The best CD player under $5000?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

There are too many excellent and well mastered/remastered redbook CD's to choose from and the audio industry knows that the redbook CD will stay for so many years and aware that it is still the most popular music source media.
    That's the main reason why so many small high-end companies and some giant audio firms keep on improving the format and making even better CD players that approach the sound quality of the best vinyl playback system.
    Getting a good sound is not only about the higher resolutioin that the new technology provides but it also depends on excellent overall engineering to make the sound more natural and less fatiguing. Examples are the use of highest-grade components, better PCB's, better layout, more innovative circuit designs, shielding from interference, better-sounding analog circuitry, and the likes.
    Any of the recommended dedicated CD players here will kill the Oppo in terms of overall musicality (soundstage, fatigue factor, analog-like sound, palpability, air around instrument, etc.)

2. AudiophilePhil

There are too many excellent and well mastered/remastered redbook CD's to choose from and the audio industry knows that the redbook CD will stay with us for so many years and they are also aware that it is still the most popular music source media in terms of production quantity.
    That's the main reason why so many small high-end companies and some giant audio firms keep on improving the format and making even better CD players that approach the sound quality of the best vinyl playback system.
    Getting a good sound is not only about the higher resolution that the new technology provides but it also depends on excellent overall engineering to make the sound more natural and less fatiguing. Examples are the use of highest-grade components, better PCB's, better layout, more innovative circuit designs, shielding from interference, better-sounding analog circuitry, overkill vibration-free transport system, and the likes.
    The main reason why most of the CD players that were recommended here are that expensive is because those manufacturers put so much attention to details and labor of love to make a state-of-the-art product that will give a lifetime of musical satisfaction.
    Any of the recommended dedicated CD players here will kill the Oppo in terms of overall musicality (soundstage, fatigue factor, analog-like sound, palpability, air around instrument, etc.)

3. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Sorry but I think you are mistaken on a couple things.

This is not what compression is. You're confusing data compression with dynamic range compression.

Go check that out. Your DVD's are probably using Dolby Digital which is commonly used at 384kbps (yes, a lossy codec), which is a downgrade from CD's 16/44 PCM. There are many DVD's with a stereo PCM layer. Very rarely will you find a 24bit one (I can't think of one)--they are all 16/48. Oh another thing, CD's aren't usually 16/44, they always are :p

I do agree with you, a lot of DVD's sound better than their CD counterpart. You mentioned Pulse--I listen to the DVD rip of that, rather than the CD. Same with QOTSA's Over the Years and Through the Woods; the CD is heavily edited for time and then super maximized (very loud), whereas the DVD has much more content and sounds quite a bit better.

However in those cases, I don't think it's due to the minimal differences in sampling rate (which doesn't help anything really imo), it's due to mastering style and technique.

DVD-A's are a different story by the way, their DVD-A layers do have 24/96, of course.

4. AudiophilePhil

duplicate post.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Amazing shot in the dark - I had no idea you once owned an Explorer!

6. FastEddy

FastEddy Member

Some interesting DVD-A and SACD lists = Universal DVD-A: http://consumers.umusic.com/dvda/releases.html ... and ... Universal SACD: http://consumers.umusic.com/sacd/releases.html ... and ... http://consumers.umusic.com/sacd/releases2.html estimated 5000+ titles

DVD-A from AIX Records: http://www.aixrecords.com/catalog/catalog.html
    [​IMG] ... several hundred titles.
    " ... AIX Records DVD-Audio/Video Discs features:
    * Sessions recorded at 96 kHz/24 bits!
    * All digital high-resolution signal path - no artificial processing (?)
    * Mixed in 5.1 Channel Surround Sound in the Digital Domain
    * Alternative Mixing POVs - "Stage" AND "Audience" (?)
    * Compatibility with DVD-Audio and DVD-Video Players (!)
    * Multiple Camera Angle Video of the Sessions
    * Dolby Digital, DTS and MLP Audio Encoding (!) ..."

