The Best Song on The Beatles ‘With the Beatles’ Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

For me, it's "You Really Got A Hold On Me" by a country mile. John's vocal is perfect as are the harmonies. It blows The Miracles' original version out of the water.

DK Pete likes this.
  2. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

In a league of their own

1) All I've Got to Do
    2) It Won't Be Long

Great, great stuff

3) Please Mr. Postman (pure power and energy -- the Fabs had the best cover selections {with their own spins on them} of any band that I can think of)
    4) Roll over Beethoven (see above re covers)
    5) You Really Got a Hold on Me (and... another great cover -- however there's a televised live version by the Miracles that tops this performance IMO)
    6) All My Loving
    7) Not a Second Time
    8) Don't Bother Me
    9) Money (and... another)
    10) Till There was You (I've always enjoyed this oft-slagged song/performance)
    11) I Wanna Be Your Man (yes, not a great composition and Sir Richie's vocals are weak, but the instrumental break is balls-to-the-wall -- straight out of Hamburg / Cavern)

The only missteps (though still not bad)

12) Devil in Her Heart
    13) Hold Me Tight
    14) Little Child

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  3. john lennonist

Haven't played it enough (maybe only two times) to comment with confidence.

However I'm one who almost always prefers well-mastered, well-pressed vinyl to digital, so I doubt the CD can match the tonality, power and bass of the -1N / -1N LP.

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Unsurprisingly the creepy Little Child unexceptional I Wanna Be Your Man are bottom two. Was totally wrong about Money, though.

5. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

Interesting. My -5N/-5N is indeed bass shy. My 2014 Mono vinyl and 2009 Mono cd sound exceptionally better.

6. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

Went with All My Loving, though the first two tracks were also in consideration. All My Loving is one of the most outstanding pop love songs I've ever heard (amazingly not even The Beatles best). It's fantastic melody and lyrics set it over any other song on the album.

7. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

*All I’ve Got To Do

An underrated gem and one a standout Lennon performance.

8. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Little Child may not be a great song, but creepy? I suppose if you took 'little child' 100% literally. What's next - should we be offended by any lyrics that refer to 'Baby'? That's a lot of songs.

9. john lennonist

There were also -3N / -3N and -7N / -7N in the original runs (not sure if there are others).

Kinda strange that they seemed to only do odd numbers for the Mono of this LP.

moofassa_ca likes this.
  10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

I'm not offended. I never said I was. Baby is a term that is used a lot today referring to a woman. Child, and especially not little before it, isn't taken in any way other than literally today. I'm 16 years old, so it has always seemed weird to me, but I know that given the context of when the song was made it was a normal term. The lyrics, "I'm so sad and lonely" are what makes it worth mentioning.

11. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

It IS a great cover, but The Miracles' version is just as good IMO. If it's possible, I find Smokey Robinson to be perhaps the most underrated musical figure of the 20th century. A lot of people don't know just HOW much he had to do with Motown's success and how many songs he wrote. The fact that The Beatles were able to do a version of a song he recorded and that I don't find it really inferior speaks to how great I think their version is. It's just hard for me to rank anyone ABOVE Smokey.

troggy and bvb1123 like this.
  12. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Not A Second Time for me as well. It's in my top 5 Beatles songs of all time.

13. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

For me it's "Roll Over Beethoven." I think it completely smokes Chuck Berry's version. The hand claps and Ringo's bass drum help propel that tune into a whole new place. I also love The Sonics' version of that song more than Chuck's ("Tell Tchai-KOW-ski the news!").

john lennonist likes this.
  14. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I voted for Not a Second Time thinking I'd be pretty much on my own. Nice to see it was the first choice of the OP!
    A brilliant song brilliantly performed.

15. pmc7070

pmc7070 Forum Resident

All I've Got To Do for me, although I love the entire album which was the first Beatles album that I got, Christmas 1963 aged 7.

john lennonist likes this.
  16. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Checked out the needledrop of -1N/-1N LP, Hold Me Tight has virtually inaudible bass guitar.

17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Not a Second Time with Don’t Bother Me a close second.

18. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

All I’ve Got To Do has always been a favorite early Beatles tune.
    Not A Second Time and Don’t Bother Me are my other favorites from the album.
    Best covers are Roll Over Beethoven and Money.
    John’s vocal on All I’ve Got To Do just gives me goosebumps every time I hear this song. My top pick.

Carl LaFong and john lennonist like this.
  19. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Forum Resident

1) Don't Bother Me - Great minor key gloom from George. And it rocks!
    2) All I've Got To Do - Alternated between this & DBM for #1. A really good song, and John sings the hell out of it. I notice from the comments that this tune garners a lot of silver here.
    3) You Really Got A Hold On Me - One of their best covers. Not quite Smokey but they're in the neighborhood, and that's quite an accomplishment.

blutiga and Clonesteak like this.
  20. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I'm another Don't Bother Me fan. It always sounds fresh to me. I love the 'because I know she'll always be the only girl for me' refrain.
    But that's all just a personal favourite thing. This whole album is so full of hooks and melodies and joyous middle eights. And the R&B covers are things of beauty and gusto. I think some of these songs form my very earliest connections to music via watching The Beatles cartoons on early morning tv as a toddler, some of my first memories I guess.

tages likes this.
  21. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Not a Second Time with more votes than All I’ve Got To Do and Money?

[​IMG]

22. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Hold Me Tight. Why the luke warm response among fans? I always loved this one. I remember reading somewhere that the singing is supposedly 'out of tune'?

A well respected man and tages like this.
  23. tages

tages Senior Member

It was actually announced as their next single at one point - I personally love it.

24. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Please Mister Postman - just love the vocal on this...

25. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Roll Over Beethoven with Money a close second, then All My Loving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.