The best SHM-SACDs (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Enigma is the thing. I loved it in 90's very much and was waiting for 24-bit remaster - never happened. So, I don't know what did they do for this release? It's an enigma to me, but I let you know, guys.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Kkfan likes this.
  2. toilet_doctor

P.S.S.
    Just added Santana The Best of... SACD on eBay from the importcd. for 29.88 + free shipping - will comment soon.
    Santana - Best Of Santana [SACD New]

3. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^^^ Unless any of the titles you recently posted about are SHM-SACDs, you're thread-crapping, IMO...

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    toilet_doctor likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

This isn't a SHM-SACD and it's not a very good sounding SACD IMO.

Bill

5. toilet_doctor

With all due respect, Bill, what is your opinion based on?

6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I think his opinion is based on the fact that no Super High Material was utilized during the manufacture of the SACD. :D
    We need to be talking about SHM-SACDs on this thread. If you want to start a thread on Sony Hong Kong SACDs, go right ahead.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm obviously not Bill, but he has the Santana SACD and has commented about it here:

Best of Santana Sacd ??? »

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It would be nice if there were new SHM-SACDs to discuss. :)

Bill Mac and warp2600 like this.
  9. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

It sure would. And if they went back to the original Mini LP format in the packaging, it would be even better. Gee I miss that packaging.

toilet_doctor, Bill Mac and warp2600 like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My opinion is based on the fact that I own The Best of Santana SACD :). Keith was kind enough to provide the link to the appropriate thread to view comments on a number of SACDs from Hong Kong. I also wish there would be more SHM-SACD releases in the LP style packaging.

Bill

carrolls, rstamberg and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It's bad Uni Japan stopped the SHM-SACDs.

12. toilet_doctor

New tread will be opened today that we can discuss new and old titles, not the only Santana one.
    I will provide the link. Please wait, guys.

jhm, rstamberg and Echo like this.
  13. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Very good, I'm afraid this thread is more or less dead, so your new thread about the new Hong Kong SACD releases in the pop and rock genre is more than welcome!

Maybe first a good start by lining up the most recent HK releases? I'm very attracted to the Enigma SACD, so please, let all the reviews come! :)

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    toilet_doctor and rstamberg like this.
  14. toilet_doctor

15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

How is the SHM-SACD for Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow compared to the WG Polydor?

16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Best way I can describe it, the SHM-SACD is more analogue sounding and realistic, whereas the Polydor (although well mastered) has a digital edge to it.

hvbias and rjstauber like this.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The SHM is the one to get for that album. Less bright and more bass. Just a better mastering. Buy with confidence. :righton:

hvbias likes this.
  18. HumanMedia

HumanMedia Forum Resident

Compared again the Dire Straits ST Platinum SMH CD (original master) with the SHM-SACD (Japan copy tape?).

SHM-SACD sounds better. If the Platinum SHM CD is a flat transfer it might explain it as it needs the forced splashy highs eqed down to make it bearable. The SHM-SACD may not be perfect but overall it's more pleasing to these ears.

19. This.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Better midrange on the SHM-SACD. It is the best digital pressing. Slightly better than the original Japan CD and close to my original Polydor LP.

hvbias likes this.
  21. Are you sure you did not mix up the two copies? The SHM-SACD is the one that is brighter and louder (less dynamic) compared to the SHM-CD. To my ears, the SHM-CD is much more pleasant to listen to, much easier on the ears and more crankable.

formu_la and ricks like this.
  22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Exactly. I found the SHM-SACD to be horrid and the Plat SHM-CD is now my preferred digital.

23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Which Emotional Rescue CD bests the SHM-SACD?

24. None. It's definitive as far as I'm concerned. Others may hear things differently.

Shawn, mbrownp1, jh901 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Agree with this. Shm-sacd is definitive digital. Imo, shm-sacd is best on most. Japan 32dp - CBS - Virgin, all have characteristics I like on these titles (where applicable). But, shm sacd ends up the final statement certainly on ER.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.