the best sound (system) you ever heard

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by helter9skelter, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter9skelter

helter9skelter New Member Thread Starter

to this day i maintain strongly the best sound i ever heard was at the warners cinerama (not the dome) in hollywood when they presented from 1963-1964, "how the west was won" in 3-strip cinerama.

when the cinerama dome presented "how the west was won" in its original 3-strp format, in september of 2003, the sound was a major dissapointment. it was thin and very "un-lush". the cinerama sound was on a separate reel (7 tracks). i suppose they couldnt replicate it when it was shown in 2003. goes to show that old tube equipment still kicks ***.

i got a mule and her name is sal...

2. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

Genelec speakers in a recording studio

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Ben's
    Peace-
    Norm

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

sgb's place.

5. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

The Village Vanguard.

6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Shouldn't this be in the equipment section?

Best I ever heard was a Linn Sondek with Naim amplification and Linn Isobarik speakers at a local dealers around 1977

It was the first time I'd heard real high end equipment and it started me on the slippery slope I'm on now.

7. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Norm's. :edthumbs:

Jeff

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Systems with Wilson Watt Puppy's at those Sterophile Hi-Fi Shows held in NY every couple of years.

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Wilson Audio Alexandria powered by Krell and/or Spectral... CD/SACD playback by: Burmester, dCS and Spectral at my high end dealer in Munich (Germany).

10. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

This is a real hard question to answer. I've literally heard hundreds of systems in my days and many of them were excellent. Are we talking about PA systems, monitoring systems, hi-fi systems or other types of audio systems?

As far as the most revealing system that made a big impact on me, I'd have to mention my friend Bill's system. He has a Meridian front end, Rowland Research amplification, and a pair of B&W 802's in a well designed room. I hear things there that I've not heard elsewhere, but I've also heard many things on my personal system here that I've not heard elsewhere.

I've heard many glorious tube systems as well, but generally I'd call most of them more pleasing than accurate. This is not to say a tube system can't be accurate. I certainly haven't heard them all, and many tube systems have tremendous midrange detail.

Like I said, this is a very hard question for me to answer. There are just too many types of sound systems out there, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

My living room...but remember I'm easily impressed. :angel:

12. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Some of those late seventies setups had something about them. A lot of todays high end systems pack way more resolution and detail, but most of them don't grab the heart strings to the same degree.

Dave

13. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Its funny you say that. To me, they are the worst studio monitors ever made!

Just wait until you hear some old Rogers monitors being powered by a pair of McIntosh MC-60 monoblocks!

14. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

15. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

16. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

What he said. Of course, I've never heard Ben's :evil:

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Thanks Norm!....You are much too kind. I am humbled. Your system is not far behind. :thumbsup:

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:whistle: One day.... :D

19. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

The best system I've ever heard was Kevin Gray's system at AcousTech. How can anyone go back to listening on their old system after THAT?!

20. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I don´t know, but by look, the MBL system in the Kaufhoff store, in Berlin. €130.000

21. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

When I was a kid, I toured the Trans Maximus studios in Memphis, and couldn't believe my ears when they played back a Jeff Beck tape they were working on.

22. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I remember being very impressed at Walt Disney World, the old (and I believe now retired) multiple theaters in the 'big curved stage' format (like used for the President's robots, only this one was some sort of film. )

It started off with the Bach toccata, and went on (and down!) from there.

More recently, the IMAX in the Sony Metreon in San Francisco.

This stuff is way bigger and louder than you want at home, and IMO is that much closer to a 'real' musical or sound event.

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

24. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

My Kenner Close n' Play phonograph,truly the epitome of "High Fidelity"!

25. Rivendell61

Rivendell61 New Member

dsclar,
    Do you know which model Rowland amp your friend has?
    (Rowland, like Audio Research--in the SS models, has gone to all Class D amps recently)
    Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.