The Bee Gees: Song by Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skyblue17, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

Yes, you're right, but don't forget "Wouldn't I Be Someone", "Harry's Gate" and "It Doesn't Matter Much to Me", great songs too.

Hadean75, Jarleboy and JeffMo like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I wish Barry would allow for an official release!

3. Dandelion1967

Yes, It's about time!!!

Hadean75 and JeffMo like this.
  4. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

One of my all-time favorite Bee Gees songs.... "Castles In The Air", from the wonderful 'A Kick In The Head.'

Hadean75 and skyblue17 like this.
  5. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh yes, something that leaked last year...

"Stayin' Alive" with the slow section intact!

Majk, Hadean75, JoeF. and 2 others like this.
  6. Dandelion1967

Mr. Natural is terrific, great production by Arif Mardin. "Voices" is impressive and "Had a Lot of Love Last Night" is one most beautiful songs I ever heard, amazing harmonies.

7. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm mostly a fan of their late '60s songs, like this lovely, wistful little track from Idea, Kilburn Towers:

LouieG, HappyFingers, Folknik and 9 others like this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

My favorite song 'today' is an early one.
    Maybe because it was a huge hit where I live and owning some of the original 'Spin' 45's.
    'Spicks & Specks'.

This 1989 version taped here in Melbourne, shows the audience participating without any convincing and it's immediate.
    What is great about it, like most 'catchy' songs, is that 'something' that sets it apart from everything else on the radio.
    That one note piano intro is recognizable on the first hit.
    The song structure is something different in itself.
    No Chorus, No Instrumental, it's mainly Verses and one Bridge based.
    Unusual.
    It's not one of the usual songs they played in their shows, but they were very clever to pull out this 'big gun' on the Aussie audience.

9. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Love this! I know this song became more of a thing again in the One Night Only era, but I didn’t realize they hadn’t played it much on other tours. That must have been a blast for the audience (and them!)

Jarleboy, Hadean75 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That slow part...that definitely had to go! Very unusual that such a drastic change in tempo worked brilliantly in Nights On Broadway, but not at all in Stayin’ Alive. Neat to hear it though.

11. skyblue17

I agree! It's really cool to hear it now, but it doesn't really fit the song at all to me. But it's fun whenever stuff like this exists and we get to find out about it!

Jrr, Jarleboy and Hadean75 like this.
  12. skyblue17

I really enjoy this! I'll admit, I never paid much attention to this album at all due to Robin not being on it. However, as a Maurice-appreciator, that is probably pretty dumb of me and this song is pushing me in that direction. I really like this, and it allows Mo a little more room to shine, something he was not afforded often enough!

13. Photon

Photon Forum Resident

This is an underrated song indeed! I love it. Feels like an anthem that you can really sing along to - full of memorable hooks. Hit number 16 in the UK and the US I believe. It was also played quite a lot on South African radio through the decades.

Nice video as well:

14. skyblue17

This is a great video! I'm always amazed at how much video footage of early Bee Gees there is kicking around. It sounds like this is the finished studio track over the recording session, but it's still fun to see! Also, I like reminders of Geoff's existence!

davenav and Hadean75 like this.
  15. skyblue17

Let's flash forward a few decades to "Wedding Day," a gem from the Bee Gees' last album, This Is Where I Came In.

This song stands out on the album to me, as it's kind of a throwback to the way they presented songs earlier in their career. Barry sings the verses, Robin comes soaring in for the chorus, there's a fantastic harmony. There's a light risk if it being a little cheesy, yet it never gets to that point. The lyrics tell a beautiful story and it's presented in a way that is near perfect to me.

I'm sharing the live version partially because I think it's great that one exists. For a group that obviously spends a lot of their live performances singing songs made popular by their younger selves, it's refreshing to hear them perform a song written for their current voices. Barry's voice aged more over time than Robin's did, but they both sound fantastic here and come together so well on this song. I can't help but feel a little moved every time Robin joins on the chorus, it's just such a beautiful vocal and that ethereal quality of his voice that he is still able to command just gets to me! Not to mention that this is likely the last song they ever performed this way, as the other songs from this album that got live treatment are a little more individually focused and upbeat. Here, we get to see Robin singing along off mic and Maurice smiling as Barry sings his verse, there's that mid-song cheer as Robin sings his first line (I love how often this happens!), there's a big and full bridge, and then Robin taking us out with some extra riffs and trademark "ooh ohhh"s. It's just a great full group song as they usher in the fifth decade of their career.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Also, the essential "going nowhere" part is missing and everything after the slow part is pretty much fadeout.

Interesting to think that the original take of one of the most popular songs ever would probably not have been much of a hit.

Hadean75, skyblue17 and JeffMo like this.
  17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree.
    It's interesting to hear now, but it just stops the song dead. The change in tempo on "Nights On Broadway" works because it's not as drastic and it segues back to the main part of the song more naturally.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

So sad their 5th decade would be cut so short.

siveld, Jrr, Hadean75 and 1 other person like this.
  19. skyblue17

I think the reason it works so well on "Nights on Broadway" is because that song gets into an early groove and it never lets up until the bridge. It's an almost necessary reprieve from the energy and pulse of the song, a chance to catch your breath back before it finishes off. "Stayin' Alive" has a great energy too, but it doesn't have that same type of urgency that "Nights on Broadway" does. This version of "Stayin' Alive" does seem slower in general too, though.

Sharing my favorite version of "Nights on Broadway" for emphasis! It's a truly seamless transition on both ends.

GLUDFSSR, Zardok, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  20. skyblue17

This is a delightful tune. Is that guiro I hear?

21. Dandelion1967

Beautiful Mellotron played by Maurice.

JeffMo and Hadean75 like this.
  22. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Come Some Christmas Eve Or Halloween

One of the bonus tracks from The Studio Albums/Idea 2006 release.

I adore Robin's vocals in this one. :love:

I also love the nonsensical lyrics (they were good at those lol). :laugh:

23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I didn't buy the album at the time as I was a teen with little money so singles were pretty much all I could afford. In fact, Holiday is among the earliest singles I owned. In those days, I had several relatives who also bought singles so if say, my cousin already had something I liked, I'd just listen to his 45 and buy something else. That's why To Love Somebody, I've Gotta Get A Message To You, I Started A Joke and my personal favorite, Words didn't show up in my collection until I eventually bought their Greatest Hits album a few years later. I love every phase of their career but '67-'69 still holds a special place in my heart.

skyblue17 likes this.
  24. granata

granata Forum Resident

Easy enough to find on Ebay. I paid £10 for the CD (and £4 for a Uruguayan LP!).

25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve never seen the CD for £10.

granata likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.