The best region for Audiophile

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

I’ve bought my last two turntables there and had positive experiences both times. They let me demo the P3 in my home system and we’re very helpful about the whole process.

2. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

Stereotypes in Portland is one of my favorite shops i've been to anywhere such a laidback cool place with lots of nice gear....

Bubbamike and bhazen like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

and sadly the midwest (including chicago) is good but not up to par with the coasts.

Tawaun A Williams and recstar24 like this.
  4. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I live in Sydney and there are a handful spread over the suburbs. None that I know of in the CBD except for the MFSL music in Redeye Record.
    I spend quite a bit of time in Bangkok and there are 4 hi-end Audiophile shops all in 1 shopping mall - the AMARIN PLAZA (1st floor). All I can do is window shop and drool.

5. I'll first say that I'm Spanish and I live in Southern Spain :)realmad: :cussing::mudscrying:), but to answer your question I have no doubt that the best place for audiophiles is THE UNITED KINGDOM OF THE GREAT BRITAIN. They design and make great equipment, it's the home land of my my idolized B&W speakers, it has a great living standard, nice weather (yes, I do like cloudy weather and rain) and beautiful lanscapes and monuments to visit. With on line shopping almost everything you get in the US can be got in the UK. Am I worshipping the UK? Yes, I am.
    I was a fool not to move to the UK when I was younger and healthy,before my accident in 2012. Maybe in another life...

6. Cylontymany

Cylontymany Forum Resident

I used to live in a suburb of Portland Oregon. No sales tax. Tons of vinyl and decent repair shops that also sell gear. Mid Century retro stores too! That part of it I will miss. The politics and high cost of living and homeless situation I will not miss.

Tawaun A Williams and thomaskong like this.
  7. ss nimrod

ss nimrod Forum Resident

We live on Long Island, western Suffolk County, half the town is protected "Park" lands", We are in Mid-Town Manhatten in under an hour.
    We're 1 minute from our town, 2 minutes from the beach and pretty much everything you want (restaurants/Clubs/Concert Halls) is within a 15-20 minute car ride.

I've picked up great gear over the years, there's a high end Audio shop 15 minutes away, several record stores within 10 minutes, and the culture of NYC is right down the street (We go to several Broadway shows a year most recently Tina Tuner).

The down side of living here is trying to leave..... The bridges and tunnels are old, no new ones built in the last 60 years, but the population has increased big time, so the traffic at the bridges and tunnels can be soul crushing. Yes its expensive, but the jobs here pay more so it balances out.

I travel for work, so I've seen most of the country, had several job offers over the years (Chicago / San Francisco) but I turned them down as I can't see myself living anywhere else. Our son lives in Philly as he's getting his masters at Nova, he can't wait to move back to NY.

Tawaun A Williams and thomaskong like this.
  8. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Dear me, I need new glasses.

Browsing the forum I read the title of this discussion as "The best religion for Audiophile" and went thinking that it's a bit strange because isn't audiophilia already classified as such?

Fender Relic likes this.
  9. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I lived in Centerport for several years.

10. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Singapore
    Dubai
    California
    Arizona

11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I was looking at one of those top 5 places to live in US 2019 lists and I was surprised 2/5 were in PA...Lancaster and Pittsburgh. Those 2 are probably fairly decent. We have sales and estate taxes though and certain RE taxes can be high depending on location. I have 2 sons both in Pittsburgh now, one just recently. I've already partaken of the good vinyl and music stores there over the years but I'm not really that familiar yet with an overall knowledge of the city. It seems like a lot of small diverse communities all up against each other with distinct personalities so lots of social variation but unification over their sports teams. I think Pittsburgh has always had a good reputation as a music town especially for Jazz,Doo-Wop,and R&R. I only know of one high end audio place,Music To My Ear, for records on ground floor and upstairs is the audio shop....Northern Audio,maybe? I think there are others, not like back in the 70's/80's though from what I've been told. I'm sure other 'Burghers will chime in if they read this thread. You have all 4 seasons for weather but overall fairly temperate. Almost forgot, the legendary Jerry's Records. Although, there are a number of other good stores around the city.

12. ss nimrod

ss nimrod Forum Resident

10 minutes away, we're in Kings Park

AKA "Center of the known Universe"

Al Gator likes this.
  13. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Cambridge (DCS, Arcam, Quad, Meridian etc) and we have proper manly electricity here too.
    West Sussex for SME and the seaside

14. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Stevenage for Michell (and fights in the town centre on a Friday night).

15. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

I lived for over 20 years in Manhasset. Maybe not as close as you two gentlemen in distance but with a common roadway of 25A that runs through all of our towns. Heck 25A runs all the way to the 59th Street Bridge in NYC.

Yes, Long Island roads have become steadily become more crowded. That’s the downside of living in a place that’s nice to live, lotsa other people wanna live there too. Great for real estate values though.

ss nimrod likes this.
  16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Guess New York City as you could get any service there from expensive high-end new gear to service on vintage tube gear and also buy vintage gear in a few stores.

17. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ss nimrod likes this.
  18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You're trolling. ;)

LitHum05 and ss nimrod like this.
  19. mr clean

mr clean Forum Resident

I live in Southern Indiana also. Not many here but I can be in Indy, St Louis,Nashville,Louisville, in less than 3 hours if I want to visit some Hi Fi stores. I have been here my whole life. The humidity does kick my ass. Im over near Evansville. Where are you located?

20. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

From my understanding from my dad back in the day Ohio was 1 of the meccas of home audio Dayton, Springfield, Cincinnati, Columbus, Middletown,Oxford and Hamilton. I certainly remember being lugged around to dozens of Audio stores as a youngsta and im not even talking about record shops....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.