The Beatles White Album remix---Ken Scott?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stanleynohj, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I think people here are not using the right terminology with regards to the availability of the original mix. Yes, it is true, the original mix is still here, people own CDs of the 1987 CD, 30th anniv., the 2009 CD, the vinyl LPs over the years and it is likely to be on many a P2P system (I assume, I can't say for sure :D). What is uncertain is whether the original mix will be sold retail or even streamed anymore of late. Is the original mix, like the Sgt. Pepper original mix OOP currently? Is the original mix still being manufactured, or is every seller (be it Amazon, eBay, etc) just selling discontinued copies, and new retailers are re-stocking the new mix only?
    I hope people here can understand the differences as to what "still available" means to everyone. Sure, I have all my copies of the original mix, but are future buyers limited only to the remix. Of course, all the buyers out there are all law abiding like us, and they will only buy the CD version through legitimate channels, but what of the streaming audience? Do they only have a choice of the remix for now?

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I wouldnt think he would be a fan.

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No, there's no Hunky Dory SACD. These are the remixes from Bowie's Nothing Has Changed (released 2014, where the remix is labelled as being from 2003) and Legacy (2016) compilations
    No. Both of them are on streaming sites right now, I can play the stereo 2009 remasters on Tidal with no problem
    No, again, the record company has retained the 2009 versions on all official channels, whether they are physically pressing more copies I don't know but they are certainly selling real copies through official channels

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  4. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Which are the original mixes but have been remastered - people often get these terms mixed up

5. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Nah, the studio stuff. For example, Tragedy and Mama’s Little Girl are bone dry compared to the previously surfaced versions.

6. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

The original versions of both Pepper's and white are streaming on Apple Music, fwiw

7. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

So as far as you know, copies of the 2009 White album are still for sale, but there is no word as to when the stock runs out, will they only sell the remix, or will they still get the 2009 remaster and still offer the choice of either.

8. StateOfTheArt

I think its still on the official site. afaik Edit: No - probably because it would cause confusion and hinder promoting the new mix.

9. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The mono original was included in the super deluxe on the blu ray. I enjoy listening to both.

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Frankly, it would be very unusual for the original stereo mix of either album to go out of print after 50+ uninterrupted years of being in print, but I suppose anything is possible

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Scott details the making of the White Album quite throughly in his great book From Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust. Basically as you all know, George Martin went off on holiday and left the making of the Beatles' next project to the band and the engineers Ken Scott and Chris Thomas (there were probably others). I have no doubt Scott might say he (or has said, I would have to reread that section again), that he just engineered and followed the directions of whatever the band was doing at the time (as was Thomas). Martin came back and oversaw the mixes (both stereo and mono) and guided the sequencing. I wouldn't give Ken Scott sole credit as "the main architect" but in the absence of Martin he provided continuity through the sessions from being the band's engineer for so long at that point.

Lewisboogie and aphexj like this.
  12. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

I think I heard on one of the (many) Beatles’ podcasts that Ken Scott is not a fan of the remix(es). Can’t remember exactly which podcast that was. Don’t quote because I could be mistaken.

It’s obvious that Ken Scott and Geoff Emerick (when he was alive) would look down their noses at projects like these because of their involvement in the original recording process which is completely understandable.

But I personally believe that these remixes are completely blowing the originals away.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. StateOfTheArt

Well, considering how innovative and creative one had to be back then to get the results they got. It's a miracle we got what we did. Of course these new mixes will be clearer, technology in the industry did a lot of that heavy lifting.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

It is The Beatles, the original mixes are never not going to be sold.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

I completely get that and have the upmost respect for the innovation required back then.

16. Lemon Curry

Having the original and new remix together on the same blu ray allows relatively easy a/b comparisons, and I was surprised by what I heard.

The new mix is clearly a modern, solid state type mix. You might even say Abbey Road-ish.

The original is clearly processed thru valves, and one can hear the effects of valves pushed into mid-rangy saturation. It is totally apples and oranges to compare the mixes, as the original is so much a product of the board and processing available then.

I think the new mix is wonderful, joyous. But it does cast aside the unique sound of the 1968 EMI Studio.

I enjoy both, but I hope Apple will keep including the original mixes in 96/24 glory on all their remix products to preserve the history.

17. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Not sure if I'd described it as dry, but it certainly isn't MOIST.

I listened to it once and decided the original is perfectly fine as is. And I like a lot of remixes, especially the Wilson and Jackszyk stuff with the prog bands.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. StateOfTheArt

Its funny - to normies - they don't really notice a difference at all. My brother was like - uh whats different? haha I tried to explain it, but I admit it was more difficult than it should have been.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Nah....everything was paid for 50 years ago except the engineer's time now. They need to get back to the analog domain and leave the digital behind.

20. StateOfTheArt

You're also comparing a mono mix from 68 and a stereo remix from 2018. So, of course its apples and oranges. :)

BZync likes this.
  21. StateOfTheArt

I don't see that happening since digitizing these tapes. Probably mostly for ease of use, then safety concerns with how fragile they are every time you run them through a tape head.

22. Lemon Curry

It would have been nice to have the stereo, too, but alas only the mono.

It's more the sonic feel that struck me.

StateOfTheArt and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

remixed??? A HA HA HA...; )

just kidding I don't want to start a feeding frenzy...

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

why would they include the original stereo mix? the intention was to replace the original inferior mix...

25. Lemon Curry

Whether or not replace was the idea, the document should have been to include all the official mixes. Why not? The Beatles You Tube channel is featuring the 2018 remix regardless, so there would have been no harm in being complete in the super deluxe.

StateOfTheArt and Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.