The Beatles Yellow Submarine (Film) Returning To Cinemas July 8, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm a big fan of animation as well (I have made a couple of animated shorts myself). That's the part of the film that most appeals to me. And each song is sort of set art piece. But the actual Beatles individually have a good deal of charisma. Watching drawn versions of themselves given vocal life by other actors just doesn't do it for me.

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love Bulldog too but seeing it again the other day I can see why it was cut from the initial release. The animated sequence kinda stalls the movie at that point and isn’t nearly as well done as the others. Reminds me of the Brodax TV show. Love the song though.

Clark V Kauffman and BeatlesBop like this.
  3. chacha

Yeah, it’s a real shame The Beatles didn’t voice it themselves. Would have transformed the movie. The guy who did George’s voice is particularly bad and totally misses. But 50 years on it’s easy for me to accept it all for what it is and as a result love the movie much more than when I first saw back in 68.

Mazzy likes this.
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I've got a couple of books about the making of YS. I read them a long time ago, but if memory serves, the Hey Bulldog sequence was done by a completely different studio or department in a different country than some of the rest of the movie. The animation and likenesses of the individual Beatles are quite different than the rest of the film.

5. Well several of the sequences were done by different animation teams

dewey02 likes this.
  6. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Same here but I didn't see it until it came out on VHS tape in the 1980's and I was very underwhelmed at best.
    I don't know if it made it to a theater near me in 1969, it was '69 in the US wasn't it.
    I got it on DVD a couple of years ago and I like it a lot, I picked up on the whole vibe correctly. I think it looks awesome.

chacha and Jack Lord like this.
  7. I'm one who thinks the George Martin score is tremendous. Fits the work perfectly and even as a kid, I listened to side two of the soundtrack a lot.

Onder, elaterium, Paul H and 7 others like this.
  8. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

When I got the LP in '69 from money by skipping lunch at school I forced myself to listen to side 2 because I felt I had to as to not waste money (yes weird). So I always did after I played side 1.
    It must have gotten into my psyche because I too love it now and I remember it, I know the music.

9. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

It's playing at the Michigan theater 46 miles from me also happens to be the same theater that I saw Disney's Fantasia for the first time in 1972 or 73 when I lived near Ann Arbor.
    I should go see it and smoke one before going in like I did with Fantasia.

Morton LaBongo, forthlin and chacha like this.
  10. chacha

It looks like the crap American cartoon series. Not up to the standard of the rest of the movie.

Mazzy and YpsiGypsy like this.
  11. I saw the 1999 film remaster in surround sound at a private screening here in Calgary at the one of the Eau Claire Market Cineplex-Odeon screens. It only played the one time. I manged to score a 2 person pass from the local EMI office at the time. I knew the branch manager. Was nice, being able to see it on the big screen. I've seen all the Beatles movies in movie theatres.

The new 4K transfer does not appear to be playing here.

12. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I hadn't noticed before, but for some reason they decided to make George's skin color slightly darker than the others. I found this a bit strange. Was it a mistake, or were they consciously accentuating his Eastern interests at the time.

13. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Remember there were two guys who voiced George. The first was discovered to be an army deserter and was arrested before he finished the job. The fellow voicing Ringo them picked up George where it was left off. I need to listen closely and see if I can detect when it changes :)

14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I interviewed Gerald Potterton about a decade ago... known mostly as director of the flick Heavy Metal but also did a Buster Keaton movie, The Railrodder, and did animation on Yellow Submarine... will dig out the interview and share his YS memories... these days does beautiful paintings of WW2 airplanes...

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  15. chacha

The guy who does Ringo is pretty good. George is awful. No character at all. It’s like they had never heard his distinctive voice.

16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I also find the alternate versions interesting, but am unclear on much of it.

There was the UK premiere on 17 July 1968. Is this the same as what was restored in 1999 and again in 2012?

IMDB lists release dates then of 2 August 1968 in Ireland, 12 September 1968 in Sweden, and 13 November 1968 in the USA, and then elsewhere through August 1970. Was the US version unique to the US, or was it more widespread? Is it this US theatrical version that was released on VHS and Laserdisc in 1987?

