The best SHM-SACDs (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

You should consider opening your profile to all forum members for your SQ-related comments to be taken seriously, IMO...

2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

None. In fact, I have just finished buying all the SHM-SACD releases of the Stones albums from Sticky through Dirty Work. Everyone here knows I love everything the Stones have done (to some varying degree), but these discs have breathed new life into the records and reinvigorated my Stones listening experience.

There are certainly obvious excellent records in the Stones discography and then there are records like Dirty Work and Undercover and ER which I already liked (most people don't) and now really LOVE listening to because of the quality of these releases.

3. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

The newer Steely Dan offerings are really good. I never heard these before but Countdown to Ecstasy is a really dense recording that I can only imagine may be difficult to get right on vinyl. Same with Pretzel Logic....I am somewhat amazed I never dug deeper into their catalogue until now. I just thought Cant Buy a Trill and Aja were so good, they couldn't possibly have other records worth hearing.

4. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Just ordered the SHM- captain beyond and the Armageddon releases.....anyone heard them, and can anyone comment on the sound quality. ??

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  5. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

I completely agree. Nothing i've heard from the Stones catalogue sounds better than the SACD releases.

Plan9, marcb, PhantomStranger and 2 others like this.
  6. You said it all!

7. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Even the first pressing LPs?

8. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

I'm not a vinyl man. There's only one place for Snap, Crackle and Pop in my opinion:

[​IMG]

:hide:

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I generally think they are the best digital versions except I find Exile too bright and I prefer the original CBS CD for Goats but I'm probably the minority.

10. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

yup

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The Exile SACD sounds like remarkably similar to the original Artisan vinyl cut (which some say is too bright, but IMO anything less "bright" is dull through the the rest of the spectrum...unfortunately it's just a flawed recording and nothing is going to make it perfect).

I don't know it for fact, but I'm of the opinion that the SACD is a flat transfer of an early cutting master sent to the UK.

12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Interesting.

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Can someone weigh in on SHM-SACDs of The Band vs the MFSL SACDs? I have the MFSL LP for Music From Big Pink and there is so much bass on that LP compared to my second pressing LP (which has really nice balanced sound) that I really don't care for the sound of the MFSL vinyl.

RubenH likes this.
  14. Can't compare the LP's but I have the MFSL SACD's and I like them, but not nearly as much as I do the SHM-SACD's which are definitive from my perspective. The detail in the Japanese versions are stunning. Highly recommended. :tiphat:

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Same here, for the Band albums I have heard, I slightly prefered the SHM-SACDs to the MoFis.

formu_la, Shvartze Shabbos and hvbias like this.
  16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ugh, hearing those Band shm-sacds are better than the mofi sacds alway nags me to no end but I can never get myself to pull the trigger on them. I am happy enough with the mofi but I can certainly imagine the shms being better.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yep, me too, SHM-SACDS are better than the MOFI's.

18. The Band SHM-SACDs are better in every case I've heard. Music From Big Pink SHM-SACD is clearly smoother and tighter. That is not to say there is anything wrong with the MFSL SACDs. I have them all and don't regret it.

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Every SHM-SACD by The Band sounds better as the Mofi's. The Mofi's sound like transfered from 2nd generation tapes. Can't recommend it.

bmoregnr likes this.
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I still feel the MoFis are the second best after the SHMs. They are certainly better than the standard remasters... Rock of Ages sounds awesome for example.

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right, but the remix sounds light years better ;)

bmoregnr likes this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There was a remix?

EDIT: oh I see, in 2013, with 5.1 sound. I completely missed out on this for some reason. :sweating:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  23. Where do you see the 2013 remixed version?

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The Band’s ‘Rock of Ages’ Is the Greatest Live Album Ever : "Capitol has just (sort of) rereleased the album as part of a deluxe box set called Live at the Academy of Music 1971. The original album was a compilation: the 17 sharpest, shapeliest tracks recorded during the Band’s four-night New Year’s stand at New York’s Academy of Music in December 1971. The new set rearranges, remixes, and augments the original. The first two discs are basically the Rock of Ages recordings resequenced and presented in crystalline new stereo mixes by master engineer Bob Clearmountain. The third and fourth discs feature a single concert—the New Year’s Eve show, with Dylan as special guest—and a less polished “soundboard” mix. There’s also a 5.1 surround mix of the first two discs on a separate audio DVD and a 48-page full-color booklet [...]"

The Band - Live At The Academy Of Music 1971 [4 CD/DVD Combo] - Amazon.com Music

25. Ah, of course. It's on my shelf. Hadn't had a second cup of coffee yet. Thank you, sir. :tiphat:

Plan9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.