The best SHM-SACDs (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Can't a thread now go beyond 1000 posts like the Rumours'?

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think that Liege and Lief, Sticky Fingers, Who's Next, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and the three Stevie Wonder titles are the ones that I like the best. I wonder if it is a coincidence that these titles are all mastered from overseas, supposedly "original" tapes.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It obviously can, but I think it's a matter of pride for the Rumours LP thread to stand out with the most posts and views.

5. KeithH

I read one :thumbsup: vote for the Ornette Coleman The Shape of Jazz to Come SHM-SACD at the end of the first thread. Any other opinions?

6. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

We like to keep threads under the 1000 post mark, makes it easier to manage. :wave:

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Marking the territory ...;)

8. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

With an unmarked cop car...

9. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

An interesting Diana Krall comparison at audioasylum. "Love Scenes" that also was released as an SHM-SACD now in may.

I thought the SACD and the SHM-SACD used the same DSD masters?? :shh:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/27/272625.html

10. KeithH

Sometimes. :D

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Peeing in the yard.

12. KeithH

My copy of Innervisions arrived today, and while I haven't compared it yet to the MFSL gold CD or early Japanese CD pressings, this is one great SACD. The sound is "organic", very natural. This is an enjoyable listen.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I may have to get this since I missed the gold one.

14. KeithH

Get it Lee. If you buy it on my recommendation and don't like it, I'll compensate you by saying "I'm sorry."

:D

15. hutchy

hutchy Forum Resident

Yep, listened to Innervisions last night and was thouroughly impressed. I have the MFSL and the 2000 Motown remaster and couldn't resist a quick comparison. Tonaly both MFSL and SHM-SACD are very similar - smooth, warm and enveloping. For my comparison between the 3 I went to the "harmonica" break on the first track, Too High (around the 2 minute mark). While the MFSL was warm and detailed, and actually a pretty impressive listen, the SHM-SACD took it one step further by adding a more 3 dimensional sound to the section. The dual harmonicas seemed to come further from the left and right of the stereo picture with a stunning realism. The same section on the 2000 Motown remaster I was suprised with...it didn't actually sound too bad, very detailed, but pretty soon the cymbals started sounding "chalky" and the overall presentation was too bright. The cymbals on the SHM-SACD during this section sound beautiful, especially the playing on the bell of the cymbal. On the 2000 Motown remaster their is more "ping" but it's also a little distracting.

Yes, I'm very happy with this purchase. A good companion to the SITKOL SHM-SACD, also mastered by Ellen Fitton. I also have the Talking Book SACD and gave it a quick listen last night, but am yet to listen to it properly. First impressions are that it's every bit as good as SITKOL and Innervisions. So far others have reviewed it favourably.

16. KeithH

Thanks for the comparative review. I also have the 2000 remaster but probably won't bother comparing it to the SACD. Those remasters are lousy in my opinion. It doesn't surprise me that the MFSL gold disc shares similar qualities with the SACD, as I find the gold disc to be warm and natural.

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This morning I finally put on my SHM-SACD to Steely Dan's GAUCHO album.

This may be the best-sounding SHM-SACD I've heard yet. It's just about perfect.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Wow, great news. I haven' gotten 'round to playing my SHM-SACD of INNERVISIONS yet and was putting it off because I thought it would inevitably be inferior to the MFSL .... we know the real master tapes don't leave their vault, no? Anyway, I'm now looking forward to hearing the SHM-SACD.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Damn, this reply cost me some money. :D

Anonamemouse likes this.
  20. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Only 1 advice ... Judge with your own ears and system :)

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I can't remember if this SACD used the PCM 16/44 master or a Japanese copy tape?

If it's the latter it would be very interesting to check the frequency response; i.e. to check if the copy tape was made from the 16/44 master or from the (now deteriorated) analog master.

22. chriss71

chriss71 Active Member

You don't know how 1000% I will second that. I have the Roger Nichols, MFSL and the SHM-SACD! And yes on my system the SHM-SACD is the best, BUT if you have the MFSL listen to the SHM-SACD first. I don't know, if you will spent so much money for the SHM-SACD.

If anybody want I can upload samples! :cheers:

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That would be great! Yes please. :cheers:

I have heard the Nichols, the MFSL and the original SACD. I prefered the SACD.

24. chriss71

chriss71 Active Member

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Patience. The discs will still be there tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.