The Beatles White Album remix---Ken Scott?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stanleynohj, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree...

2. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Everything is more clear and obvious but at the same time more strident and glaring. The old mixes were slightly better balanced actually.

I really don't find that many tracks to be an objective improvement. The boomified bass and bass drum is terrible.

The comment about how it's now got more of an Abbey Road transistor sound and less of an analog tube sound is right.

3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

You mean the original 'unhappy' mix. Or was it? It's now been known that all the Beatles and George Martin all had their hands on top of one another while fading up and down levels during mixes. Paul even pressed his nose on the compressor knobs and everyone had a big laugh... especially George Harrison. Yoko floated above and sprinkled cuts of bag over them. Giles says the bag was pink, not black.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

you mean the one we all loved since the day it was released...then yes. ; ) I loved it then and still do...

cwitt1980 likes this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Supposedly Chris Thomas and Ken Scott weren't even consulted for the 50th anniversary.

Michael likes this.
  6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I still love it now. The remixes are fine to me for hearing Beatles in a different way but they don't replace the originals for me. I have too much nostalgia and memories invested in the originals. I was seven in 1987 and already a Beatles nut. With the cd reissues that came out, they were being played all the time on the radio. I used to sit with a tape recorder and wait for something to come on and capture it. I wish I still had some of those tapes. Heck, I probably have a few somewhere. The new remixes just flow in and out of me. I don't feel like they're personal enough.

UCrazyKid likes this.
  7. Michael

why would they be? they wanted to have a fresh new wreckage...AH HA!

8. Michael

someday they will...especially when they are all wreaked...

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

EMI we're always scared to death that George Martin would publicly diss one of their Beatles projects so kept him at arms length. Universal don't give a stuff about what anyone who was actually there says. It's just like Slaughterhouse Five.

10. Michael

: )

11. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Today's vinyl retail market is a niche market anyway.
    The train has left that station. Thanks to digital technologies the original remix will be around forever.

It won't make any difference to somebody 100 years from now what version of the White Album they hear. Don Quixote has had a score of translators over the last 400 years and is probably the greatest novel ever in no matter what language it has appeared in.

Plus there are millions of vinyl copies lying about. They won't all be destined for the landfill.

12. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Again, most people do not hear a difference between the two. Nor do they really care about it. So, you're right, they probably won't care about which edition or mix is available, as long as they can hear it for free.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

One thing I tip my hat to Giles for is the drum sound he got on the WA remix. I may be in a minority on this, but I always perceived the snare on that album as sounding a bit dead, a tea-toweled, non-ambient "snap". Perhaps rich in harmonics, but unlike any of Ringo's snare sounds before or after that album.

Giles restored the thwack-bang that was there on Pepper. A song like Yer Blues is so much more menacing now, just on the improved snare sound alone.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Thought I would share this video. It has awesome footage to put a visual with the new outtakes released.

15. Michael

that's one way to look at it. ; )

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Nah, all he had to do was turn up the volume on the bass and drums, i.e. of the two living Beatles...

Tommyboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.