The Best Song on The Beatles ‘With the Beatles’ Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Does everyone have the 13 mix? It's what this album should have been.

2. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Their worst album. The mono vinyl box version makes it tolerable.

owsley likes this.
  3. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

Not A Second Time is a great dark, stormy (and nasty) song. Might have worked well on A Hard Day's Night , somewhat modified. Definitely my favourite. Still surprises me, still sounds fresh.

4. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

What's the "13 mix"? :confused:

5. "All I've Got To Do"

honorable mention:
    "It Won't Be Long"
    "All My Loving"
    "Don't Bother Me"

amazing covers on this album too!!!

6. rwp2084

rwp2084 Forum Resident

All My Loving. My second choice would be It Won't Be Long.

7. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

It's one of those early songs where its sophistication is forever astonishing. One of the many reasons I prefer their early work.

Big Pasi likes this.
  8. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

What's the 13 mix?

9. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Favorite WTB track is by far George's brooding and moody 'Don't Bother Me' with that tremolo rhythm guitar (something that sadly the Fabs didn't use too often except for I Wanna Be Your Man and Paperback Writer I believe)

10. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Props to George Martin for that simple but effective piano part. The stereo Meet The Beatles mix is far superior IMO with the added reverb making the piano solo even more ominous.

YardByrd likes this.
  11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Don’t bring up that compilation lp:)

12. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

And John's vocal is amazing. On songs like this he sounds like the best singer in the world.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  13. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

Love Ringo's heavy metal drumming just prior to the great piano solo.

14. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

If you're a musician this is a terrific song to play.

illwind64 and owsley like this.
  15. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

John is on fire as a vocalist on this album. "All I've Got To Do" (knocks "All My Loving" out of the ballpark--what a vocal performance), "Please Mr Postman," and "Money" are out of this world.

In fact, I might be hard press to find an album in which Lennon and Harrison put in more affecting vocal performances--better, I am sure, but not necessarily as straight to the heart. Interestingly, it's Paul that is "off." He sounds out of key or something in "Hold Me Tight"--but, in its own way, it might actually add to the song.

YardByrd and Trixmay 988 like this.
  16. Jepogar

Jepogar Member

All My Loving.

Also impressed with You Really Got a Hold On Me.

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  17. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Rating the songs from best to worst.

1. Not a Second Time: Absolute genius. One of my all-time favourite songs. Hidden gem. It's so dark sounding - almost sinister, and I absolutely adore it. Ringo's fills are on fire this entire album (even if he keeps the same beat on almost every single song) and this is the best example of it. Legendary song all around. 10/10.

2. All I've Got to Do: John's vocals are stunning and so is the melody. Exceptional. 10/10.

3. It Won't Be Long: This could've been a single I reckon. I get why they didn't, it doesn't quite have that hit single type aspect to it, but I still think it would've done well. Amazing. 10/10.

4. Don't Bother Me: Even in the more negative-toned songs, which Please Please Me had quite a lot of, those were all about heartbreak. This one's got a bit of edge and bite to it which was unusual because this time around the singer is the one doing the heartbreaking and pushing away a girl. It's got a really dark sound to it and I ****ing love it. Incredible song and a hell of a start from George. Overlooked as hell as well. 10/10.

5. All My Loving: Everyone knows the genius of this legendary pop/rock classic. Nothing I can add there. 10/10.

6. Devil In Her Heart: I've always had a real soft spot for this song and I love when they did covers of girl-group songs because I love that kind of stuff. Love this song and I love the vocal performance on it. 10/10.

7. Money (That's What I Want): The overlooked (by casual fans) early rocker with an insane performance by John. The ending is nuts and the song kicks all kinds of ass. It's also the one and only song with centred stereo vocals on the first two albums which lends well to its hard-rocking nature. 9/10.

8. You Really Got a Hold On Me: It's repetitive but I don't care because it's such a great melody with yet another stunning vocal performance. 8.5/10.

9. Please Mister Postman: Another superb cover that rocks really hard. One of the rockiest songs they ever did. 8.5/10.

10. Hold Me Tight: A lot of people don't seem to like this song and I don't really understand why. It's a left-over from Please Please Me that fits better here and I think it's great. 8.5/10.

11. Little Child: Weird lyrics but that's okay. I like the vocals and I think it's got a great melody. 7.5/10.

12. I Wanna Be Your Man: Another hard rocker that the Stones did way worse and still got a number 1 with it. It's not a great song, but I do like it a lot nevertheless. 7.5/10.

13. Till There Was You: What's wrong with this song? Nothing. Nothing at all. George's solo is one of his best and it's just a really nice song. However, it doesn't appeal to me personally as much as the other songs. I do still really like it, though. 8/10.

14. Roll Over Beethoven: The worst song on the album is still really good. It's a good cover of a good song that again, rocks really nicely. 7.5/10.

18. It wont be long for the energy
    Till there was you for the love feeling

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  19. tages

tages Senior Member

Couldn’t disagree more. On certain days WITH THE BEATLES is my favourite album ever. The sound of BEATLEMANIA and an incredible shot heard round the world.
    Lennon’s voice is incredible, the songs are first rate, the playing is fantastic, the enthusiasm is unreal, pop music gets no better IMO. The Everly Brothers approach taken to its logical conclusion.

[​IMG]

YardByrd and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  20. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

John absolutely decimates his voice on Please Mister Postman. I agree with those who say this album contains many of his best vocal performances.

21. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

The first few seconds of Please Mr Postman are so good. Might be the strongest beginning to a Beatles song. Not sure what I think about the rest of the song.

22. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

5 of the 6 covers are on the U.S. The Beatles Second Album and all fit that album much better.

23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Changed my vote. I have never liked Roll Over Beethoven more than It Won't Be Long. No idea how it happened that I posted that first. One of life's Twilight Zone moments, I guess.

It Won't Be Long has always been my favourite song on WTB. That is one thing that has never and will never change.

wellhamsrus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.