha with Volume 2 I highly doubt it will happen.
    I would like to see reissues of Rock & Roll Music, Love Songs and Ballads those will never see a reissue, I'll settle with my DESS CD's.

DK Pete likes this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..you never know...that's the thing with some of these "odd" Beatle compilations from over the years...there's such a good number of them that any one would make a great RSD limited re-issue. Even a box set of the ones you mentioned would be great.

25. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Why does this misinformation keep being repeated?

Hamhead, ibanez_ax, lukpac and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.