The Beatles - White Album 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BuCo, Nov 9, 2018.

1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

CD / BD

Favourite remixes on first listen: Both Revolutions and Birthday.

Remixes have nice, warm EQ.

Mono is quiet on the blu ray, have to turn it up a lot after the remix. Sounds very good. I generally prefer the mono White so this and the 2014 LP are probably my favourites, but I like all White album releases since 2009 for what they are.

OptimisticGoat and Mr. Explorer like this.
  2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Sounds great on the blu ray in mono too, feel the thwack of the drum on my Grados... yum.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Your coin.

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  4. Spencer Marquart

Spencer Marquart Forum Resident

:doh: Volume knobs are there for a reason. This one just squeals a bit when I turn it up. I was hoping they could break the precedent with this one. We know the music is top notch. Just a shame they had it mastered to the industry standard. Maybe they'll get it right on the Centennial edition..

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

CD?

6. Kavorka

Kavorka Chief Bottle Washer

I hope no one reads my post, but if someone does, could you tell me if the anniversary LPs are available in stores today?

7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The overall feeling I get from the remix is a general smoothing out and making the whole album a uniform listen. It’s not bad, but it does take away the differing character of the tracks, which tended to be unique from song to song. Saying that, the original mixes are still readily available to savor the sonic palate of the album.

8. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Could we hear Paul singing Love Me Do at the end of Revolution 1 (Take 18) before? Love it!

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

On Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    the vocals go from forward to recessed - imaging to the back 'behind the speakers'

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

11. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I really think this thread is unnecessary....I mean why not just have it all in the other thread. What’s the difference.

Anyway, the Super Deluxe is a great set but I do have some concern of the book holding up over time due to the way it was made. I mean I think it’ll be ok, I would have just personally preferred the book and the discs to be separate.

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  12. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

For all those wanting to know - Worth it? Yes - at least pick up the 2LP. You can thank me later. :righton:

scotti likes this.
  13. Spencer Marquart

Spencer Marquart Forum Resident

24/96 Hi-Res

14. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

The You're So Square jam. Holy donuts! That's the stuff!

15. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

A lot of Lennon's screams and shouts in the (live?) take 18 of Revolution 1 end up in the final version, but we finally have them more clear instead of the collage-style of the final mix.

16. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Not quite Let It Be... Nekkid, IMHO lifeless. Sounds much more like a George Martin production than the original mix, but that's not a bad thing.
    The liner notes are quite disappointing. Maybe Mr. Howlett thinks he's being clever, but his essay adds little even a casual (for this forum) Beatle fan already knows. MTV? Nirvana? Unplugged? You lost me again there. They're just demos, Kevin. Have you listened to Anthology?
    Yeah, that was snarky. But I prefer a less reverential view of the Fabs.

pantofis, Mechanical Man and Gila like this.
  17. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more. DB levels are very close to the 2009.

And the stereo spectrum is filled out very nicely. In comparison, the 2009 seems to have holes in the sound. I didn't like his Pepper remix but this mix is excellent!

18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Listening to the remix CD's on my home system and comparing to the remix LP's. You definitely want the LP's with this release. Maybe no surprise there.
    The Esher demos are gorgeous and in places nearly choked me up....John Lennon in the living room....the bit where he says "Hello Paul" nearly got me...

19. StateOfTheArt

One thing I just noticed - no idea why - there is an edit in "Happiness" Esher Demo - the original take John says "Mother Supe... oh ****. Wrong chord." Then proceeds into the prechorus. 2018 - it's gone folks. Or - is this another take?

dvakman likes this.
  20. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I listened to the Esher demos and new album mix on Apple Music today, trying to decide if I want to buy the new cd or lp. I find the demos interesting, but can't see myself needing to go back to those very often, and I think overall I prefer the original album mix. That's no surprise to me as I generally dislike new mixes of albums I've already loved in the original mix. Here's a clear case where my Apple Music subscription is saving me some money, because after listening, I am confident that my 1980's cd of this album will remain my main version and so no need to invest in this new version.

21. StateOfTheArt

I mean - the original will always be there. Must we keep going through this? It was the same with Pepper. It's just different, not necessarily better.

22. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Anyone compare the Blu-ray Mono to the 2009 mono yet?

23. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Just finished side one on Spotify and Dear Prudence and Glass Onion have been the two standouts for me so far.

Also just notice they put Let It Be Naked on Spotify finally.

24. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

All you folks praising the vinyl made me cave in - I wasn’t gonna do it but I just ordered the 4 LP box to complement the cd and Blu-ray box. Can’t wait!

25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Blu-ray not available outside the super-duper deluxe set? Unreal. :(