The best CD player under $5000?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

As some of guys remember I was recently thinking about upgrading my SonyXA9000ES to a better SACD/CD unit (and thanx for all your recommendations folks!) but lately I started to have second thoughts about SACD format as a whole. Since I hate multichanel music the only thing that can sell me a stereo SACD is a much better sound quality compared to redbook and that's not what I hear on most of my hybrids. Anyway, since the format is mostly dead (or so it seems) when it comes to pop or rock'n'roll stuff (and I have only 30+ SACD most of them hybrid) I think it's time for me to rather look for a killer redbook player (for the 2000+ CDs in my collection:D ) that will leave my Sony in the dust in terms of musicality, details and dynamics. Since I have plenty of HDCDs it's better to have HDCD as well. Any ideas?:wave: :help:

2. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

Take a look at Meridian if at all possible, although I'm not sure what their SACD options are.

3. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Here's my three favorite:

Rega Saturn, $2500 US
    Ayre CX-7e, $2995 US
    Meridian GO8, $4000 US

The Rega is a bit on the warm analog side, the Meridian is a bit more
    detailed.

The Ayre is smack dab in the middle and is my personal favorite in this price range. Depending on the overall sound you like, either of these three are fantastic!

We will have reviews on the Ayre and the Meridian in the new issue of TONE, out in about 10 days...

4. antonkk

Thanx! :righton: Any of them play HDCD?

5. antonkk

Chek out my original post. :wave: I'm not looking fo a SACD player anymore. I'm done with the format.:thumbsdn:

6. Glen B

Glen B New Member

I too am in the market for a best-under-$5K player. There's the Cambridge Azur 840C CD player. Although the now discontinued Marantz SA11S1 is a SACD player, it also features excellent redbook CD playback. Its replacement, the SA11S2 will incorporate some of the same features and technology -- including the same transport -- as the flagship SA7S1 and is supposed to further raise the performance bar.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The North Star M192 DAC and dedicated transport using I2S can be had for around $3000.

I really love my M192 DAC.

8. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

So...what's the best CD player under $200?

9. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I'm happy with my Meridian GO6, but it doesn't do SACD or HDCD, no idea what the $ amount is though.

10. Toka

Toka Active Member

11. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Thanks!

12. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I think mods are your best value. I don't know who's doing what, but there are lotsa folks out there offering mods for CD players these days.

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Would you say that the redbook playback on these players is significantly better than the Sony XA9000ES? I think that is what Antonkk is most interested in.

15. haas

haas Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Naim CDX2

16. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

I really don't mean to sound patronising (honest) but I have never heard a Japanese player that could get anywhere near the quality of a Meridian in terms of sound quality - not even close. Meridian are premier league and I doubt that Sony are even 1st division (my opinion only, please don't take it personally)

17. Glen B

Glen B New Member

No disrespect to Meridian but obviously the folks at Stereophile Magazine think otherwise. The Esoteric X-01 Limited and Sony SCD-XA9000ES, two Japanese players both have a class A+ rating in Stereophile Magazine's current recommended components listing, together with the Meridian 800. The Marantz SA8001 is rated class "A" on the list. At that level it all comes down to personal taste and proper system matching.

18. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

a second hand Linn Ikemi for $2k

19. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Ohh! That looks nice!

Shame I'd never be able to demo one over here :cry:

Edit : OMG! That sucker retails for $9000 in Australia!

20. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

The answer is easy. Buy the best Naim player you can afford. Everyone loves their cd players. They have a grip on music like no other I've heard. They actually approach the pleasure of high end analog.

If you are willing to buy used, get a CDS II/XPS (it's two boxes with a power supply the size of a power amp) or a CDX/XPS (some think the CDX is too forward but it's a matter of taste), or, for less money, a CD5 with Hicap. The CDS is also a fantastic player too, but transports might be difficult to find if it breaks.

New go for a CDX2 (which is a big jump from the CDX) or a CD5x/Hicap.

21. 926am

926am Senior Member

I love my Naim CD5X with Hicap. And it plays HDCD.

22. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I own the exact same, and love it.

I wouldn't personally get to caught up in having a SACD capable anymore. Dead format IMO, at least for rock.

23. JayB

JayB Senior Member

With all due respect, I wouldn't put much weight in Stereophile's "ratings"

24. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I would also recommend the G08 (and the Linn Ikemi). Ayre, Rega, Naim are all good choices as well. British players have a different character than the Japanese - if you can, audition them in your listening room.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It's interesting in that the $3K Ayre CX-7e did better than the $30K or so CD555 in Stereophile's Recommended Components listing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.