DTS Entertainment: http://www.dtsonline.com/shopping/catalogue/music.php ... 90+ titles

Classic Records: http://www.classicrecords.com/search.cfm?code=DAD&order_by= (55 titles / 96k) ... and ... http://www.classicrecords.com/search.cfm?code=HDAD&order_by= (25 titles / 192k)
    [​IMG]

No Joy, no searchable DVD-A database from Warner Bros.: http://store.warnerbrosrecordsstore.com/ ... estimated 1500+ titles in DVD-A.

EMI in Europe is extensive, but you have to search each and every sub-label for titles ... no searchable DVD-A database, estimated 5000+ titles.

... There are more ... Like http://www.themusic.com/ a distributor of multiple short line labels, etc.

(" ... I had no idea you once owned an Explorer! ..." ... 196,240 miles, then donated it to Salvation Army and they promptly sold it!)

7. Metralla

Based on my memory, 5000 DVD-Audio discs is an over-estimate.

The hot spot for SACD is Aussie (from Canberra) Steven Best's SA-CD.net

8. FastEddy

FastEddy Member

" ... Based on my memory, 5000 DVD-Audio discs is an over-estimate. ..."

You could be right on there as there are lots of duplicate releases with multiple sleeve art and lots of dual disc sets that may get noted as such, but are really something else altogether. EMI is a real mixed bag, but then so is Warners and Universal.

Steven Best's SA-CD.net !! I'll give it a try = :cool:

9. FastEddy

FastEddy Member

Metralla: " ... The hot spot for SACD is Aussie (from Canberra) Steven Best's SA-CD.net ..."

A word of caution kids. Steven Best's is a compliation list of a huge catalog of SACD discs ... :goodie: ... BUT some of the links to the online stores may not produce the results intended. Example: Simple Minds "Once Upon A Time" ( http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/1410 ) is SACD recording, but if you buy from Amazon.com (USA) you may not get the same SACD quality or even a true SACD disc ... buy it from Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de rather than give Amazon.com (USA) an inventory challenge ... :cry: (I know, I know it says "Import", but: "Been there, done that, got burned.")

Oh, the joys of a PayPal account = US$ convers to Euros converts to Pounds converts to Yen, with no extra charges, same day exchange rates!! I wish there was an international PayPal service for my business called, I don't know, PayUp or PayTheMan or some such?

10. Metralla

Hey FastEddy, you might find it easier to use the quote button and then trim down the quoted text to just the bit you need. May look better than:

11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Folks, can we please get back to original question of the thread???:confused: This one is not about DVD players, universal players or hi-rez in general. This thread is about Hi End standalone red book players! Thanx!:wave:

Btw, since we mentioned Micromega does anyone knows if Audiomeca is still in business as well? Their Mephisto model was one of the legends of the 90's.

12. FastEddy

FastEddy Member

" ... you might find it easier to use the quote button ..."

Old habits ... Thanks for the tips anyway.

13. Metralla

Threads drift - the way of the world.

14. FastEddy

FastEddy Member

EOS = End of Story, I'm outta here ... :nauga:

15. AudiophilePhil

Let's start a new discussion thread on SACD, DVD-A and universal players and I will be very happy to see and read again your posts there.

16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Try the Onyko...as much as I would like to have the Bryston, $599 (list price) is enough to me for a cd-only player...

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Motorcitydave, I'm looking for a spectacular upgrade from Sony XA9000ES ($3300 when I bought it).:shh:

18. motorcitydave

Ok. But, try the Onkyo anyway...seriously.

19. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

you really need to hear it with your amps. Naim CD players can sound wrong with other people amps.

20. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

21. Aleksey

Aleksey New Member

!

If you think to replace your player and find something better, choose CD-players with Philips PRO-2 upper load
    system.
    It's the best for a day. But perhaps you'll have to add some $$$$.
    Sometimes EBAY can save your budget.

Udachi!

22. peteham

peteham Senior Member

23. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

As an owner, I recommend Dan Wright's ModWright Denon 3910. It's the best Redbook player under $5,000 IMHO. Plus, you get the bonus of SACD.

24. motorcitydave

25. Lazy0ne

Lazy0ne Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.