The best CD player under $5000?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

The best CD player under $5000?

Easy an Orelle CD-100 Evo

2. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Bel Canto CD2:

3. Sideshow Dave

Sideshow Dave Forum Resident

After reading this thread I'm considering upgrading my CD player. Currently I play CD's on my Denon 2930 universal player. What's the general consensus on this unit? If I want to step up to the next level, what would I be noticing in terms of sound? That is, when I'm trying them out in the store, what should I pay attention to? For example, I'm currently thinking about a Bryston or used Marantz player. Should I hear the difference right away, or is the improvement more subtle?

Dave

4. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

I can't tell you the best one in your system. I liked the YBA One Alpha with external PSU or two. Nice sounding rig. Can be found under $5000 used.
    Best of luck.

5. Glen B

Glen B New Member

Marantz SA-11S2. Fantastic as a redbook player. SACD is icing on the cake, taking things a step up.

6. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

The SACD player looks very interesting. What's the latest on this? Has the price gone down since then? My other main concern is whether or not if there is a US distributor for this thing.

7. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

As this thread has been going since 2007, there have been some more additions to the list of choices. You have quite a few options if you include used gear into the mix. $5k should buy a pretty fantastic player, there are even some first generation Meridian 808's on the market now for around 5k.

That would probably be the one I'd buy for that kind of $$...

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'd get Allen Wright's (Vacuum State Electronics) modifications to my Sony SCD-XA5400ES. That would give me the Terra Firma clock as well as keeping the balanced outputs. Modification costs - circa $1600.

Depending on how much you paid for your 5400 (1100-1500), your total cost varies. I'd be looking at $3100.

I can't see any new player under $5000 new beating that.

I can imagine a used player at $5000 going close on CD (the Meridian) but not having a great SACD playback as well.

Plus I'd have $2k left over!

9. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I'd buy a Linn Unidisk 1.1 second hand for <$5K - plays everything except Blu-Ray.

Oh, I did that already!

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good one.

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

CD player? soooo 2007.....

wonder how a ModWright Transporter would stack up against any player in that price range?

12. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

13. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

How is the transport on this tube CD/SACD player?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.