The 1987 video release is noted for being open-matte 4:3 fullscreen, with more picture shown at the top and bottom than the 1999/2012/2018 versions, which are cropped to a 1.66:1 aspect ratio. There is a rant about the merits of the fullscreen version here. I have the VHS of this, but I'm wanting to do a digital capture when I play it, so haven't watched it yet.

You allude to other edits appearing on television, but these probably weren't in the theater or home video release?

There is a comparison of (I think) the two theatrical versions here, but it is rather confusing exactly which versions are being compared, and it also doesn't seem to be complete.

17. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Same guy

18. chacha

understood

19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

What would have been especially entertaining is if John had done all the voices.

xilef regnu, dee and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  20. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Family issues meant that I missed the cinema screening but I did see it last time it appeared (DVD release?). It's a great film and they have done an amazing job with the restoration which I have on bluray. All world leaders should have been plucked from their seats of power, marched into a cinema, given popcorn and forced to watch it together. Then ask them if they can honestly carry on the way they have been. That would have been an intersting experiment to be a fly on the wall for!

You sort of get the impression that those who made it in the sixties were thinking along those lines. Naive maybe, but nothing has changed since those times and if anything things are much worse.

21. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I'll have to come back to your full post when I have more time, but I do want to address the aspect ratio conversation.

First, many people who initiate debates on this do not fully understand that film-to-tape transfers from the early 1980s forward were often manipulated shot-by-shot and therefore do not represent in any way a real "open matte" presentation. Second, there is enough contemporary documentation collected by film historians to confirm that by 1968, mainstream (studio) theatrical films would not be created with the intention of being shown in a 4:3 aspect ratio. The practice of exposing a full 4:3 camera negative with the knowledge that an aperture plate would only project the intended image (approximately 1.66:1 to 1.85:1 in the center of the frame) should have been well understood by the technical staff of a production of the time. Technicians and executives presumably reserved some flexibility in the frame because they knew most films would be shown on 4:3 television at some point.

So for the original film reels of "Yellow Submarine," there is indeed artwork in the area outside the main aspect ratio, but probably out of obligation rather than intent. There are some minor mistakes in those areas which can be seen in the 1980s transfer, stuff that would never been seen by a theatrical audience. And as I mentioned up front, that 1980s transfer is most likely made up of hundreds of framing adjustments where other mistakes" or "junk" were cropped out intentionally because the home audience would be distracted (like when you see a boom microphone at the top of a frame on old 4:3 versions of films).

Dinstun and Raf like this.
  22. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

But then when I was a kid after the initial release it became a matinee staple for years. It seemed to get played a few times every year. Me and my friends always went.
    I lived on a Marine Corps Base and Matinees used to cost a Nickel to get in! Later it became the only full length movie my toddler would sit through without moving.
    Now he's 12 and was all in to go see it again but nothing around here, luckily I have the Blu Ray I guess.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Not only did my daughter take a photo of her shirt, but she also someone selling their old shirt on the internet.
    It looks like it has Max the Meany, rather than the Butterfly Stomper (it has been decades since I've seen the shirt).
    The one for sale on the internet has stains and holes in it...and they are wanting $250 for it! :yikes:

My daughter's is a bit on the thin side, but no stains or holes. I told her she apparently has a real collector's item...either that or an old tee shirt that she can use as a nightshirt!

Here's hers:

[​IMG]

And here's the link for any of you rich folks who want to spend a couple hundred bucks for a stained and holy old shirt. https://wycovintage.com/product/1970s-the-beatles-yellow-submarine-shirt/

Electric Sydney likes this.
  24. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

That’s a great shirt! You almost should put it in a picture frame and hang it as art.
    I will not entertain the thought of paying $250 for someone else’s old, very used shirt, I like Butterfly Stompers better than Max the Meany anyway.
    I was hoping for these YS showings to offer Beatles product for sale, but nope.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    dewey02 likes this.
  25. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Was it just my local theater or are all theaters showing this in sing-along mode with all the song lyrics appearing on screen???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.